PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Brake Fluid From...

halxi
11-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Well i pulled my car in the garage today for the first inspection, low and behold... my master cylinder is fine, but my left rear drum has a constant trickle of brake fluid comming out of it after i fill the res. then just let it sit or add pressure. What could it be? I need to get it fixed but ill have to hold off until tomorrow morning to start that repair. Maybe its time for rear discs? Wonder if i could get a friend to go to the J/Y with for a set... hmmmm

Well does anyone have any ideas? I started pulling the drum off and had it almost all the way off, but gave up because of how hard it was getting. I need to get my car out of the way so my dad can get into the garage when he gets home or he'll get all pissed about that.

Could it be just the cylinder/spring or something in the drum? Any advice is helpfull, so i can maybe buy the part before i tear the drums apart... i REALLY REALLY dont want to invest money into drums, but right now i dont have anything in the line of stopping power.

Deadhead
11-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Ok, when taking it off, did you disengage the E-brake?

That would make it really really hard to take off.

It could be the wheel cylinder's gaskets have cracked and finally let go. Maybe the dust boots came off and dust got in there making the seals fail.

find me online sometime, i just finished brakes at the junior college... If i can , i can come and fix it for you with the right parts, i've got the tools.

Oldblueaccord
11-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Well i pulled my car in the garage today for the first inspection, low and behold... my master cylinder is fine, but my left rear drum has a constant trickle of brake fluid comming out of it after i fill the res. then just let it sit or add pressure. What could it be? I need to get it fixed but ill have to hold off until tomorrow morning to start that repair. Maybe its time for rear discs? Wonder if i could get a friend to go to the J/Y with for a set... hmmmm
Well does anyone have any ideas? I started pulling the drum off and had it almost all the way off, but gave up because of how hard it was getting. I need to get my car out of the way so my dad can get into the garage when he gets home or he'll get all pissed about that.
Could it be just the cylinder/spring or something in the drum? Any advice is helpfull, so i can maybe buy the part before i tear the drums apart... i REALLY REALLY dont want to invest money into drums, but right now i dont have anything in the line of stopping power.

wheel cylinder is shot or the brake shoes are out so far its letting fluid by the cups.

wp

Ace
11-22-2005, 03:30 PM
yea inspect you're wheel cylinder thats what it sounds like to me

HondaBoy
11-22-2005, 07:06 PM
i'd say the brake cylinder in the rear drum. i have seen more than a few 3gee's with that problem. in fact mine had to be replaced about 4 or 5 years back. they were pretty cheap.

Ace
11-22-2005, 07:28 PM
yea I just replaced mine got the whole thing for $25 not bad and installs pretty straight forward

halxi
11-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Yea im thinkin about going to SE-i rear discs now... not sure though

i think the pads are just completely shot, they have been griding for the past week or so... i just didnt want to put money into drums if im going to be getting discs, but o well.

edit - also, even with the parking brake disengaged, my BRAKE dash light is still on... so im not exactly sure wtf is going on... the drum will pull apart about 1/2" then just stay there and wont pry any further... Also quinton, are you free tomorrow? Thats when im doing it, since i dont have school.

HondaBoy
11-22-2005, 09:05 PM
if you can get ahold of SE-i brakes, i say go for it. drums are a bitch to work on compared to disks and calipers.

Ace
11-22-2005, 09:08 PM
yea the brake light is coming on because of low brake fluid I believe I had the same problem. I hate drums I cannot wait to do my conversion defintally worth it

halxi
11-23-2005, 10:28 AM
well i cant get the left drum off, took me all of TWO seconds (literally) to pull the right one, but the left one will not come off... ive been fuckin with it for an hour now, and still nothing.

Any ideas?

Kabuki
11-23-2005, 10:45 AM
There should be (on most models) a couple of bolt holes in the drums. Insert and twist in bolts and it will force the drum off.

halxi
11-23-2005, 01:02 PM
got the drum off

HUGE lip on it

now i have the problem of getting a few of the internal parts off of the pads... cant get the clips off and its causing a huge problem. I should of been done with this already... wait, i would of been done with this already if i had discs!

halxi
11-23-2005, 10:57 PM
YAY i got new brakes! stops on a dime now... but guess the fuck what!@

SOMETHING ELSE WENT WRONG! FUCKING JOY!!!!!

(if you havent noticed yet... im being sarcastic, im fucking pissed as hell)

This girl came over and we went out tonight, ive been good friends with her for awhile and weve talked about dating... but anyways, she came right as i was finishing up my car and i got in a hurry to finish it... well i forgot to snug the lugs on the front left wheel. So now one of them is stuck on, going to have to cut/sheer it off and replace it... and my caliper is shootin brake fluid everywhere but i cant get my wheel off to look at it! AHHH WHAT A FUCKING NIGHT!

friday im going to take it into my friends work (discount tire) and he says they can probably get it replaced for free... but i dunno yet, im severly pissed right now. I dont even want a car anymore.

Deadhead
11-24-2005, 11:07 AM
good luck man

sounds like you need to do a FULL INSPECTION and tune up

and get everything replaced that needs it, your dumping a ton of money into this bucket.... maybe time to find a different car?

smufguy
11-24-2005, 11:16 AM
with the air ratchet you should be able to pull the locked lug off and then switch out just that stud and a new lug and ur fine.

Chick made you loose ur concentration huh? :kekeke:

halxi
11-24-2005, 12:44 PM
haha yea, shes hot tho... deadhead has seen a few pics of her.

Deadhead
11-24-2005, 09:06 PM
yup, i can definately vouch for that.... but she's on myspace, which means DRAMA..... not to mention the damn pink and more pink she's got in her personalized page... gah!

halxi
11-24-2005, 11:33 PM
really the only drama involved with her is what her boyfriend starts...