PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

markmdz89hatch
08-16-2002, 09:19 AM
Ok, I just got finished venting about my problem on another post. Now I need to figure out how to fix it.

How much of a pain in the ass is the head gasket to change? Can I do it myself, or do I need to bring it to a shop?

doug
08-16-2002, 10:51 AM
it's not easy. if your skill level is high and you got the time, do it, you'll save a ton of money, probably save enough to buy another car.

ACCORD EX
08-16-2002, 12:20 PM
yes it will sape you a lot of money ! but you may need the cylinder head to be machined ! :(

MIKE

doug
08-18-2002, 08:22 AM
i was out on the country roads today checking the body roll on the tight corners, get home, open the hood and look down at
were the head meets the block on the passanger side front corner by the engine # stamped in the block and notice a small
film of oil and what looks like real tiny bubbles coming from the gasket area. I guess I'm looking at a head gasket job also. what fun.

smufguy
08-18-2002, 01:00 PM
u defenitely need a torque wrench to get all that shit torqued to spec. u need a 1/2 inch drive ratchet or a braker bra to get the bolts out. follow the manual and not the haynes one, but one from paul's website

smufguy
08-18-2002, 01:00 PM
i meant to say breaker bar. hehehe.

night
08-18-2002, 01:37 PM
a fuel injected head is easy to pull.
when i had my carbs it was a pain in the ass.

i can pull my head now in 30min :D
45min with hand tools.

doug
08-18-2002, 02:24 PM
at this point, having never done it on a 3 G, I'd like to know, this is a carb version, if it is possible to undo the exhaust manifold and pull it back then undo the intake manifold, then pull it out of the way, deal with the timing belt, then do whatever else needs doing and lift the head up. It seems that would be the best of all possible worlds and make my life much happier at this point as I try to come to grips with what lies ahead. Any input appreciated.

Lester Lugnut
08-18-2002, 08:51 PM
Pull the exhaust manifold off. Leave the intake and all attached to the head, then pull the head with intake and all on. You'll need a couple of pairs of hands.

I learned this from a dealer tech. You can break in down once off.
Be sure to have head checked for warpage at a machine shop before putting it back together.

rocky2
08-19-2002, 03:20 PM
I have pulled heads off 4-bangers and left the manifolds in place with the use of a cherry picker,this saves time. Also I like to use new head bolts if the gasket is not original. Then take about 3 old bolts grind heads off and make studs to keep gasket in place and lower assemblie back down.