PDA

View Full Version : tweets

crazykamper
11-24-2005, 05:53 PM
hey, i was wondering where you all have put your tweeters at?? and how would i wire them to my stereo.... i have a piece of shinto aiwa one. its really crappy, but it gets the job done.... post pics of ur setup if can...

Hash_man_Se_i
11-24-2005, 06:51 PM
I'll get some pics soon, but my tweeters were to big to fit anywhere in the doors so I had custom pods built into my A-pillars, they look like they came from the factory.

And I'm assuming you have a component speaker set... to wire them up you need to run them through the crossover.

TheWatcher
11-25-2005, 12:26 AM
The closer the tweeter is - in relation to the mid-range speaker - the better imaging. The further the tweeter is from the mid-range, the more difficult the imaging. This is the general rule.

I would try to keep the tweeter within 6" of the midrange, if possible.

Peace.

Hash_man_Se_i
11-25-2005, 01:56 AM
^^^ Ummm.... no... you want to bring the soundstage up basically to the top of the dash, hence having the tweeters in the a-pillars, that is probably the optimal position for best sound.

crazykamper
11-25-2005, 09:25 AM
aight. so i would wire them to crossover, the crossover that i dont have. lol. all i have is a pos aiwa cdplayer and 2 alpines, and 2 kenwoods.

TheWatcher
11-25-2005, 06:57 PM
^^^ Ummm.... no... you want to bring the soundstage up basically to the top of the dash, hence having the tweeters in the a-pillars, that is probably the optimal position for best sound.
ummm....no....

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-CYddunbg4sM/learningcenter/car/speakers_imaging_soundstage.html

Quote: "Equalizing path lengths

To get proper imaging, the path lengths between your speakers and your ears need to be as close to equal as possible."

That's why I mentioned keeping the tweeter close to the mid-range. As long as the tweeters are positioned correctly, it shouldn't matter whether the tweeters are located down in the kickpanels or high on the dash (as long as the path to the listener is unobstructed).

As the article mentioned, the only way to really correct unequal sound paths to get a perfect soundstage is digital time correction. This complicates setting up a perfect soundstage considerably. I mean, my deck has digital time correction thru the DSP, but I'm not expert enough to attempt to tune my car's soundstage w/ it. I use the preset soundstage on my deck, and I just have Excelon speakers in the front doors (no component - I don't want to attract thieves - once they see a tweeter, thieves know you have amps, cross-overs, subs, etc.).

BTW, I read about imaging and soundstage in other places, I just posted the Crutchfield article since I am too lazy to look, and it came up on the 1st screen of my Google search. :)

Peace.

Hash_man_Se_i
11-25-2005, 08:57 PM
From the crutchfield article:

Despite the growing popularity of products like Q-Forms and angled tweeters in full-range speakers, many of us, for reasons of taste or budget, still choose to improve our imaging with a more traditional use of matched components, mounting the mid-woofers in factory locations and tweeters up high on the dash or door. It's wise to keep the mid-woofer and tweeter as close together as possible so that the two drivers will act together as a single point source.

OK, this may be true for many component sets, but with my Focal's, and many other sets I have seen and heard they are designed to have the tweeters mounted in the a-pillars, and the mid down in the door. They are designed for this and therefore that positioning provides the best sound from them.

FyreDaug
11-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Well it could depend on the speaker, but I always figure the closer they are the better, that way you dont have small delays in the sound. Get 2 sets of fronts (my next move) with a more powerful sub. I need better mid bass, s o im getting some 8" drivers up front to match the mb quarts in the pods. I kept the tweet "attached" to the mid like mb quart supplies parts for and aimed them up.

AIMING is more important than tweeter position. My pods made a big difference.

crazykamper
11-28-2005, 05:27 PM
what kind of cd player are u runnin?? to allow me to run the tweets and everything else.... i want to run tweets, (sometime in future, after subs,) and be able to run everything else (subs as well). preffered if has sub contorls and mp3

Hash_man_Se_i
11-28-2005, 11:45 PM
So many decks out there have sub controls, and multiple outputs. IMo if youre going to run a component set in the front I would amp them as well as your sub. So you'll want at least two outputs on the deck.