PDA

View Full Version : Is This excessive??

3rdCoast
11-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Im gonna be running 2 amps. For the subs is an MTX6500D and for the other speakers an eclipse PA5422. I was thinkin of runnin 2ga. power wire to a distribution block and then 4ga. to each amp and their grounds. That seem over the top for amps im gonna be runnin. I might just do 4ga. power to the block then 8ga to the amps. Just wanted to see what some others might think before i go droppin almost $100 on just wireing

Ludi Mali
11-15-2005, 02:06 PM
if you go with a high quality cable 4ga from the battery will be fine. You need to look at a cross-section of the cable tho. I've seen a kicker 8ga next to a raptor 4ga and they both had the same amount of metal, and the kicker had smaller strands(= better flow).

3rdCoast
11-15-2005, 02:10 PM
so higher strand count? Ok so this could turn into a brand name thing. The kits im seeing dont really tell you the strand count or anything that technical about them from what i've seen.........

POS carb
11-15-2005, 02:59 PM
I had a Monster Cable 4 gauge front to trunk when I was running 900 watts RMS, never heated up///

3rdCoast
11-15-2005, 03:09 PM
yeah im gonna be runnin about 900w rms myself.......

FyreDaug
11-15-2005, 06:39 PM
if you have to ask it probably is

3rdCoast
11-15-2005, 06:44 PM
what????? all the kits i see had fuses that are too small. How r u gonna run 2 amps at a lil more than 900w rms with a pussy ass 80 amp fuse

Vanilla Sky
11-15-2005, 08:06 PM
well, i'm the guy that would oversize everything. even for my 200 watt amp, i'm going 4 guage, and it's about half the distance in my truck when comparing it to the 3gee. of course, i do want the room for upgrading.

with that said, that's the question you need to ask. are you ever going to upgrade your amp(s)? if the answer is yes, install wire large enough now for what you plan to install later.

also, i've seen quite a few setups in which the power wire was all welder wire. you can get it at places like tractor supply company and welding shops. when i looked last, 2 guage was like $1.29 a foot, but you could wrap it around your finger.

personally, i'm one of the "wire is wire" guys. just get wire large enough for your application and you'll be fine.

also, i tend to stay away from kits and buy my parts seperately.

Hash_man_Se_i
11-16-2005, 12:09 AM
The wire in Kits is usually a lower quality wire... I know this from workin at an audio shop.. IMO, if you want to run 2ga then go for it, but with a really short length of 8ga from the distro you wouldnt be losing much vs running 4ga right to the amp. But remember, if you are running 2ga to the distro you need a 2ga ground, so 2 distro blocks, one for power, one for ground, or an all in one distro block,.(power and ground)

BTW, what amps are you running this would help us out a lot.... I was running a non digital amp pushing 500W RMS which used a lot of power with just monster 4ga.

3rdCoast
11-16-2005, 10:02 AM
im gonna be runnin an mtx 6500D and an eclipse PA5422. Im gonna be runnin a pretty clean system so i want good power. I have an upgraded alternator and i want to get my subs in. I had them in my other 3g powered with some crappy walmart 8ga wiring kit it was alright. Since im doin it again i want all good quality wiring and have it in the right size. So yeah i think im gonna get the parts seperatly. From a local shop 4ga. was almost $20 for about 8ft. That same shop has a 2ga. wire kit for $80 and i need a distrobution block. Any suggestions on rca's or is just regular clear oxygen free ones good.

POS carb
11-16-2005, 11:15 AM
if you're that worried just run a pair of 4 gauge lengths, that'll support around 1500-2000 watts

3rdCoast
11-16-2005, 12:07 PM
yeah i think i know what im gonna do. How about rca selection?

Vanilla Sky
11-16-2005, 02:16 PM
as for RCAs, get the best you are comfortable in buying. i'm preferenced towards monster cable myself, but thier stuff is $$. if your comfortable in building them, then get some wire and ends from www.parts-express.com and build them yourself.