PDA

View Full Version : this is long but i DESPRETLY need help

ZackieDarko
11-18-2005, 04:39 AM
ok my 3g'ers i need help!

yesterday when i came home from work at 5am i thought i smelt some anit-freeze. i thought that was odd so i went to investigate. when i got out of the car i saw what i tought was some fluid left on the ground by my car when i parked and i checked and it was indeed coolent. when i poped the hood a wee bit of "smoke" rose up out of the engine bay. i thought to my self this cant be good. since it was 5am and i was uber tired i decided to deal with it later and went to bed. so tonight when i got to work at 10:30pm i noticed some "smoke" coming out from under my hood and my temp guage was at the half way mark so again i thought to my self that there must be a coolent leak some where. so i poped the hood again and there was wetness. from what i could see in the darkness there was liquid driping down from a hose (i think it was dark) right under the distributer cap. it looked like some of the fluid got onto the cap its self and the wires but nothing else. when i left work at 3:30am i filled up my 1 liter of Dew with water and put it in the radiator to get me home. half way home the car did something that it had never done. it started to "shudder" i guess is the word ...it kinda boged out and shudderd at the same time ..when i pressed on the gas the rpm's would slowly go up and i would slowly gain speed but it would just shake really hard. so i pulled over and poped the hood and there was liquid EVERYWHERE under there..on the cap on the battery on that box under the hood next to the firewall on the passenger side everywhere ...

if you made it this far THANK YOU SO MUCH

after seeing this i thought oh man i am so SOL ya know? so i called somebody to come get me..while i was waiting i started the car a few times to see if the problem would jsut go away and if so i could just limp home and deal with it in the morning..the problem never went away..about 25 minuets after i pulled over i tryed 1 last time when my ride got there and it seemed to do what it was doing but a little less..like it wasnt as bad but it was still there

::::SIDE NOTE::::

i am gonna feel UBER FRICKIN STUPID if this is the problem but my fuel guage was reading near empty at the time that all this happend, i dont know if that is my problem or if its related or not but i thought i'd throw that in there

if you read this whole thing i thank you very very much i would appriciate any help any of you can give me as this is my baby and my only way to get around THANK YOU SO MUCH:)

89accordex4dr
11-18-2005, 04:55 AM
sounds like the heater hose under the distributer needs to be replaced and water has gotten into the distributer itself,that's what happened to me

ZackieDarko
11-18-2005, 05:08 AM
do i need to replace the distributer? or can i just dry it out?

detroit313
11-18-2005, 05:24 AM
dry it out! it shouldnt have gotten physically damaged. take a hair dryer to it.
works like a champ!!

89accordex4dr
11-18-2005, 05:27 AM
Just take the roter cap off (screw on the top and underneth) take to it with a clean rag,compressed air and clean the inside of the cap out and the roter

ZackieDarko
11-18-2005, 05:46 AM
so after i replace the appropiate hose(s) and dry the thingout it should run fine? was it firing funny because of the wetness?

ZackieDarko
11-18-2005, 05:46 AM
double post sorry

88Accord-DX
11-18-2005, 05:55 AM
Yeah, replace the hose, put a new hose clamp on it. Dry out the distributor cap underneath it & rotor with a rag. While you got it off, scrape the corrosion off inside the cap & rotor with a small screwdriver. Put some gas in it too.

FyreDaug
11-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Pics would help a little better, but from what I understand, that should fix your problem

w261w261
11-19-2005, 07:51 PM
If one hose is gone, then the others are probably going too. They rot from the inside out, so it's pretty difficult to tell just how bad they are. I recently replaced the 6 little hoses that go to the fast idle valve and someplace else. As long as I had the air intake plumbing off I took a good look at the heater hoses and radiator hoses (4). They felt firm and looked good (no swelling near the clamps, etc). Damn if ONE WEEK later one of the heater hoses blew out, with a 1 inch rip on the top. Water everywhere, and I had to have the car flatbedded to the shop. The hoses were somewhere between 3 and 4 years old. They're not bad to replace, but get them from Honda...especially the little ones. They come pre-bent, and some of them are weird sizes. When you finish, don't forget to bleed the air out of the system with the valve which is right by the thermostat. Fill the overflow tank halfway between "add" and "full," then fill up the radiator to the top. Leave the cap off, start the car, open the bleed valve and let the motor come up to temperature (the fan will come on). Add water to the radiator as needed. When the stuff bubbling out of the bleed valve is straight fluid without air bubbles, close the valve with a socket wrench. Drive it a bit, and look at the coolant level in the overflow tank after you stop. Add if necessary.

russiankid
11-19-2005, 09:21 PM
its the heater hose, no biggy, drain your radiator, put a new hose in, fill the sysem back up, run all air out, and your good to go

lostforawhile
11-19-2005, 09:22 PM
yea i replaced all mine when i did my heater core, the little prebent ones you can buy in bent sections at nappa, i was suprised someone carried them, they will be longer then you need so you just cut thm to length,I know you need a 90 right by the heat valve by the heater core, before your thermosat opens,those little bypass hoses carry the full pressure from the water pump,thats why they fail so suddenly, heater hose is cheap,and a lot cheaper then a new engine.

russiankid
11-19-2005, 09:23 PM
If one hose is gone, then the others are probably going too. They rot from the inside out, so it's pretty difficult to tell just how bad they are. I recently replaced the 6 little hoses that go to the fast idle valve and someplace else. As long as I had the air intake plumbing off I took a good look at the heater hoses and radiator hoses (4). They felt firm and looked good (no swelling near the clamps, etc). Damn if ONE WEEK later one of the heater hoses blew out, with a 1 inch rip on the top. Water everywhere, and I had to have the car flatbedded to the shop. The hoses were somewhere between 3 and 4 years old. They're not bad to replace, but get them from Honda...especially the little ones. They come pre-bent, and some of them are weird sizes. When you finish, don't forget to bleed the air out of the system with the valve which is right by the thermostat. Fill the overflow tank halfway between "add" and "full," then fill up the radiator to the top. Leave the cap off, start the car, open the bleed valve and let the motor come up to temperature (the fan will come on). Add water to the radiator as needed. When the stuff bubbling out of the bleed valve is straight fluid without air bubbles, close the valve with a socket wrench. Drive it a bit, and look at the coolant level in the overflow tank after you stop. Add if necessary.

i agree, me and my bro changed all the hoses in his 89 accord, only didnt get to one, cuz its like impossible to get to it, now we dont worry about it over heating

ZackieDarko
11-22-2005, 04:05 PM
well guys i replaced the heater hose and took a look under the cap to see what was what and guess what...go ahead guess...no you are wrong the center lead was GONE well not so much gone has half melted/vaporized..half of it was there and half wasnt even the metal it was weird also the center of the rotor had this really nasty burn mark on it..but its ok because it was all replaced and fired right up :)