PDA

View Full Version : exhaust done, bogging motor?

halxi
11-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Ok, so my car pulls like a mother sometimes, and sometimes it just bogs down and i have to depress the clutch, rev it up, and try again... why?

My idle also keeps adjusting itself against my will, i adjusted it to 800ish warm engine the other day and now it dies at idle, wont idle at all... why?

ive gone over everything, and my best guess is a.) one of the grounds is bad, b.) map sensor is bad or c.) the motor is just ready to go

all input welcome

Strugglebucket
11-16-2005, 04:33 PM
i would check for an intermittent vacuum leak first. try cleaning the idle screw and tb, also check the fast idle valve and the eacv.

halxi
11-16-2005, 05:30 PM
could you give me the locations on those? ive looked for a few things, and couldnt find them.

Strugglebucket
11-16-2005, 05:39 PM
for which things? you know where your throttle body is, right? the eacv is on the front of your intake manifold. it has a wire harness plugged into it and coolant lines hooked up to it. the fast idle valve is on the back of the intake manifold, close to the tb. it has a small cover plate with two screws on the top of it and coolant lines running through the bottom.

i forgot to ask, are you saying the problem started after you got your exhaust done?

halxi
11-16-2005, 05:41 PM
yes i know where the tb is haha

the problem techincally started when i started running the open header

on the header there are 2 emission insert things (Not 02 sensor inserts, you know the thinner metal rod that wraps around the head and screws into the header, i have two cutouts for that) and i still have one of them opened right now... i think im losing all pressure from that cylinder which might cause the problem? since thers a hole in that pipe?

ill check all the lines/valves tomorrow... i have all the line needed to replace the vacuum lines, i just need to do it now

Ichiban
11-16-2005, 05:53 PM
meh probably not the exhaust, o2 sensor maybe? check for codes

halxi
11-16-2005, 05:54 PM
not throwing any codes

and just curious, how would an o2 sensor effect my idle not staying adjusted?

Ichiban
11-16-2005, 05:59 PM
not exactly sure, but you were saying about an open header and missing screws...an o2 sensor problem will make it run funny. when it screws up the ecu stays in closed loop, like when it is cold, usually causing way rich conditions. think of it being like the choke sticking on.

Ichiban
11-16-2005, 06:02 PM
that thin metal pipe would be an egr line?

Strugglebucket
11-16-2005, 06:09 PM
is the egr hooked up? the small bung on top is for the egr and the larger one below is the hot air hookup for carbed engines. if you left the air hookup bung open it could be screwing with your egr and causing your problem. also your scavenging would be pretty ragged on two cylinders.

Busted_Blue
11-16-2005, 06:15 PM
check your coil too...after I instaleld the dc sports header, for some reason my coil went out... that was the root of my problems since I got a tuneup too.

halxi
11-16-2005, 06:15 PM
well my header is for a carbd model then, fucking nopi

im planning to grind down the plug and fill the hole, should my problem go away then or?

im planning on getting new plugs saturday, and ill look at the coil while im at it. It wouldnt hurt to replace the distributor, but thats alot of money

Ichiban
11-16-2005, 06:21 PM
pretty out there, but could air being sucked IN to the exhaust be screwballing the 02 readings? i know that back in the 70's and 80's chevy and toyota used a check valve system to draw fresh air into the exhaust using the negative pressure part of the exhaust pulse. this was intended to feed the catylitic (sp?) converter enough 02 to not clog up and die.

halxi
11-16-2005, 06:22 PM
well im gonna try plugging up the hot air in/output thing on the header (fuck nopi, i will never order from them again now. period.) and see where that puts me

Busted_Blue
11-16-2005, 06:23 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/busted_blue/DC%20Sports/IMG_5568Small.jpg

egr is that thing sticking out..

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/busted_blue/DC%20Sports/IMG_5567Small.jpg

there should be only one hole for FI =)

halxi
11-16-2005, 07:11 PM
still open

halxi
11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
im thinking its the alternator

today my battery light kicked on, and wont shutoff no matter what i try

FyreDaug
11-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Could be, if its not having enough power to make the spark it could hurt.

A20A1
11-17-2005, 08:43 PM
yeah the o2 sensor would get a false reading from the open hole in your header.

halxi
11-17-2005, 08:58 PM
that and my alternator had a busted bolt, so its been flopping around, hint all my problems... getting fixed tomorrow