PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problem at startup

forresj
11-17-2005, 06:42 AM
I have been having intermittent problems with my 88 honda accord 2bbl carb 4dr 135K. I turn the ignition key to start the engine and the engine starts normally but when I release the ignition key, the engine dies. To keep the engine running, I have to depress the gas pedal and keep the ignition key engaged. This is bad for the starter. The engine will start rough but as it smooths out, I slowly ease off the gas pedal and release the ignition key.

I suspect it could be a failing ignition system. It could also be a clogged fuel filter. I still have the original factory fuel filter on the car. The problem only seems to occur during cold winter month that I've notice so far.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mac
11-17-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but because it is a carb you have to give it gas to start when the engine is cold. I usually press the gas pedal to the floor and release it before I turn the key. After the car has been running and the engine is warm this is not necessary.

bock207
11-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah, make sure you're setting the choke, the owners manual says for a cold start to press the pedal to the floor once if its above 32 degrees, twice between 0-32, and three times if its below zero. I believe those are the right temps, but i don't have the manual next to me right now

FyreDaug
11-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Wierd, on my carb I dont touch the gas at all, 1/2 second crank and it runs after sitting in -20C weather overnight. sometimes itll wanna stall, I just blip the throttle to set the choke.