PDA

View Full Version : Wont drop high speed idle at cold ambient temps

FyreDaug
11-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Alright, heres the deal, I removed all the vacuum lines and the only ones left are:
Vacuum advance
Idle Diampham thinger
Vacuum secondary
Choke diaphram

The car works amazingly well during about +5C temperatures and above. But once it gets below that, the high speed drops less easily, and you can imagine that the colder it gets the harder it is to drop. Even once the car reached operating temp (between C and H) it still wont drop.

So first I'll explain the situation a little better.
When its above +5 out I can kick the high speed down about 30 seconds after it runs. (I can always kick the high speed down as soon as the car starts though, it'll idle at the set 1200rpm, but once the car warms up the high speed comes on again) but when its cold, I can let the car warm up for 5 mins, drive across town to work (15min drive) and it might still be high speed idling. Today it was doing it too, and its about -5C. Once it goes down though, it wont come back, and it doesnt bother me that much, its just annoying at stop lights to be sitting at 2200rpm with open header-glasspack exhaust.

Pretty sure the high speed unloader isnt hooked up to vacuum, and I'm not using any temperature controlled vacuum either (cant remember the name of them, thermovalves?) everything is vacuum all the time (mostly because I broke the thermovalves before and dont care to replace them.

If the unloader isnt hooked up, what is dropping the high speed? Its not WOT either, sometimes its just a little blip, sometimes I godda hammer on it to drop it.

Any ideas? Or suggestions on how to make it work better? I'm considering dropping my high speed to about 1500 and just leaving it there, let it warm up for another 2-3 mins, plus lower revs when its cold is less painful to the cylinder walls

hyongel
11-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Fyredaug,

I had similar problems on my 88 lx, and they progressively got worse. I would sometimes go on the highway for 10 min or so, and the idle would still be ~3000 rpm in park/neutral.

I connected the vac line for the outer diaphram of the fast idle unloader (there are two on the unloader -- the outer diaphram tube is closer to the firewall) directly to manifold vacuum and capped the line to the thermovalve. The other line (toward the front of the car) remains connected to the thermovalve. Now the car fast idles at 2500-3000 rpm, drops to 2000 after about 1 1/2 min, then to 1500 about 15 sec after that. Our temps have been around 25F/-3C in the morning the last few days, and the car's been fine.

Hope this helps.

Hyong

FyreDaug
11-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Problem is I dont have any vacuum thermovalves anymore, so the fast idle unloader would see constant vacuum and nothing to keep it staying in high mode. I think it would just never HSI that way