PDA

View Full Version : What is this shiny thing? (pics)

Shadowkat
11-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Alright, so I'm doing a auto to 5 speed swap, and at the same time, I'm replacing my 240ish,000 mile engine with an engine with less miles. The engineand tranny I bought are from two different cars, and I'm about to connect them before I drop the engine/tranny in. However, as I go to put the flywheel on, I find this shiny metal plate. It has the same bolt pattern as the flywheel so I'm wondering if the flywheel bolts over that plate or if the shiny plate was just a cover put on by the auto yard to protect the engine. The plate is just so siny in comparison to the rest of the engine that it looks out of place. Anyone that has ever re-attatched a flywheel, please help.
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/5157/dscn03521mg.th.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn03521mg.jpg)
http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/4710/dscn03502yg.th.jpg (http://img334.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn03502yg.jpg)

lostforawhile
11-24-2005, 11:50 AM
thats your flex plate,thats what the torque converter bolts to,manual transmissions don't have torque converters,and autos don't have flywheels

Shadowkat
11-24-2005, 12:56 PM
so i need to take the flex plate (shiny thing) off and put the flywheel i bought on instead correct? If this is the case, can I use the same bolts?

lostforawhile
11-24-2005, 01:03 PM
I thin they are different,the ones from the manual transmission should have a ten stamped on them,

Shadowkat
11-24-2005, 01:08 PM
k, thanks for the help! I owe you one lostforawhile :bowrofl:

racerx
11-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Those bolts will work for the flywheel too, just so you know.
You'll need a 17mm 12-point socket. Make sure you have it on flat when you loosen those bolts though. They're shallow and strip easily.

I recommend using an impact wrench for this. I've actually never done it any other way, and I can't imagine what a pain in the @$$ it would be with just a regular wrench.

You know how the clutch bolts up to the flywheel right? Are you getting a new or used clutch?

AccordEpicenter
11-24-2005, 04:40 PM
the flywheel bolts are different length, you will need the manual transmission bolts. They are stamped MT right on the head. I wouldnt use those AT bolts. You really really gotta tighten the hell out of those bolts too. I usually go above and beyond the torque spec on those bolts (ive seen them come loose before) id just burp em on with an air impact wrench

Shadowkat
11-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Yeah the bolts i have on the flex plate do say at, so i need to get the mt ones. also, i am getting a new clutch, seeing as the tranny didn't come w/ one, but i actually don't know how it bolts up just yet, i was planning on using the chilton's when i got there. Any hints on that subject? let me know.

Shadowkat
11-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Also, I checked the chilton's. It only says the flywheel nuts need to be torqued down to 76 Ft lbs (105 Nm). I can get that with a rachet and a 4 foot pipe as a lever, are you sure I need an impact wrench? (I don't have a compressor, so if i can avoid that it would be nice) I know my friend's RX7 had a flywheel nut that needed like 350+ ft lbs of torque, so 76 doesn't sound so bad.

newaccorddriver
11-24-2005, 08:35 PM
you should probably get the 76lbs of torque with a torque wrench, its not too expensive and i considered mine a good investment as i needed it more then once.

for the clutch, there should be 3 pins that stick out, the pressure plate of the clutch has 3 pins that line up to it, and from there you bolt it up with 6 pressure plate bolts. its recommended that you get the flywheel resurfaced though. when i resurfaced my flywheel, they didnt know what they were doing and cut off 1 of the 3 pins. one of them broke off during installation and then i bent the pressure plate. when you get it back, you should inspect it before you accept it as you dont want to do what happened to me. my clutch still works, but i was just lucky

racerx
11-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I've used my torque wrench more times than I can count! definately get one of those.

the reason you should just nail it with an impact wrench is because it's a big PITA to hold the flywheel/engine from turning while you try to put 76 ftlbs on a tiny little bolt head. some people don't seem to think it's a big deal, but i wouldn't want to deal with it. it's just a lot easier to use an impact.

as far as the clutch goes, it's easier than putting the flywheel on. there's a pin that goes through the pressure plate (self explanatory when you see it), and then bolt the pressure plate down with the clutch disc behind it.
you'll need the clutch alignment tool that should come with the clutch kit.

i highly recommend getting a Daikin or Exedy clutch. Best OEM replacement IMO.

For the pressure plate, you'll need a 10mm 12-point socket. It's a little more common than the 17mm 12-point, so you might already have one. Good luck!!!

newaccorddriver
11-24-2005, 09:27 PM
i bought a 'flywheel turning tool' to deal with my torquing problems. actually, that was just the start of it, you need a second pair of hands to actually hold the tool while you torque them down. i just used my old torque converter to hold it in place while im torquing the bolts:lol: .

i wouldnt recommend using an impact to get them in though, if you strip threads on the crank, itll be a nightmare to fix. is it really worth spending more time/money then you have to cause you couldnt hold the flywheel in place? just go to automotive stores and ask around, a few places are bound to hand them for sale, itll be worth it in the end knowing your flywheel was bolted in place properly.

Shadowkat
11-24-2005, 09:29 PM
This info will definatly come in handy. Thanks for all the help!

newaccorddriver
11-24-2005, 09:31 PM
i never realized your accord had 240k miles on it, that beats my 320000km on mine. first transmission? if it is, thats pretty good cause mine gave out at 3199xxkms

Shadowkat
11-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah, my car lasted a long time before the tranny starteds to go, I'd say about 225000ish miles before i started to notice problems(violent shaking when car went down to 1st gear, but worked okay if i put it in neutral, then back in drive), and at 240000 or so is when it just plain went fubar. It started to slip in and out of gears, wouldn't shift right, and spent most of it's time in neutral against my wishes, but hey, 17 years - 240000 miles was a hell of a run, plus the new engine i bought only has 150000 on it, and the tranny just a little more, so i should be set for a few more years.

Shadowkat
11-24-2005, 10:02 PM
okay, back to topic. so should i use just a regular torque wrench, or this flywheel turning tool? and what does the flywheel turning tool do exactly?

newaccorddriver
11-24-2005, 10:47 PM
okay, back to topic. so should i use just a regular torque wrench, or this flywheel turning tool? and what does the flywheel turning tool do exactly?

practically all torque wrenches are the same, they just measure the amount of force being put on a particular nut/bolt. so yes, any regular torque wrench would do the job. this flywheel turning tool is a specialty tool which can turn or hold the flywheel. it just has 2 'hooks' which hook onto 2 pegs on the flywheel and from there you can either turn it or hold it still. its a very simple tool to use, although its actually expensive for what it actually is

Shadowkat
11-24-2005, 10:57 PM
I see, so it looks like torque wrench is good/cheapest option, although my current torque wrench only goes to 50Nm, so i'll need to get one that goes to like 150Nm, but shouldn't be too bad on price

newaccorddriver
11-24-2005, 11:58 PM
I see, so it looks like torque wrench is good/cheapest option, although my current torque wrench only goes to 50Nm, so i'll need to get one that goes to like 150Nm, but shouldn't be too bad on price

i only paid $40CDN for mine and it works perfectly, but i had to buy a $80 one for the axle nuts(cheaper one doesnt go up to 136lb/ft)

89accordex4dr
11-25-2005, 03:52 AM
At has no fly-wheel?how does the starter motor work on a auto?
I woudn't no az i'v owned manual cars.

newaccorddriver
11-25-2005, 07:34 AM
At has no fly-wheel?how does the starter motor work on a auto?
I woudn't no az i'v owned manual cars.

the torque converter has the tooth the starter needs

newaccorddriver
11-25-2005, 07:35 AM
hey Shadowkat, did you get the housing for the starter? the auto one wont bolt up to the manual transmission properly

racerx
11-25-2005, 08:14 AM
the starter connects to a disc on the torque converter, same as it connects to the flywheel.

and as far as torque wrenchs go, since you already have one for smaller settings, I'd recommend just getting one to get you by for higher settings.

I have a Craftsman torque wrench (over $60USD), but it turns out they do NOT warranty their torque wrenchs like they do all their other hand tools. Don't know why, but I found that out the hard way...
So it might not be worth it to buy an expensive one, if you don't plan on using it that much.

Shadowkat
11-25-2005, 09:04 AM
well, I'm going out today for the toque wrench, so I'll probably get one with pretty high settings. Also, I have not gotten the starter yet, I'm going to the yard today to pick up more of the parts I need and I was hoping to pick up a starter motor, if i can't find one there, do they sell that kind of thing at napa or autozone? and if so, how much can i expect to pay for one?