PDA

View Full Version : Belt squeals at startup

RamThis
11-16-2005, 12:50 AM
All new belts, tensioned plenty. I went back and re-tightened them some more, but, I know belts that are too tight can cause problems as well. Which belt on these cars is usually the culprit, and what is possible to solve the problem? It doesnt do this every time either, its very sporatic. But when it gets going, you either have to rev it hard to heat up the belt and get it to stop, or shut off the car, and try to start it again and hope the belt holds.

Car has 180K on it, A20A1 2.0 L 2BBL carb, auto, air, 89 Accord LX Sedan. A couple of the belts on it are Goodyear Gatorback belts, and so is the timing belt. I think one belt is a normal ribbed belt, the alternator belt. But, as said, all brand new, only about 1000 miles on the belts.

Would some Belt Dressing spray fix it? Or is there something worse at work here.....

visionguru
11-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Any idea which belt squeals? I doubt belt dressing can cure this. I guess either the tension is wrong or the device that driven by the belt (like PS pump, A/C compressor, water pump) is hard to turn.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Belt dressing is just a temporary treatment that masks the problem. Look to see if the belts look shiney. This indicates that they are glazed and will slip even if tensioned correctly. Also make sure that the devices aren't seized up. I'd change all the belts to be sure that they are not the problem. Then go from there.

A18A
11-16-2005, 06:08 PM
maybe the pullies are a bit slippery?

Busted_Blue
11-16-2005, 07:00 PM
I would just spray some WD40 on it and check the belts to see if they are loose..

l3aLLa
11-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Its the pulleys making noises. Check every pully and spin it and see if you can hear a distant noise similar to a sqeaker. You can most likely get away with replacing a pulley rather than the entire bracket with the pulley which can get expensive. if the belts are still tight, then you can get away with just a pulley and will not have to replace any entire assemblys

A20A1
12-01-2005, 01:59 AM
A few things to look at:

As mentioned above the condition of your belts, the age, wear, etc.

Also make sure your Alternator lower bolt is still in the hole... sometimes it can shake itself loose and fall out... mine has done that in the past.

Make sure you use a lock second nut on the Alternator tensioner bolt that is above the waterpump... the second bolt locks the first bolt in place and keeps it from coming undone.

Also make sure the alternator washer / spacer is installed on the upper alternator bolt between the upper alternator bracket and the upper hole in the alternator. If the washer/spacer is missing then the pully might get pulled out of allignment.

lastly make sure oil or water isn't spilling onto your pullies or belts.

and please avoid over tightening your belts... usually you can have quite a bit of flex in the belt and still get it to drive the alt and such, noise free.