PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pressure?

89accordex4dr
11-18-2005, 04:46 AM
What's the max pressure can our factory carby handle and what happens if there's to much pressure?

StressSolutions
11-18-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm no expert, but logic tells me that the carb will handle all the pressure the fuel pump gives it. If the carb were to get too much pressure, it could rupture a gasket...I assume these cute little carbs come apart similar to the 66 Ford I used to drive around...

I'm curious to know why you are asking such a question...are you thinking of using a diesel injector pump to supply your carb? Whee...

Oldblueaccord
11-18-2005, 05:15 PM
What's the max pressure can our factory carby handle and what happens if there's to much pressure?

Most carbs fuel will push past the needle and seat with to much fuel pressure. What the pressure is on a honda carb I have no idea. I have heard of people running 6-8 psi on like a Holley carb.

wp

lostforawhile
11-18-2005, 05:42 PM
they run at 3-4 psi if you put much more through there it will leak past the needle and seat,probably ruin them,and flood your carb this could also set your car on fire. I run a holly regulator and a digital fuel pressure gauge,i'm running the regulator to smooth out the fuel pressure spikes. this is normal pressure for most carbs,what you need for a bigger carb is not more pressure,but a pump that will deliver more fuel quantity. all it has to do is fill the fuel bowl,nothing else. I had to order my regulator special for that low of a presssure,thats factory spec.

89accordex4dr
11-19-2005, 05:00 AM
I was thinkin about a hot cam and havin more fuel pressure to feed the cam, probly get a bigger carby next

lostforawhile
11-19-2005, 05:19 AM
what you need is more gph,you don't need more pressure on a carb,the only time you would need to increase pressure is in a fuel injection system with bigger injectors,for forcing more fuel through the injectors. in a carb pressure is not really that important,it's quantity that can be fed into the fuel bowl. carbs functon on vaccume not pressure.

89accordex4dr
11-19-2005, 05:24 AM
whats gph? and i'm just thinking of somthing to keep up with the demands of a hot cam

lostforawhile
11-19-2005, 06:00 AM
G-gallons
P-per
H-hour
in other words you need a pump that delivers a higher quantity of fuel,not at a much higher pressure, all the pump does on a carbed car is fill the fuel bowl,the fuel is pulled through the jets by engine vaccume,a fuel pressure that is too high will damage the needle and seat on any carb. i would reccomend the mallory model 110 for street it delivers 90 gallons per hour at 6 psi, you still might have to regulate that down to 3 or 4 psi,but it will deliver your fuel quantity. now if you go with a hot pump you will neeed to run a seperate power circuit for it with a relay,the relay will have to be switched by the power going to your original fuel pump,this is for safety,the factory fuel pump relay shuts off the pump when the engine quits running. eg.you get in a wreck,the pump doesn't keep dumping fuel, all over the place. the factory relay can't directly handle the current of a bigger pump.