PDA

View Full Version : O2 senser question

blahblahblah
11-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Can someone tell me what a "Wide Band O2 sensor" is and what the differents is from others?

newaccorddriver
11-20-2005, 08:58 PM
im not too sure of this, but i think it just enables data logging/viewing for the car so when you go tune it, you can adjust the fuel map accordingly

Feuerstoss
11-21-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm not entirely sure of the technical specifics, but from what I remember, a wideband O2 sensor is one which meters out quite a bit of different types of data in relation to your exhaust gasses. While on a stock car it isn't needed(and they're quite expensive from what I have seen), a car with a standalone fuel management system will need a wideband O2 sensor to function correctly. On a 3G, I don't really see how much of a difference a standalone would make unless you were somehow really building up your stock A20, or adding a turbo(I personally _wouldn't_ do an N/A to turbo conversion without fuel management mods).

carotman
11-21-2005, 02:09 AM
basicaly, a wideband will give a signal between 0 anv 5V while the regular will give a signal between 0 and 1V. The wideband is much more precise.

Robs89LXi
11-21-2005, 02:33 AM
In very general terms, our standard O2 sensor is calibrated to basically measure one air/fuel (A/F) ratio which is ideal for our engine. If the reading falls below this point (too rich), the ECU cuts out the amount of fuel being used. If it reads above this point (too lean), then more fuel is added to the mix. This constant flip-flopping back and forth between rich and lean, averages out to being close to where the A/F ratio should be, but as you can see, that is not a very accurate or efficient way to do it.
A wideband does just as it's name implies. It is not just calibrated for that one point, but instead measures over a wide range, between rich and lean, with all point in between. Thus, the computer now has a much more accurate reading of what is going on with the A/F ratio, and can compensate more efficiently now. It can dole out/cut smaller amounts of fuel to keep the engine right on that magic A/F ratio that it desires without having to go through the constant wild swings of a narrow band O2 sensor.

blahblahblah
11-21-2005, 09:28 AM
well, thx for all the info....That all answers my question