PDA

View Full Version : heating probs

gp02a0083
11-18-2005, 10:12 PM
can anyone give me a clue what to look for my last 3g had heat enough to burn u now my 87 HB doesnt seem like the interior is heating up at all , its freezing someone gimem an idea what to look for

lackej1971
11-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Hey, the same thing happened to me and I found out that the IDIOT that owned the car before me REMOVED THE THERMOSTAT!!!!! It would freeze me to death in the winter. I thought that the thermostat may have just gone bad, but it was completely gone. While you are doing this, it's not a bad idea at all to flush out your coolant system and put in some new antifreeze. My car runs MUCH better since I did that.

James

gp02a0083
11-19-2005, 07:16 AM
nah i did that , new radiator , new hoses and stat from my 89 honda , im having a suspision that the heater core is cloged

w261w261
11-19-2005, 07:31 PM
When you slide the heater temp control, do you get some resistance at least?
Or take a look on the engine side of the firewall at the heater control valve. It has a cable going into it (you might have to take off some of the intake plumbing to see it). Make sure the cable is moving the valve to the open position.

lostforawhile
11-19-2005, 09:14 PM
yea make sure that someone hasn't bypassed the heater core,on a lot of older cars,people don't want to take the time to fix them,so they just run a loop and just bypass it.

FyreDaug
11-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Or maybe its too cold outside and a little cardboard in the rad'll keep the heat in. Remember we have damn big rads, they can cool off quick

lostforawhile
11-20-2005, 09:29 AM
na mines been working fine and it's been in the thirties,the themostat is supposed to keep the coolant at a certain temp, it might be the heater core clogged. you can find a couple of pieces of hose that attach to the heater core inlets on the firewall,and force water through it backwards with a garden hose sometimes this will dislodge debris in it. i know when i got my heater core they didn't believe it was for my car,it's huge it looks like it belongs in a truck.

gp02a0083
11-21-2005, 07:44 AM
i think thats what im gonna do , b/c alot of my parts are from my old HB and the thing had a really good heater , to the point wehre it could burn you , im ruleing out the thermostat b/c that is new but what happened is that the orginal raidator got gummed up with some stuff , and then it also gummed up the radiator from my old HB now its got a new one , its got minor heat but not hot, i checked the lines and the bottom line is hot but the top one isnt so i believe its clogged

gp02a0083
11-21-2005, 07:45 AM
and taking a heater core outta these cars is a pain basically the whole dash has to come out , which i dont wanna do

lostforawhile
11-21-2005, 02:21 PM
don't mean to get off topic but did you save the combination switch from your old hatch?

gp02a0083
11-21-2005, 08:05 PM
yes actually i ahve it sittin in my car now :lol: the one on my car and one in a box with the center peice

lostforawhile
11-22-2005, 06:09 PM
i had a suggestion if you could rig a way to make some prestone super flush go through that core,it might help,you need to get a back flow valve for your water hose though,to make sure it doesn't go back into your water system.you can get those at hardware stores,they sell them for hooking up bug sprayers to your garden hose. my idea is to find a five gallon bucket with a lid,pour the super flush into it with some water,then connect one end of a hose to the bucket the other end to the outet side of your heater core,use another hose on the inlet to deflect the water coming out,then force water under pressure into the bucket,this will force the water to flow out of the bucket through the heater core,you would probably have to use a lot of duct tape or something to keep the lid on,but it might work. make sure someone is in the car to wtch for leaks. and don't use too much pressure so you don't blow up the bucket.

lostforawhile
11-22-2005, 06:09 PM
i had a suggestion if you could rig a way to make some prestone super flush go through that core,it might help,you need to get a back flow valve for your water hose though,to make sure it doesn't go back into your water system.you can get those at hardware stores,they sell them for hooking up bug sprayers to your garden hose. my idea is to find a five gallon bucket with a lid,pour the super flush into it with some water,then connect one end of a hose to the bucket the other end to the outet side of your heater core,use another hose on the inlet to deflect the water coming out,then force water under pressure into the bucket,this will force the water to flow out of the bucket through the heater core,you would probably have to use a lot of duct tape or something to keep the lid on,but it might work. make sure someone is in the car to wtch for leaks. and don't use too much pressure so you don't blow up the bucket.

lostforawhile
11-22-2005, 06:11 PM
moderator,this double posted for some reason,you might want to look into this.