PDA

View Full Version : How is it to have a car in a third world country.

Mario Calero
11-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Well, this is not exactly a question nor a technical issue, it’s just a story, my personal story.

I’m 31 years old now, I bought my first and only car last December 4th, a Honda accord third gen, I live in a country where most people does not have a car ever, 75% doesn’t even have a job, of course there are rich people driving the car of the year, they are the 3% of the people. I represent the working people ( 22%), I support 9 people ( relatives mostly ) they are from the unemployed 75%.

I’m a system analyst, I work with computers, even though I managed to buy I car at the age of 31, a used one, I know for sure this is going to be the only one car in my lifetime. Some people here get to buy a car and have it sometime but then something urgent happens and they sell it and never get it back. Most people have to travel illegally to Costa Rica or USA to look for a job and a better life, if they get it, they won’t get back ever. I’m ok with my hard earned $700 a month. I won’t go anywhere, I’d like to visit USA sometime but never leave my country. I already have a brother living in Seattle, he escaped from civil War, he’s fine now but he works for himself, he doesn’t help us, he changed, he was very poor here but when he made it, he forgot about it.

Well, I had a precious god’s gift last year, I manage to get a car, I thought I would get a LADA or HYUNDAI some time, but never imagine to get a Honda!, now I fell in love with her, she’s my pride, she takes me everywhere and doesn’t stay behind any car, when I say GO he’s already there, when I say SLOW she’s quiet like a cat. I love my car, everyone has it’s personal story about his very first car but then they change to some other better car, some people keep his first car for sentimental reasons, others ( like me) would keep the same car for the rest of his life, I must say I’m proud to be Nicaraguan, I’m proud to be a very hard working man in a hard to live place on earth, I’m proud of my life and proud of being here at 3geez like the first Nicaraguan Honda owner subscribed, I speak Spanish all the time, I studied English at high school, I would not be worried by how to install the latest high tech sound system on my car, I would not be worried on extra power products or expensive accessories, I would just worry to keep my baby up and running, even though she’s kind of old, she’s a lady. I have a carburated accord, she’s 98 horse power, it has 240k and all of its pieces are original, the paint is a little bit wasted, it has some minor damage on its bodywork, it doesn’t have any accesory, She’s like they sell it, nothing expensive on it, it’s kind of sick since the carburator has a faulty piece and it’s making about 14 mpg but that’s other story, let’s say my accord won’t win the title of accord of the month by its look, but she’s my champion in my heart.

Some of you have more funny and happy stories, well, this is mine, My Honda and I are a team!, we will be on our first birthday together next December 4th , if anyone of you would like to send a postcard or a gift, we will be very pleased.

I would like to show some pics of my honda but I don't know how to post pictures here.

That’s it.

Mario Calero.
Managua, Nicaragua.

b8er
11-14-2005, 01:00 PM
thats a great read man, im sure im just like everybody else here we are happy to have you on the board. sounds like a tough life but good choice on the car, aha, you might have one or 2 semi-major problems with the car that you will have to take care of down the road but if you take care of her, do prober oil changes, wash her, etc.etc. you should have a problem with it, hope to see yea around on the board some more

Luis 89LXi
11-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Glad to have another spanish-speaker !!! i am mexican, proud to be mexican. Even when we're a third world coutry :sad2: .

Welcome to the board Mario, great history. most ppl here are in love whit 3rd gen accords too. This is a great site, very nice people here.

Luis

bobafett
11-14-2005, 01:42 PM
good to have you here!

hopefully we can help you keep the accord on the road.

to post images, as long as the images are uploaded onto the web somwhere, you just click the 'insert image' button in the quick reply window. its the 2nd over from the right. then you will enter the address of the image (assuming its online) and voila! :)

if your images are not hosted on a website already, you can email them to me and i will put them on my server... my email is [email protected]

DBMaster
11-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Quite a refreshing thing to hear considering that in the U.S. we are constantly bombarded with media telling us that no matter what we have it is never good enough.

Bienvenidos, amigo!

1ajs
11-14-2005, 03:55 PM
wow 3geez are down there they be kinda rare considering they did not sell them new down there....................... when my moither had the 3gee down in central amarica the police kept pulling over thinking it was a stolen car back in 93............. i don't consider mexico a 3rd world nation i consider it a 2nd world nation..........

great to here of 3geez down there maybe there hope for the million k 3gee to head back down agian

great story

Cant Stop
11-14-2005, 04:21 PM
cool if you need help shipping parts down there let me know i ship for my company all over the world and i am sure i can get it to you via u.p.s.
with some good $ so the duties wont be too bad.

Cant Stop
11-14-2005, 04:22 PM

Acid X
11-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Great story Mario. Congratulations on your first car. Keep her in good shape and she'll do the same for you!

3G Jester
11-14-2005, 06:58 PM
luis! i thougt you fell off the face of the earth man. havent seen you on here in a while.

mario that was a great story man, are you sure you dont wanna come to america? we need more people like you!

AccordDX86
11-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Good story. I'm glad this car makes you as happy as it does, sounds like someone like you deserves more than those rich guys. Take care of that car, and it will last forever.

Deadhead
11-14-2005, 07:32 PM
it's great to see people that are just gratefull for what they do have. It's a rare occurence in the world today, at least from what i know of living in the states.

That write up kinda humbled me. Makes my problems seem meaningless and they just don't compare.

Good to have you here and enjoy the 3g... they are great cars.

Luis 89LXi
11-15-2005, 01:29 PM
luis! i thougt you fell off the face of the earth man. havent seen you on here in a while.

I come here every single day . . . just dont post that often.