PDA

View Full Version : Don't start

MattsAccord
11-26-2005, 01:41 AM
I just finished up working on my car. Only thing is, it wont start cd player doesnt work and all warning lights door lights in the dash dont light up.

If you have any ideas please let me know. :cheers:

Mac
11-26-2005, 06:42 AM
What kind of work were you doing? Does anything work (headlights, doorlocks,hazards etc)?

You can check the battery and the main fuses in the under the hood relay/fuse panel. There is a 70 amp (#21) and a couple of 40 amp fuses. Not the normal plug in fuses. They have screws that hold them in place. If headlights and horn work check the 70 amp fuse.

MattsAccord
11-26-2005, 09:27 AM
I replaced both axels and put a new connecter O-ring on my alt. I went from an aluminum type o-ring to a copper-sytle one, it even has a better connection then the old one. My battery was dead before i fixed my problems but i jumped it and it worked fine. I would think that it might be by battery since ive been electrical promblems with my altrenator and it has been over charging the battery. But im my inside light turn on and headlights i thinks its probley got enough juice to atleast try to start it. When I turn it there is nothing.

Keep the ideas coming. Thanks for the previous ones.

Mac
11-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Did you check the 70 amp fuse?

MattsAccord
11-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah its good.

Deadhead
11-26-2005, 12:09 PM
when you were working on your car, did you have the battery disconnected?

YOu might have blown a fuse.... so check all of them.

MattsAccord
11-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah i had that battery disconnected, I also checked all fuses.

smufguy
11-26-2005, 12:21 PM
you replaced all the wires that came off the Alternator right? CHeck the wire on ur starter.

MattsAccord
11-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Thats the one that has been giving me all the problems. I had to put a new o-ring on it after i messed the other one up. Im not talking about the plug one but the wire on top of the alt. But i put a new ring on and its nice and tight.

MattsAccord
11-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Now I keep blowing the 70 amp fuse for the battery. HELP ME PLEASE

Mac
11-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Check the new terminal that you put on the alternator. Make sure that it is not touching the alternator. That's the wire from the 70 amp fuse. It has to be isolated from the alternator body.

MattsAccord
11-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Okay I feel dumb now, the wire was touching the body of the alternator.

Now i have a problem agian. So it was running GREAT battery light wasn't coming on or anything. I went to the car wash and when i left did a huge burnout and the battery light started coming everytime i hit like 2500 RPM. It was doing this before I fixed my alternator but it was about 3000 RPM.

It felt nice to drive my car agian, I want to do it agian please help. Everyone who has helped so far THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

86AccordLxi
11-27-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm assuming the belts are all tightened down...I know stupid...but still.

Alex

MattsAccord
11-27-2005, 10:57 PM
I know the belt it nice and tight. But I guess I can check and see if it to tight or not tight enough.

smufguy
11-28-2005, 05:19 AM
check the voltage at the battery terminals while the car is running. You have to put out atleast 13.5V (around there). Is the positive terminal on the alternator in good shape? mine corroded and came apart. i did not know and the battery light flickered once in a while and then started backfiring (after the cable broke off the terminal). Now i got a 4Guage battery wire tunning from the fuse box to the alternator.

Mac
11-28-2005, 05:25 PM
It was doing this before I fixed my alternator but it was about 3000 RPM.

Was the fix to the alternator changing the terminal? If so, it sounds like there is more to look at. From what you described it sounds like the voltage regulator is bad in the alternator. It seems to be putting out too much voltage. The voltage regulator is suppose to keep the voltage somewhat constant at different rpm's. Yours might be putting out higher voltage at higher rpm's.

You can check this with a voltmeter. Connect voltmeter to battery terminals and read the voltage at idle. Then bring up the rpm's and see if the voltage goes up alot. If it does the regulator is bad.

Be careful if this is the case, because too high of a voltage can do damage to bulbs, radio etc. A fuse will not protect against high voltage, just high current.

MattsAccord
11-28-2005, 06:05 PM
That the thing, I've taking it to get tested I think 2 times and it passes. I think its the regulator but when i take it off it passes at the parts store. If I was to take it down to autosone or something could they figure it out with there electrical check thing. It seems to only not work when its on the car.

I really appreciate the help guys, keep it coming.
Matt

Mac
11-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure what autozone does to check the alternator while it's on the car. But if they have a volt meter (which I image they should) they can check it the way I described.

MattsAccord
11-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Mac I really owe you one.

Mac
11-28-2005, 07:21 PM
First let's see if the regulator is bad. If it is you will have to change the alternator, but it sounds like you've done that a few times. Then hopefully you will back driving your car again.

MattsAccord
11-29-2005, 08:05 PM
I done looking at it,I talked with my machanic and hes going to take a look at it. If its the alternator I think I'm just going to buy a new one, dont have to worry with the reman. crap.