PDA

View Full Version : Big problem! Hood won't pop open, need some help!

Mike's89AccordLX
11-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Alright I was setting my choke on the carb for winter weather and well I shut the hood and now I can't get it open. I pulled the lever and it didn't feel like it had tension on it. So I was sticking my fingers into the hood grille and I found out that the cable had come out of the hood latch mechanism. I don't know how the cable and little ball end got out of the hood latch. But it did and now the hood won't open. I tried sticking screw drivers and pry bars between the bumper and hood to move the hood latch lever. I think I was moving it but nothing happend. Either I'm not moving it enough or it won't pop it without the cable attached. I'm about to hack saw my hood grille right off just to be able to see what the hell I'm doing.

I need some help so please post.

-Mike

I knew I should have done hood pins, but I thought it would be dumb since the car doesn't have 200hp or more. I think I will put a set on the hood after this is all fixed.

A18A
11-16-2005, 12:28 PM
take off your front bumper and the thingy that holds the hood down there should be a little gap that should fit a key or a knife in it put your key in it and the top of the key should be facing about 300 degrees on a angle (like this \) and push it up untill it hits somethingl then push it up some more, it might be hard but you just gotta force it. bang your hood is now open :) i had a similar problem with my car, some how the cable slipped outta the thingy

Mike's89AccordLX
11-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Well I unbolted the 3 bolts holding the latch to the car. Now I just need to get the latch off the hood.

Anyone know where you mount the hood pins to the car?

A18A
11-16-2005, 12:39 PM
what do you mean hood pins?

Mike's89AccordLX
11-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Well if I installed hood pins. You know like the drag cars have to hold their hoods down. Basically you wouldn't need the hood latch if you have hood pins. But I don't know where you mount the pins for it to be safe.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-16-2005, 12:50 PM
If you only have hood pins on there then anyone can get access to your engine bay.

A18A
11-16-2005, 01:01 PM
oh them, yeah someone can easily take parts of your car andless you chain the hood down and lock it

wprocomp
11-16-2005, 01:40 PM
thats what locking hoodpins are for,invest in them they aint that much diff in price