PDA

View Full Version : some motor questions

b8er
11-22-2005, 03:10 PM
ok so i bought an se-i cause the motor was sized and i finnaly got some time so i pulled the head of the motor ( which i already pulled out ) and i was gonna see if the head was hurt because when i pulled the motor out i took the oil pan off and found out that number 4 cylinders connection rod had fallen off and the rod was completly off the crank journal which made me think that the valves were gonna be toast but once i pulled the head all th vales were fine, not a dent/scratch/nick, nothing, they were all perfect but when i was looking at the piston heads i noticed something weird, the heads had 4 indents for valve spacing, now is this normal?, im thinking not as the a20's only have 3 valves per cylinder not 4 like the piston heads are made for, my best thought is that the motor has been re-build before with the wrong heads. what do you guys think, is this normal or are they the wrong heads, also i guess i can add another check mark to the non-interferrence argument.

blahblahblah
11-22-2005, 03:24 PM
More proof its an interferrence motor...The dishs are wrong on all of the a20s I see...4 dishs for 3 valves?? Makes you wonder about the 3g....

b8er
11-22-2005, 03:54 PM
wouldnt the piston heads and valves being ok prove its not an interferrence motor also, do all the a20's normaly have 4 indents not 3 like they should?

jigga89SEi
11-22-2005, 06:24 PM
This has been covered a couple times...

But in short its to save money.. So honda didn't have to make a bunch of different pistons... Because the spark plug hole changes sides... its one piston that will work in all the cylinders with that head setup...

b8er
11-23-2005, 02:35 AM
its one piston that will work in all the cylinders with that head setup

i dont quite follow that, isnt the a20 the only model to run our head setup? in any case i was thinking about it and i asume its been coverd before but isnt there the possibility of finding out what other motors run this piston head and possibly use the different piston head if its less expencive or perhaps the company doesnt realize it could be used in the a20, (i know its a long shot but mabye, just mabye) just some last minute thoughts before bed

AccordEpicenter
11-23-2005, 07:37 PM
if you didnt have the valve relief your pistons woulnt balance, theyd be heavier on one side than another. Thats not good at 7000 rpm

FyreDaug
11-25-2005, 11:52 PM
if you didnt have the valve relief your pistons woulnt balance, theyd be heavier on one side than another. Thats not good at 7000 rpm

Thats what I was thinking, but I didnt know the word. Technically the piston would be unbalanced and its also where most of the compression takes place, in that groove