PDA

View Full Version : Moon roof leak and drain hose unclogging

Blkblurr
11-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Yesterday my wife drove my 89 SE-i to work and got soaked by the moonroof leaking. I know this has been on here alot but I wanted to let people know what I found. I have heard people say you can clean out the drains with an air hose but I've never tried. I had only one of the four drains clogged and it was the drivers side rear. I tried to run a braided cable down the drain hole with the moon roof glass still installed. This proved to be impossible for me to get the cable through the drain hole at the rear. I then tried to run the cable from under the bumper back through to the top. No luck getting the cable past the the filter end piece in the hose. I then got a small peice of plactic tubing and put it on my air nozzle from my compressor. Once I got the tube in the outlet of the rear drain, I let the air flow. At 100 lbs of pressure behind the nozzle it did not do anything to clear the clogged hose. Finally I did what I did to the passenger side. I spent 15 minutes taking out the truck liner and pulled the drain hose out so I could get rid of the clogged filter tip. After that the water flowed easily. Imo taking the trunk lining out to get access to the drain hose is the best way to do this. Don't bother trying it with an air hose. It was difficult at best and did not work.

w261w261
11-16-2005, 11:14 AM
The best way to clean out the rear drains is by going in through the trunk liners. Some people cut off the check valves at the end, I left mine in for critter control. It's also a good time to check for rust in the rear wheel well...I found a hole, which was covered by the fender liner when looking in from outside, so it was a good thing the drain backed up.

The front left drain goes into a Y connection behind the fuse box, in a spot where no human hand can reach without removing a bunch of stuff. The other tube going into the Y is from the motor housing for the power antenna. In my case, someone in the past had removed the tube from the antenna motor, and didn't hook it back up. Not a problem until the end of the hose in the fender well gets plugged, then it backs up to the Y connector and spills into the drivers footwell. I thought I had a windshield leak, as it had been replaced recently (btw, break your windshield on an Se-i and be prepared for a $650 bill. That bronze tinted glass is not made by anyone except Uncle Honda. A good reason to have glass insurance).

Blkblurr
11-16-2005, 08:47 PM
My SE-i has grey tinted glass from the beginning and I replaced it last year for about $200. I've never seen the bronze tinted glass in an SE-i

w261w261
11-17-2005, 04:10 AM
Bronze is what the window guy called it, but I guess grey could describe it too. In any case, he said no aftermarket was available, so he had to order it directly from Honda in OH. Didn't matter to me, as the insurance picked up 100%.

w261w261
11-17-2005, 04:10 AM
Bronze is what the window guy called it, but I guess grey could describe it too. In any case, he said no aftermarket was available, so he had to order it directly from Honda in OH. Didn't matter to me, as the insurance picked up 100%.

w261w261
11-18-2005, 03:07 AM
I have a copy of the original sales brochure for the Se-i, a 3 page fold-out. In the spec sheet it refers to "bronze-tinted glass" as one of the features.
I scanned the spec sheet but couldn't figure out how to post a picture on here that doesn't have a URL.

carotman
11-18-2005, 03:13 AM
The tint is very pale and hard to see. I'm glas i managed to get the bronze tinted side glasses of my SE-I parts car. I couldn't get the backglass tough :(

Are you sure that the windshield is also bronze tinted?

w261w261
11-18-2005, 03:43 AM
<Are you sure that the windshield is also bronze tinted?>

Pretty sure. The glass guy said it was, and looking at it from the front it seems to be tinted in the same manner as the rest of the glass. To me, it definitely looks different than the other 3G windshields.

w261w261
11-18-2005, 03:43 AM
<Are you sure that the windshield is also bronze tinted?>

Pretty sure. The glass guy said it was, and looking at it from the front it seems to be tinted in the same manner as the rest of the glass. To me, it definitely looks different than the other 3G windshields.

w261w261
11-18-2005, 04:57 PM
This should prolly be in a new thread, but here's the scan of the specs sheet on the Se-i. It's from a nice fold-out brochure. Note the reference to bronze-tinted glass.
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2323/seispecsheet7ly.th.jpg (http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=seispecsheet7ly.jpg)

lostforawhile
01-04-2006, 12:24 PM
the factory service manual said to blow compressed air through the drains from time to time to keep them unclogged,it didn't say anything about unclogging them.

touring 1
01-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the insturx to pull the trunk liner, that did it. This after I got good and douched down leaving work after a heavy Seattle rain. Took 16 mins.