PDA

View Full Version : Is power steering pump needed?

Greg A.
11-19-2005, 06:16 AM
I'm in the process of resurrecting an old EX-i with parts from my old DX and I'm wondering if I really need to fix up the leaky power steering system in the EX-i.

So my question is, can I just drive the EX-i without the power steering pump & whatnot hooked up?

I don't know if the steering gear box ratios are the same between power steering & non-power steering cars. I didn't really care that my DX didn't have it, so if it's not going to be impossible to turn the wheel, I'm not going to bother fixing it on this one.

Thoughts?

Greg.

russiankid
11-19-2005, 09:10 AM
im pretty sure you can, but you have to plug up every hole in the steering box, so the fluid stays inside, but it will be hard to turn the steering wheel, when standing still, or mvoing slowly

FyreDaug
11-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah since you have to compress the fluid yourself by turning the wheel you will have much more turning force needed. Not just like a normal car without PS, itll be harder, but it wont hurt anything.

bucket_man
11-20-2005, 04:14 PM
i drove my accord for a bit when the powersteering belt was off when fixing my air-con. Didn't hurt it at all, just was a bit of a bitch to steer.