PDA

View Full Version : I really screwed up

Ace
11-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey whats up

yea has the title says I really screwed up today :mad: I kept my lights on at work so while trying to jump my car I crossed the positive and negative wires :pc: what could of this done my car will not even turn over and where should I looked I am so pissed off right now I have beeen drinking so much just trying to get over my stupidity don't mind any spelling LOL any feedbak would grealty be appreciated

Ace
11-18-2005, 11:00 PM
whats up any help I cannot belive I did thid I dont now where to start car wont even turn over

nismoracer99
11-18-2005, 11:05 PM
ive done that wiring my little blue showoff headlight bulbs in my diamond cut headlights on my toyota pickup. burned my battery up, and my starter just clicked like crazy and never turned over. ive been having problems with this battery and the terminals for a long time. my battery leaked so a lot of corrosive battery acid starting eating my battery tie-down, and leaked down onto my windshield washer motor. it ate the seal so my washer fluid poured out in less than 5 min.

buy a new battery. try push starting the car and see if it runs

lackej1971
11-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Hey, I am just guessing and it may not help at all, but you may want to try just removing the battery cables for a few hours and see if something resets. May or may not work.

James

Oldblueaccord
11-18-2005, 11:49 PM
whats up any help I cannot belive I did thid I dont now where to start car wont even turn over

Theres a main fuse located in the box under the hood. Hopefully that blew first and nothing had a melt down. Put a volt meter on the battery and report back and or get it tested. Sould be 12.7 volts fully charged. Tell them what you did cuz if you/they try and charge it it could blow and thats not pretty. My uncle had one blow on him and hes deaf in one ear now.

wp

mkymonkey
11-19-2005, 02:04 AM
yeah first check the main fuse, i did the same thing to my boss's daughter's car....after an hour i figured out that thats what it was. no biggie just check

Robs89LXi
11-19-2005, 02:36 AM
I really don't think you are going to mess anything up by doing what you did. Did you try jumping it the correct way after that? If that does not turn it over, try connecting the positive cable directly to your starter (clamp it on the nut that the positive cable from your battery now connects to your starter), and connect the negative to a good ground on the engine block.
Report back.

Ace
11-19-2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks I will look and report back to ya'll later on it . I was taking a look at pauls Manual at the electrical diagram and it looks like from the battery it goes directly into the under hood relay box now I am thinking that a charge must of caught in there and a fuse would of broke and saved it right??? I cant see it going past my main box. also I smelt a electrical smoke smell in my car. My head unit also doesn't turn on I think I may of fried that I will keep yall posted.

russiankid
11-19-2005, 09:06 AM
probably a blown fuse, like mentioned above

russiankid
11-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey, I am just guessing and it may not help at all, but you may want to try just removing the battery cables for a few hours and see if something resets. May or may not work.
James86-89 accords dont have any computers (unless its an lx-i or se-i) so there is nothing that could be reseted other than the clock, and radio, or the stuf you added yourself,like alarm and stuff :rolleyes:

mkymonkey
11-19-2005, 11:07 AM
yep, its the fuse. have you checked it?

Ace
11-19-2005, 12:01 PM
yea my battery fuse popped So I am thinking just swap that and I should be all set and if that popped that means it didn't hurt any more components of my engine. becaust that would of cut the circuit right?????

Ace
11-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Also My inline fuse to my subs popped

FyreDaug
11-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Well a fuse will go when current is too high for it. Current tried to go there, so depending on how good your fuses are, they might not have blown immediately. Other damage is possible, but maybe not. Basically you turned your car into a 24V system.

Ace
11-19-2005, 12:58 PM
so all in all though I should be fine now if that fuse goes that would cause that car to not want to start?? And if it would of gone past that. wouldnt all my other fuses of popped.

Ace
11-19-2005, 01:41 PM
So really the next thing I should do is check my other fuses in my dash and make sure none of them popped right. beecause if not than that means it didn't spread

russiankid
11-19-2005, 01:58 PM
i would check all the other ones while your at it, so then you wont be pissed when it doesnt start

3G Jester
11-19-2005, 02:12 PM
1)check and replace all fuses.
2)bring battery to autozone, kragens,ect--they charge and test batteris for free

if needs be buy a new batery, take some 3and1 oil and wipe down all your batter terminals and go from there.

Ace
11-19-2005, 02:46 PM
luckily I have a optima battery 36 month warantey so I will swap that. I am pretty sure I will be all set after changing that fuse I am defintally replacing the battery my boy said that there was smoke coming out of it LOL so yea I am exchanging that.so we will see what that will do after that!!!!

3G Jester
11-19-2005, 03:00 PM
whoite smoke usualy means head gasket...hopefully ur not burning coolant

mkymonkey
11-19-2005, 03:04 PM
i think he meant that the smoke was comming from the battery

Ace
11-19-2005, 03:13 PM
yea no smoke from the gasket it was from the battery had a awfull smell

lostforawhile
11-19-2005, 05:17 PM
ok you probably did some damage,first replace your battery,then get your alternator tested,anytime you send current backwards through the car,you almost always fry the diodes in the alternator. contrary to what everyone says there is a computer in the car,even the carb cars have a computer,in both types it's under the drivers seat. with the ignition key on it should have one led on where the diagnostic leds are. if it doesn't have one on check the fuse,if thats not it,the computer has been fried. now i'm talking about a fuel injected car,the carbed car has no diagnostic leds. these cars have little electronic modules hidden all over the car,anyone of them could have been easily damaged,best thing to do is get that battery in and test everything electronic in the car, chances are your lights won't go up eithier,the control module is easily susceptible to damage. you might want to find a junk car and pull everything electronic that plugs in off of it. even if it's not fried yet the current spike will most likely have shortened it's life considerably. your ignition module inthe distributor is most likely fried,it's electronic and susceptible to damage from voltage spikes,if it won't start this is probably the culprit. i'm not trying to be a doomsday sayer,but this is the most likely scenario. i hope you got lucky,but even with the fuse by the time it blew it was probably too late,it's not to protect the electronics,but to keep the car from burning up. my suggestion is to get a couple of those felt washers that go under the terminals,then it's harder to mix them up. good luck:uh:

Ace
11-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Yea My headlights work so does my interior light and brake light work. I honestly think I got lucky because all this stuff does work and only my battery fuse popped none of my other fuses either I would think that it would of fried more than that more fuses would of poped I would think. we'll see

FyreDaug
11-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Well lostforawhile thats like a purely worst case scenerio, I dont know if he turned alot of stuff on, but it sounds like he just increased the voltage to everything to 24, from 12. Because he ran 2 batteries in series. Im sure those things could happen, but its not a definate.

Ace
11-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Yea I doubt it everything seems cool damn you lostforawhile J/K but yea no I should be fine just need to replace that fuse and then we will now 4 sure I just went out all my fuses in the dash are fine so I should be all set

lostforawhile
11-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Well lostforawhile thats like a purely worst case scenerio, I dont know if he turned alot of stuff on, but it sounds like he just increased the voltage to everything to 24, from 12. Because he ran 2 batteries in series. Im sure those things could happen, but its not a definate.thats not a series circuit,thats a parallel circuit with one battery hooked up backwards,a series circuit means the two batteries hooked up had to be connected + to - in the center and the other two terminals had to be connected to the cars electrical system,he temporarily turned his car into a positive ground system,what probably saved it was the fact that the battery was dead,it was able to soak up a huge amount of current in a hurry. it instantly boiled the electryloite in the battery thus the smoke,and absorbed all that energy. if this had been a modern car it probably would have been totaled by the insurance company. I have worked on older cars where the battery was put in backwards,and it has fried every module and electronic device on the car instantly. the alternator is probably,or soon will be toast, anytime you hook up a battery backwards,current flows back through the stator diodes turning them into smoke. and they are directly connected to the battery.

Ace
11-23-2005, 04:18 PM
well first the good she started turn of the key she started which is great it was the battery fuse but my radio doesnt turn on ??????? I am at work so when I get home I will check the fuse .

Ace
11-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Let me just say who ever invented the fuse was a very smart man bless whoever he or she was I had a couple of fuses that were blown including my radio fuse replace everything I am good to go thanks guys fo all the help