PDA

View Full Version : REALLY good deal on an alarm system if you guys need one

suvsareretarded
11-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Hey! I picked up an Avital Tornado 2, which I've read good things about from ebay, here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRNEW-AVITAL-TORNADO-2-CAR-ALARM-REMOTE-ENTRY-CLIFFORD_W0QQitemZ5831319944QQcategoryZ60202QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

I scored one a while back and with shipping it was $18. Total. :) My car already has powerlocks, so hopefully by this weekend is through I'll have an alarm and keyless entry for under $20. Woot.

BTW, where the hell are you supposed to put the 'shock sensor'? The instructions don't even mention it, other than how to wire it.

lostforawhile
11-23-2005, 09:39 AM
woot!woot!just got one too for under 20 bucks including shipping,now thats a clifford brand,excellent alarm. oh the shock sensor goes towards the center of the car. you should be able to put a jack under the car at all four corners,and it should trigger. also bump up against the car resonably hard and see if it triggers.

suvsareretarded
11-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Like near the console? Under the console? Center of the firewall in the engine compartment? Under the dash?

lostforawhile
11-23-2005, 09:46 AM
the center console would be a good location,centrally located. just test it before you install it permantatly.

TJ89Accord
11-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Usually zip tie the shock sensor to a bundle of wires. Then adjust the sensitivity to your liking. Check out www.the12volt.com there is LOTS of info on there that will help you in your install.

tim

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Zip-tieing the shock sensor to wires is likely to render it useless. I mounted my shock sensor on the little ledge on the firewall in the engine compartment. There is enough space to drill a hole and screw it down tight there. Alternatively, you can mount it to any body part (not dashboard) preferably with screws. I just had to reinstall the Viper alarm in my father's Camry because the "proffesional" installer ziptied the alarm module, which contains the shock sensor, to some wires. The sensor would not respond to any shock exerted on the body. After being solidly screwed down to the metal of the body, it responds perfectly.

MattsAccord
11-25-2005, 12:51 AM
So for around $20 this is a steal, and does anyone know how the quality is on them. I mean for $20 i dont think you can really go wrong but im just wondering. One more thing how hard is it to hook them up.

lostforawhile
11-25-2005, 08:37 AM
yea i always attached mine near the center of the car somewhere. this is a realy good alarm,I know that company,they clearance new alarms and things for different companies, I wish they would hurry and send the adress so i can send the money to them

Robs89LXi
11-25-2005, 09:05 AM
You sure this kit come with everything needed? Pic does not show any wiring; just curious.

lostforawhile
11-25-2005, 09:16 AM
it said it was brand new off the shelf,in the box of course,it has a 90 day warranty,I'm sure it includes the wiring

Robs89LXi
11-25-2005, 09:18 AM
LOL. Hey Lost, just pulling your leg, man :)
Yeah, I'm sure it comes with wiring.

lostforawhile
11-25-2005, 09:48 AM
yea if it was four bucks and change from some guy on the street corner I would figure it didn't have wiring. pssssttt it'ss only been installed a week if you buy it now i'll incluse a guin-u-ine rolex with it. :bowrofl:

TJ89Accord
11-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Zip-tieing the shock sensor to wires is likely to render it useless. I mounted my shock sensor on the little ledge on the firewall in the engine compartment. There is enough space to drill a hole and screw it down tight there. Alternatively, you can mount it to any body part (not dashboard) preferably with screws. I just had to reinstall the Viper alarm in my father's Camry because the "proffesional" installer ziptied the alarm module, which contains the shock sensor, to some wires. The sensor would not respond to any shock exerted on the body. After being solidly screwed down to the metal of the body, it responds perfectly.

No if you adjust the sensitivity it will work just fine, and the install manuals actually tell you to do this.

suvsareretarded
11-25-2005, 11:17 AM
My avital tornado 2 box arrived unopened, and has 2 remotes, wiring harness, siren, alarm system computer, shock sensor, wiring harness for the siren, shock sensor, etc etc. It even included 2 inline fuse connectors with the fuses and terminal connectors for hooking it up to the battery. Oh, and a lot of miscellaneous hardware like screws and zip ties. The instructions were a little sketchy but I think I can figure it out.

bucket_man
11-27-2005, 02:44 AM
The wires would move slightly with the impact, softening the impact. If you're going to install an alarm you might as well do it properly, not just adjust the sensitivity to make up for it. Dad's car had a problem like that a while ago.