PDA

View Full Version : Problem taking dash off!

FyreDaug
11-23-2005, 10:35 AM
This is driving me insane, I have all the connectors removed, the heater controls and all the bolts out and the dash is loose (can come off) but for some reason I cant get it over the signal light/washer lever. I almost broke the damn washer lever off with the weight of the dash.

Also, I cant seem to figure out how to get the gauge cluster off, I read the how to for the dash, but it said something about taking 4 screws off in the corners? Where exactly? I have the top cover with 2 screws off, and I can wiggle the piece around, but its still connected to the rest of the dash. I tried prying the plastic apart, but I Figured I was giving it enough stress and it looked like it was going to break.

What am I doing wrong?

lostforawhile
11-23-2005, 10:51 AM
um you need to take the combination switch loose first,the switch with the washers,lights etc. this means remove the wheel,and take out the screws.also you need to remove the instrument cluster before you ca take the dash out. you take out the switches,they pry out carefully,talking about the ones under the cluster,unplug them then the screws are hidden behind them. also take out the plastic plate in the top of the cluster,there are two screws under it. you can see them through the winshield with the plate off. if you feel around behind there with the cluster cover off,there is a tab on the speedo cable right at the back of the speedometer,squeeze that tab and the cable will come out the back of the speedometer. once you get the cover off of the instrument cluster you'll see the four screws,take those out then press that tab to release the speedo cable,then unplug all of the electrical connections on the back of the cluster,and simply take the cluster out.

FyreDaug
11-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Holy shit, thats not quite what was in this post: http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=106&highlight=remove+dash <-- last post, smufguy.

Didnt say anything about removing the wheel. Shit is this gonna take alot longer than I had planned. I dont have enough time to do all this, so I godda put it back together then and do it another day. Spent too much time dickin around with it

lostforawhile
11-23-2005, 11:13 AM
taking off the wheel is easy,you pry out the little h emblem and remove one bolt,it pulls straight off,then the combination switch is easy,it's just a few screws,if you loosen the wire ties,you can pull it off and leave it connected to the harness,i supose you could try to pull the dash over it,but the combo switches are getting hard to find and you don't want to break it. it's not that hard to remove the instrument cluster if you have done it before,but if you don't know about the screw locations and how to release the speedo cable it can make you go nuts. if anyone says you can remove the dash with the instrument cluster attached to it,they are full of *hit, the harness attached to the back of the cluster is attached to the body harness which stays attached to the car even with the dash removed. also the cluster won't move much until you release the speedo cable.

POS carb
11-23-2005, 11:38 AM
drop the steering column, 2 bolts 2 nuts 14mm

the gauge cover is held by 2 screws on the top (under the pry-off panel) and some more behind the little dash switches. once the cover is off you take 4 screws off the corners of the gauge assembly, pull it forward, you have to reach behind and unclip the speedo first then unclip all the wiring harnesses (they are keyed, no worries about plugging one in to the incorrect hole) the gauges should come out

there is a nut behind the clock too and the black bracket behind the radio bolts through the firewall

TheWatcher
11-23-2005, 12:31 PM
it's not that hard to remove the instrument cluster if you have done it before,but if you don't know about the screw locations and how to release the speedo cable it can make you go nuts.
You can use the shop manual for instructions & illustrations on removing the dash. Paul's site has the shop manual available (free!).

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

I've used the shop manual many times, it's probably the greatest single contribution by any member to 3geez. :thumbup:

Peace.

FyreDaug
11-23-2005, 12:48 PM
I finally got it, what a pain though, shit. Thanks guys, mostly lostforawhile because he posted first and I used the instructions. Ill drive the girls car today :p

A18A
11-23-2005, 01:24 PM
whew, glad i didnt have 2 do all dat, i just pulled mine out thru the window (somehow it got smashed :( im getting a replacement soon so dont flame me :)