PDA

View Full Version : Injector fuse blowing.

Greg A.
11-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Here's the story:

My 86 Exi ran erratically when I bought it (cheap) due to a dying alternator. As I was pulling it in to the shop to fix it, I heard an electrical sort of fizzing noise somewhere in the passenger compartment (not under the hood). Then a "pop" and then the car died.

I replaced the crappy alternator and belts and whatnot and tried to restart the car. No go. Everytime I turn it over, the injector fuse blows.

Any ideas what has happened here? And how do I track down what's causing the fuse to blow?

thanks,
Greg.

shepherd79
11-24-2005, 05:59 AM
it is hard to say what happen. you may want to see if you have a short somewhere.

FyreDaug
11-24-2005, 07:06 AM
Well its obvious its drawing too much power, so there has to be a short somewhere.... but where about in the passenger compartment? Driver side or pass side?

88LXi/87CRXSi
11-25-2005, 08:20 PM
I'm gonna take a guess that the electrical fizzing noise was coming from the main relay on the drivers side. That's the first place the power from fuse #1 goes to, before powering the injectors/resisters. So I'm gonna take another guess that the main relay is probably damaged. It may be the cause of the short or the short may be in one of the injectors or resisters or the wiring.

halxi
11-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Would a fautly main relay cause major sputtering/missing?

My car has been doing that ALOT lately, and my main relay is on its last leg... i have a new one, just gotta replace it.

Greg A.
11-30-2005, 01:39 PM
thanks for the ideas. I'll see what I can figure out this weekend...

Greg A.
12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Ok, still no luck.
Main relay is good.
ECU ground is good.
Injector resistor reads proper resistance.
Injectors read proper resistance.
But, when I pulled the electrical connectors off the injectors, there's gas pooled around in the connector. Could gas be leaking through a seal or something in the injector body into the electrical connector?
This would seem weird, but I suppose the gas could short the circuit. I guess I'll try replacing the injectors. THen my last try will be to replace the ECU.
Any other ideas?
thx,
Greg.

Oldblueaccord
12-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Well you covered alot. Blown fuse is a short somewhere. Your gonna have to figure out everything on that circuit. Unhook everything and addd one by one until the fuse quits popping.

A multi meter would be really handy. Checking for continuity and resistence (infinity) there be a short.

wp

Greg A.
12-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Well, for anyone who's curious. It was the ECU.

I swapped one in that I picked up at the scrapper, and shazaam! Started like a charm. Despite sitting dead in the cold and snow for 3 weeks.

Now I just have to change the fluids, fix the brakes, and repair the exhaust. fun...

88Accord-DX
12-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Well, for anyone who's curious.
I was curious. Thanks for the update guy. Wish more people would up-date threads with solutions to their fix. :thumbup: