PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Tranny Leak!

JFreddy
11-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Alright I'll try to make this quick a simple. Bought new drivers side axle cas the old one was clicking aruond corners (typical in old age, car has 290 xxx kms) put in new axle no problem, no more clicking.

3 weeks later, huge oild puddle under accord in student parking lot at school. Not fun. Problem that I first thought, axle seal? jacked it up looked under it, yeah that seems to be where its leaking from. Go to work to get an experts opinion (I work at Smart Auto local shop in the city). They agree, its an axle seal.

Replace both axle seals properly with supervision of a technician. Stilll leaks, now there is another variable here....:sad2: when we drained the oil from the tranny (this is a 5 spd tranny btw) it had a ton of metal shavings in it... gave the oil a metal fleck. Woulda looked cool as a paint color. Anyways this wasnt like this two days earlier so I'm guessing it was from driving it from the house to the shop while oil was constantling dripping out of the tranny.

So the question is, is it because of the metal shavings chewing up axle seals so replacing them does nothing? or is there something I'm missing? another possible leak area? its back at the shop going to talk to my boss about it tomorrow, but any info from here would help.

P.S. looks like im going to be putting a new tranny into the accord, should I be simple and go with the prelude tranny for soemwhat sporty gears or should I try to do the accord tranny with integra gears? like in the How To?
Which is better cost wise? As for the rest of the info I'll just search about the transmissions.

Thanks for those who have made it through the whole thing and any help would be great.

halxi
11-24-2005, 11:46 PM
go through all the bolts that hold the 2 parts of the housing together, and make sure they are all tight... just to be safe

i know my dads cummins had a few come loose and we had about 6 quarts of tranny fluid on the floor in our garage after that

AccordEpicenter
11-25-2005, 09:51 AM
make sure you axles are in all the way, also did you use honda axle seals? If you keep getting puddles of oil back there check your PS lines on top of the diff housing that connect to that speedo sensor, those leak all the time

JFreddy
11-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the advice I'm on my way to work right now to go check it out, and accordepicenter what do you mean with PS? Power Steering lines? or somethin else?

AccordEpicenter
11-25-2005, 02:33 PM
there are 2 ps lines that go into the upper part of the speedo sensor in the back of the tranny. If those leak youll get all kinds of shit right around the axle seals and a small puddle around it.

russiankid
11-25-2005, 03:44 PM
replace the seals, and do a tranny flush

JFreddy
11-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Well, shit is all i have to say, my tranny is fubar'd!!! F*CK!!! lol yeah so u kno where the tranny meets the motor and there is a little space where you can see i think its the flywheel? it looks like a big gear? its right in front of where the axles are, well its spittin oil out of there, onto the axles to make it seem like an axle seal. just to make it better with the oil comes shavings of metal like theres a machine shop inside my tranny. Not Cool! so ya looking for a new transmission cas the tech's at the shop say its not worth fixing (the transmission, not the car)

So the question stands, should I look for a prelude transmission while I'm doing this? I'm putting a new clutch in for sure and now looking for a transmission (5 spd)

I've searched this through and this is what I came out with, For prelude trannys I just need to find one that was on a 2.0 L prelude? or does it have to be the 2.0 Si? and Is it any year between 86-89? I would like to do this as just a bolt up no fabricating anything because I would like to get the car on the road ASAP. Thanks for the help

JFreddy