PDA

View Full Version : Bastardisation of an Accord in progress ;)

ex1z7
11-22-2005, 01:16 AM
I've got an '87 accord with a recently blown engine (I need idea's on this one next but..) The body has rust in the wheel wells as with most honda's, especially in Canada.. And after being here in Australia for the past while I've noticed quite alot of Accords/Preludes/Integra's (80's) with very, very terrible bodykits and paint jobs.. Such like huge chrome plates in the bumpers for.. no reason, 18" chrome snowflakes, metallic purple paint with dual exhaust tips and other uglyness..

So I got to thinking about idea's for my accord - the car really is nothing more then a problem for me now.. Engine blew after a mess of other things - but I need a car for the next couple months and have no choice but to replace the engine and drive it..

I've seen many joke cars.. permanent marker hood scoops - spoilers on backwards or something.. Just joke "i don't like my car" cars.. So I got to thinking about how to make my car look like something of a joke, but, also look good..

It's one of those champagne/beige ugly colours, so I was thinking .. I could get my buddy to help me spray it - and thought up the idea of the Initial D Corolla.. Black bottom - white top, perhaps black roof like the 240sx trend...

I'm not looking at putting much money into it cosmetically at all - perhaps dye the interior as much black as I can, as it's also beige.. But not spray paint as it looks so sketchy. Vinyl dye works great on parts that spray paint looks crap on..

I've seen such bad jobs done that I want to copy them and do it right - but do it still half-assed.. I don't want to make this accord something it isn't, but I'd like it to look cool - but not the kinda cool you put alot of effort into..

Bodykit wise, I might do something with fibreglass, as laying fibreglass isn't hard for me.. I might also do some custom tail/head lights type thing.. like the tinting tape, because spraying makes it look cheap when not done right..

Iono, I'll keep everyone posted when I start putting the ball in motion on this whole thing. I'll photoshop some pics of what I mean by what I think this car should look like =D

This site has been a great help, I was pointed here by a fellow beyond member and I've been trying to find everything I can out about the A series I need to stick back in my car..

2drSE-i
11-22-2005, 07:19 AM
wow...uh dont post here about making your car look like a joke, everyone takes that pretty seriously around here.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-22-2005, 01:29 PM
This site is for you to use to help make your car car look and run better, not look like hell and embarass the rest of us who try so hard to make our cars be what they were ment to be. We are trying to show people that these cars are great cars and how much potential they really do have wether you want a stock dependable car or a completly modified show car. Please don't try to ruin what we all have worked hard to do by making the car look like a joke.

smufguy
11-22-2005, 01:37 PM
spray paint ur car red, with one of those spray paints from a can

AccordDX86
11-22-2005, 01:40 PM
We're not that type of people. We do all like our cars, and all take them pretty seriously... If you want to take your car as a joke, buy a Ford Pinto, and save some money as everyone takes that car as a joke stock. Not the forum for you. Sorry.

-Brett

2drSE-i
11-22-2005, 01:44 PM
or a yugo

i actually saw a yugo that runs the other day, i was like

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

probly was garaged until that very day

AccordDX86
11-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Yugo, it doesnt.

v3rs3
11-22-2005, 03:07 PM
the rest of us who try so hard to make our cars be what they were ment to be.

What? Put a baby seat in the back next to a pile of groceries?

ex1z7
11-22-2005, 03:15 PM
That wasn't quite the response I was looking for lol..

I wasn't thinking of a full joke - I mean, I wanted it to look good - and it will - and I'd take it seriously to an extent as I'd not do something half-assed.. The paint job I'm not using spray paint for, I'm using a spray gun and doing the whole process right.. I'm making the body clean and perhaps shaving mouldings and such..

Perhaps I didn't word it all right.. I wanted to make the car look alot better - but do it with all the "diy" type things I could.. I didn't want to go out and buy a bodykit or pay a few grand for a paint job - I'm just going to do it all myself here and there.. I'm not making it a total joke - I think that was the wrong term for it.. I'm making it look like I put alot of effort into it (by making it actually look good) but not - so I can laugh when people admire it thinking I spent thousands..

I do need a reliable car, it's not in that bad of shape now - just needs a new engine cus the previous ate it .. spun a bearing or something.

Looking at some of the AOM's on here I noticed alot of people are making them really really clean lined and low - I actually really like the look of 'em like that. Whichever that flat black one is.. is one of my major inspirations for making this car look like I'll want it to look..

I'm not plastering it with big blue flames and 2fast 2furious decals, or sticking on a 4.5" exhaust tip - I'm keeping everything about it normal and clean, just givin' it a panda paint job and shaving everything I don't need off.

So yeah.. lol I think joke was the wrong word I was looking for - again, I'm making it look clean by doing everything myself and giving it that panda paint job cus I've never seen it on an accord - I think it'd look nice =)

What I'm planning - so you all know and can perhaps - if you don't hate me yet, give me some advice on is..

Shaved mouldings,
Shaved emblems,
Get a right side mirror :| perhaps 2 new ones so they match
red out, with a slight smoke tail lights
light tint windows
If I can find a door kit for cheap, shaved handles
Shaved antennae
Smoke/black out reflectors on the front head lights
Get the body straight as much as I can, few dents and dings..
Give it my sponsors shop logo on the hood, I've decided to keep that white instead of black.
I don't want to lower it, because Canadian winters aren't forgiving on the roads and my town is full of potholes so I don't want to rip the bumper off everytime I hit one..
And hopefully, if I can find some, some rims =)
I've got a stereo system together I'll be throwin' in there too.

And all that I can do with the help of a friend or two and some time. Give it a clean look but not spending a fortune doing it.

Sorry for the brief misunderstanding lol - I respect the people on here who make their accords something people couldn't picture before - and I really like how people actually have to put some thought and effort into these cars because the aftermarket support isn't the largest thing out there, compared to Civics or Cavaliers..

Heh.. even if nobody cares, I'll still keep everyone posted when I start doing things (next month)..

AccordDX86
11-22-2005, 05:07 PM
What? Put a baby seat in the back next to a pile of groceries?

The car is not a station wagon. These were built for economy, as was your Corolla.

lostforawhile
11-22-2005, 06:35 PM
well mine is built with lots of airplane parts,but i have put several thousand hours into it. if you are going to put all that work into it and another engine,why do you want to get rid of it? for all the effort you make to do the paint right,why not just spend the time and do the entire thing right? it takes just as long sometimes to do something half assed and have to fix it as it does to do it right the first time. as far as a panda paint job,i am going to be doing one on my car,but it will be a few months. as far as being an econmy car,that was the civic,the accord and prelude were meant to be the sportier cars. thats why they got the double wishbone suspension on all four corners,and the civic got the cheap econbox suspension.

AccordDX86
11-22-2005, 06:38 PM
as far as being an econmy car,that was the civic,the accord and prelude were meant to be the sportier cars. thats why they got the double wishbone suspension on all four corners,and the civic got the cheap econbox suspension.

Really? I mean, I know it has the double wishbone, but, I thought that was just because it was the thing to do at that time. I had no idea they were meant to be sportier. Sometimes, thats all it takes to brighten up my day. Haha.

lostforawhile
11-22-2005, 06:48 PM
the double wishbone on the accord is still used in it's basic form today,with some tweaks,our generation was the first to get it,it came from hondas formula racing program. all the accords have been noted for their handling since the first came out and have won awards for it. it still makes me sick that they had an accord wagon,it's like making a four door vette or something. in 86 the civic was the lowly car,the accord and prelude were the high end ones,and the integra had just come out.

lostforawhile
11-22-2005, 07:02 PM
darn didn't work,i'll have to dowload it and get the url

Acidbath88accordlx
11-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Didn't work again Tim... lol:lol:

russiankid
11-22-2005, 07:37 PM
"It's one of those champagne/beige ugly colours"

eehhheemmmm, calling my car ugly?

lol jk

bobafett
11-22-2005, 08:56 PM
you know... i think it would be funny to see an 'on purpose' messed up accord, but it sounds like your wanting to spend a lot of time/money on it... if you really hate it, just replace the motor and drive it around stock, and get rid of it as soon as you can afford something better. i really dont see the point in shaving the car, painting it, and doing the interior, and laying custom glass all as a joke...

maybe you need a day job, cause it sounds like you have WAAAAAAAY too much time on your hands.

if u want to do a joke car do it cheap and fast... it would still be funny..

gfrg88
11-22-2005, 10:01 PM
if you want to do a joke get a geo metro....

ex1z7
11-22-2005, 10:07 PM

lol jk

haha, I meant it's extremely dated, faded, scratched - swirly - flaking off here and there.. I think the champagne colour can look amazing with some flake and a nice accenting colour as well - but the colour of my car is terrible.. never repainted.

And bobafette :

Yeah, I do have way too much time on my hands. I'm not looking at making this car insanely quick - I have a project car for that.. Ooo T28 KA24 =) - Doing all the things I want to do, I'm doing because I want to start doing that sort've thing on other cars I own/will own. I figure, I'll throw a few hundred dollars in the engine - I'm not going to get a 5 speed swap like I wanted, because the mechanic doing the swap is doing hte labour for free and I don't want to overwhelm him...

But the cosmetic things I'm doing, I'm doing simply because I'm interested in doing that sort've thing - I'm not going to put all my money, time and effort into making it a show car, but I'm going to make it look pretty good because like you said - I have way too much time on my hands. I just want to get into doing paint - bodywork - interior work and all that because I'm very interested in the custom side of things, and I want to get on with trying new things out for myself.

I don't have the option to just ditch the car and buy something else - I don't have the money and this thing is cheap on insurance and gas =) I just think I can make it look pretty without having to spend an obscene amount of money..

I should have the paint done by the middle, or end of January.. I still have to get back into the country and get a new motor/trans stuck in...

ex1z7
11-22-2005, 10:11 PM

I want to have fun with the car, not have it explode when it hits 70 kph... I like the car, I've always been a really big Nissan fanatic - and as soon as I started driving my accord I really liked it - it was pretty zippy and felt pretty good being low to the ground.. I want to make it look good while having alot of fun doing so - and not sinking a terrible amount of money into it all..

2drSE-i
11-22-2005, 11:27 PM
or a suzuki swift........you know they make turbo kits for the fucking swift, 4 AND 3 cylinder versions!?

bobafett
11-22-2005, 11:35 PM
cool you got a 240 project i see..

where are u at with it right now? i just parted out all my shit, i was building a turbo E as well. sad to see it go, but damn im also glad to get rid of all that shit heheh...

t88 is awefully huge for a kae, u gotta let me know what your plans are for the build! :D

ex1z7
11-23-2005, 01:00 AM
2drSEI -> Swifts are HUGELY popular here in Aus.. They're all bloody turbo's (GTi's) Fast little things though ugly as sin..

bobafett : The plan for the car is..
-T28 off an R33 GT-R Skyline (I'll have both turbo's when I get home =) )
-300zx MAF
-300zx brakes
-GTR injectors
-GTR manifold flanges (takin' the t28 flange off the manifold, takin' the other flange off the KA24 header, doin' some pipe work to make it all fit together..ends up saving time making flanges and such)
-GTR intercooler, or, 300zx - I think my buddy has a gtr IC .. not sure.
-apexi/hks/greddy (whichever I get first) ecu
... Keepin' it nissan parts.

Cosmetic the plan was from the start an S13 Silvia front end conversion, but I think it's been played out way too much - so I'm thinking instead, an S14 Zenki front end (95/96) with a nismo style lip (I'm not interested in "genuine" parts anymore.. bragging factor is over rated)

Kouki 180sx tails, or, something similar - perhaps an altezza based, tinted red tails (so you can't tell they're altezza's, just not that faded plain plastic stock tails..)

5 stud conversion with some 5 spoke Tenzo R's or something similar.

CF hood, perhaps. repaint it flat black (it's blue now)

The mechanical work is going to be done by JTM Custom, I do web design, and other graphical design (shop logo, tshirts, decals etc.) for them, and know the owner so I get the work done for free, or close to - as well as the owner has an RB26DETT sittin' in his garage, gonna put it in his own 240 - I'm getting the turbo pieces he can't use off it once he does the T78 Turbo swap over.

Oh dear.. 700+ hp in a 2300 lb 240sx. I get worried thinking of it..

I wanted to do a CA18DET swap, but the cost of the swap in total is like 2000 to 2500 and to do the turbo swap I can get most of the parts for under 500 bucks in total, the only thing I can't get a deal on so far is the engine management..

When I move back to Canada (next month~) I'll get pictures and write ups of parts on the other JTM Custom cars - (RSX-S, Integra turbo, SR20 240sx, RB26 240sx, and my-soon to be-KA24ET 240)

=)

AccordDX86
11-23-2005, 06:32 AM
You might as well make your Accord look good... Then you'd have two good looking cars, rather than one, and one joke.

crazykamper
11-23-2005, 08:58 AM

speaking of Geo Metro's. i saw the biggest joke one in my life!!! i almost pee ed my pants! It had limo tint, body kit (full body kit!!) and it had altezas's ect ect ect!!!!! it even had a fartcan muffler so when it started accelerating ( if it even can) it sounded like some rocket. I was amazed and wondered how much money they put into that pile.

2drSE-i
11-23-2005, 12:14 PM
haha speaking of metros as well, i was on my way back from the junkyard today on the highway. this kid had a metro, modded alot i guess......APC window banner. i peed my pants laughing. he gets up next to me and floors it, i hear all 4 cylinders of fury going. all i have is an intake, and he was in the dust in seconds lmao

ex1z7
11-23-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm making it look good and hopefully it might be AOM by March - thats the goal ^.^

I might have to do some 3geez shoutouts on the car.. like a side window / rear third light type thing some other accords on here have. =)

The immediate goal is get it running, she needs a new engine and tranny before a paint job...

In steps I think it'll go..
-Engine+Tranny (at..manual is too much work atm)
-strip the paint where it needs to be fixed up
-repaire dents and dings
-strip mouldings
-some tail light work
-panda paint
-rims
-interior work (seat swap maybe, we'll see what I can scrounge up)
-dye the browny trim stuff
-redo carpets in black perhaps
-guages
-stereo
With the interior, I think I'm going to do the roof with cloth just sewn overtop the old. Seat covers as well, maybe, if I can't find seats.. but sew it on instead of getting those elastic things.. rear/front seats like that, and dye the rest of the plastic stuff. I think the carpet might need to stay dark as I really don't care about it, considering all the salt and dirt and sand that'll come into the car.. the carpet is going to get messed up anyways so..

But yeah, goal for the interior is as much black as possible, to match the exterior parts, and perhaps white on others - maybe white seats instead of black.. Panda interior ! I'll have to see how it looks when I start doing it..

AOM for march ;)

lostforawhile
11-23-2005, 04:53 PM
if you are going to pull the headliner,just peel off the old material and glue on new,it's not even sewed,it's really easy. :)

A18A
11-23-2005, 06:02 PM
want some wheels like mine?

russiankid
11-23-2005, 07:17 PM
haha, I meant it's extremely dated, faded, scratched - swirly - flaking off here and there.. I think the champagne colour can look amazing with some flake and a nice accenting colour as well - but the colour of my car is terrible.. never repainted.
And bobafette :
Yeah, I do have way too much time on my hands. I'm not looking at making this car insanely quick - I have a project car for that.. Ooo T28 KA24 =) - Doing all the things I want to do, I'm doing because I want to start doing that sort've thing on other cars I own/will own. I figure, I'll throw a few hundred dollars in the engine - I'm not going to get a 5 speed swap like I wanted, because the mechanic doing the swap is doing hte labour for free and I don't want to overwhelm him...
But the cosmetic things I'm doing, I'm doing simply because I'm interested in doing that sort've thing - I'm not going to put all my money, time and effort into making it a show car, but I'm going to make it look pretty good because like you said - I have way too much time on my hands. I just want to get into doing paint - bodywork - interior work and all that because I'm very interested in the custom side of things, and I want to get on with trying new things out for myself.
I don't have the option to just ditch the car and buy something else - I don't have the money and this thing is cheap on insurance and gas =) I just think I can make it look pretty without having to spend an obscene amount of money..
I should have the paint done by the middle, or end of January.. I still have to get back into the country and get a new motor/trans stuck in...

lol, my clear cout is chipping off in some areas

ex1z7
11-23-2005, 10:01 PM
The paint is oxidised and bland, scratched and - jesus the car is 18 years old :P It's gone through 18 years of Canadian winters .. I'll have it nice soon =)

And God Zilla, I have rims like yours - steelies yo =) Might just spray em black,I'd powdercoat but they're stealies so whats the point.. I'll get nicer 5 or 6 spokes, or maybe even mesh rims if I can find em when I get the chance..

memery261
12-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Swaping in a MT isnt any more work than doing a auto. It only took me about an hour and a half longer than when i changed out the A/T. 1st A/T wouldnt shift out of 2nd, So I got a Trans from the Junkyard for 125.00 and that one shifted fine until it warmed up then wouldnt shift at all. So I did the M/T swap and everything works great. Not any harder just a little longer, switching out shifter, axle, wireing. I would say do the M/T swap you will be glad you did. anyway I spent 170.00 all together for the M/T swap including the starter. Thanks to all the people who contributed the Info on the Swap.

P.S. I understood what you meant by the Joke car, If only people would actually read I think they would have understood also.

ex1z7
12-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Aye. Yeah I want to do a manual swap, and I might end up doing one later on if I don't get a new A/T.. Doing it myself at a friends garage or something instead of getting my mechanic to do it. I hate having an automatic - I love standards.. but just the cost involved.. I'll look around and try and find all the parts i need and see how much it'll run :) Might end up having that M/T I wanted after all.

crazykamper
12-08-2005, 05:46 PM
m/t all the way, if my car wasnt on m/t i would not have got it, thats what is sooo nice about it. I LOVE m/t to death, in our familiy, we dont have a single a/t, lol. thats how much we like em.

ex1z7
12-09-2005, 03:25 AM
I might be forced to ask my mechanic to do the swap if I give him the money for it. He's doing an A/T and new engine swap for free labour, only parts I gotta pay for.. If he's interested in the extra work if I pay for that work for the swap I'll do it..

If I get an engine and transmission already mated together and both in good nick, I need pedal assembly, tranny mounts maybe? axle, harness parts - or can I just plug those auto sockets so it doesn't have to be in park to start (considering M/T's don't have park gears)

Iono.. anyone want to point me in the right direction for the swap? I'm far too lazy to search.. =)

bobafett
12-09-2005, 06:57 AM
I might be forced to ask my mechanic to do the swap if I give him the money for it. He's doing an A/T and new engine swap for free labour, only parts I gotta pay for.. If he's interested in the extra work if I pay for that work for the swap I'll do it..
If I get an engine and transmission already mated together and both in good nick, I need pedal assembly, tranny mounts maybe? axle, harness parts - or can I just plug those auto sockets so it doesn't have to be in park to start (considering M/T's don't have park gears)
Iono.. anyone want to point me in the right direction for the swap? I'm far too lazy to search.. =)

lol u could have at least lied and said that u searched and couldnt find anything relevant. why would people search FOR you if u are just too lazy to do it yourself?

good luck

logic
12-09-2005, 10:27 AM
the double wishbone on the accord is still used in it's basic form today,with some tweaks,our generation was the first to get it,it came from hondas formula racing program. all the accords have been noted for their handling since the first came out and have won awards for it. it still makes me sick that they had an accord wagon,it's like making a four door vette or something. in 86 the civic was the lowly car,the accord and prelude were the high end ones,and the integra had just come out.

The second gen Accords had great handling with McPhearson struts, I think the biggest advantage of the 3geez is they are wider and just as low.

As far as the Accords being sporty, I don't quite see that, that's what Preludes are for, the Accord is more of a family economy car that's not nearly as tinny as the civic, just a step up, not a different purpouse in my opinion.. Remember at the time the american counterpart was the Citation, not the Celebrity, there was a Chevette or something that was the equivelant of the civic...(by equivilent I mean same price range/target audience)

logic
12-09-2005, 10:30 AM

lol jk

May be ugly, but it's the perfect color for us lazy people who don't ever wash their cars!!!:rofl:

2drSE-i
12-09-2005, 01:46 PM
well seeing as how the preludes at the time of original production had the same engine and same suspension, id say they were pretty sporty. the prelude was the sport car yes, but calling accords an upgrade from a civic is ludicrous

way more powerful engine
double wishbone suspension(as opposed to rack and pinion)

lets just end it there and say the accord was the slightly slower luxury sport car

ex1z7
12-09-2005, 02:19 PM
lol u could have at least lied and said that u searched and couldnt find anything relevant. why would people search FOR you if u are just too lazy to do it yourself?
good luck

Fiiiiine... Well I searched and searched and couldn't find anything.. anyone know a quick link?

=P better?

lostforawhile
12-09-2005, 03:00 PM
The second gen Accords had great handling with McPhearson struts, I think the biggest advantage of the 3geez is they are wider and just as low.
As far as the Accords being sporty, I don't quite see that, that's what Preludes are for, the Accord is more of a family economy car that's not nearly as tinny as the civic, just a step up, not a different purpouse in my opinion.. Remember at the time the american counterpart was the Citation, not the Celebrity, there was a Chevette or something that was the equivelant of the civic...(by equivilent I mean same price range/target audience)the accords have always been sporty and were advertised as such way before out generation came out. the suspension on our cars was derived directly from hondas formula one program. the accord and prelude were always pretty close to each other until the accord was turned into a family car after 89. thank god they at least kept the coupes,or it might have become another taurus. in my "unbiased opininion"(right) the coupes and hatches were the more sporty cars. the integra looks just like the accord hatches that came before it. talking about the first ones. for a lot of people who don't know the difference,they can't tell the difference between the first gen integra coupe and the third generation hatch. if you look at the brand new accord coupes,they are still ery much sports cars today. you know i haven't even thought about it i'm ashamed to say,but did they stop making the prelude? I haven't seen anything about them for a long time.

logic
12-12-2005, 07:14 PM
double wishbone suspension(as opposed to rack and pinion)

Ah... Accords have double wish bone suspension and rack and pinion steering, civics kept the MacPhearson strut suspension but also have rack and pinion steering...

As far as what's ludicrous, you may feel that way, I don't....

2drSE-i
12-12-2005, 09:58 PM
yea silly me, was a lil tired that night (or morning, or afternoon.....im pretty much tired all the time) i just dont think its fair to call our cars an upgrade from a civic, or a downgrade from a prelude.

lostforawhile
12-13-2005, 03:16 AM
:rockon: and remember they all started out as hatches,except for the prelude.