PDA

View Full Version : A few strange idle-ish problems...

Feuerstoss
11-21-2005, 12:59 AM
'Ey, all. I've noticed a few minor problems with my '88 LX. As far as technical background, it is a 5-speed, has 185K on the clock, and was immaculately maintained by the original owner, everything done to it like clockwork. As far as my history, I have neglected it a little bit, but it hasn't been too greatly abused, and had a recent round of repairs done to it(full tune-up minus O2 sensor, plus T-belt and all the other belts while we were at it).
I noticed this problem right after I bought the car a year ago. I took a cross-state highway trip after filling up on 91(premium-grade in Colorado) octane gasoline. The car drove like a dream both to and from, until I got back to town. For some strange reason, the car would stall when it hit idle. It would start right back up after it stalled, but it would always stall out when it went back to an idle. I switched to mid-grade(87) after that, with a few tanks of premium mixed every so-often to clean out the system(I have never used any aftermarket fuel cleaner additives on it, as of yet).
After the recent tune-up and T-belt, I have noticed a few more idle-related problems. Firstly(I'm assuming the correct idle speed is around 800 RPM), when idling with a warmed up engine, I will get varying idle speeds. The idle itself doesn't waver, but, for example... I'll be stopped at one light, and I'll be around 800 RPM. The next light, I'll be hovering around 1200-1500, and the next I'll be hitting 500. Sometimes it will idle up to 2500-3000, but this is fairly rare. After the recent tuneup, I have had the car stall out on me twice; as before, it started right back up and went on its merry little way.
Anyway... does anyone know what might be going on with this car? As before, this car otherwise runs perfectly and is as smooth as silk. I'm suspecting something carbeurator-related, but honestly I know nothing about carbs other than their basics, and couldn't even begin to diagnose this myself.

89accordex4dr
11-21-2005, 03:07 AM
wow, sounds like the choke comes on every now and then to get 2500-3000, but i'v set mine at 800rpm and my revs can vary between 500-900 not fluctuating tho