PDA

View Full Version : speaker grilles for the newbies

POS carb
08-16-2002, 09:32 PM
custom-looking grilles, all you have to do is remove the carpeting and you can paint the metal grilles whatever color you want.

http://server2047.virtualave.net/kromeco/00-Nov30/Cerwin-Vegas.jpg

:toilet:

catalin
08-16-2002, 09:34 PM
Pretty cool, but you should have placed the tweeter up higher.

munkeexxx
08-17-2002, 07:44 AM
thanx for the tip but whut did yoiu use to paint the grills?
spray paint?

shepherd79
08-17-2002, 05:16 PM
i used black gloss paint.

munkeexxx
08-18-2002, 11:35 AM
allright...this sounds cool...so i just rip off the carpet, pick up sum spray paint, and color away?

shepherd79
08-18-2002, 06:25 PM
i would sand a little, prime it first and than paint.
mine were rusty so i sanded, primed and painted.

ShawnS
03-28-2003, 07:51 PM
anybody done the back ones? i did the fronts and they look nice, but the back ones are plastic so i'm a little reluctant to paint them. any suggestions?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-29-2003, 02:17 AM
I think my fronts and backs are both plastic. I guess I will have to take them off and check. That looks pretty cool for a cheap mod.

shepherd79
03-29-2003, 07:49 PM
my front grills are metal, but my back grills are plastic.
i painted both of them black, and they look nice.

POS carb
04-01-2003, 06:40 PM
the back ones are ugly

danronian
04-02-2003, 08:31 PM
I am going to do this since the carpet on my grilles is really dirty making the whole front of the car look bad, I was going to just paint the whole speaker cover but this is a much better idea in my mind

87DXHatch
04-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by catalin
Pretty cool, but you should have placed the tweeter up higher.

Just curious, why do you say that? The way it looks like he has them, they're angled up, raising the sound stage... and on top of that they are very close to the woofers keeping phase problems pretty much in check.

Why do you think he should put them up higher if they are essentially accomplishing everything kickpods would do, and, from what I've seen, some top SQ competitors use kickpods with tweeters angled similarly to what he has?

:wave:

catalin
04-04-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch
Just curious, why do you say that? The way it looks like he has them, they're angled up, raising the sound stage... and on top of that they are very close to the woofers keeping phase problems pretty much in check.

Why do you think he should put them up higher if they are essentially accomplishing everything kickpods would do, and, from what I've seen, some top SQ competitors use kickpods with tweeters angled similarly to what he has?

:wave:

Yes that's true they do sound better if all speakers are kept together and pointed to the location of the listener.
What I meant is that the tweeters will most likely be blocked by the legs of the driver and the passenger.

87AccordsterLx
04-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Actually if you turn the cover around you will see a few little pieces of the grill folded back to hold it on... just bend them back and the metal part of the cover will come out. I used black semi-gloss spray paint and went over it with clear coat.

danronian
04-05-2003, 07:54 AM
I painted the front grills flat black, and ripped the cloth off of the black ones and since they are already black they look fine. The rears do look kind of strange w/o the fabric, but I am sure they will grow on me. Since both of those speakers were blown those speaker holes just act as bass ports for my ported sub box, now I dont have to open the back seat to get more bass, yay!