PDA

View Full Version : New speedo cable in; speedo clicking? Not accurate?

FyreDaug
11-28-2005, 10:27 AM
What exactly is going on? The cable broke in the tranny, the end that turns came off and the ends were all frayed, so I replaced the cable with the one from the parts car, and it works, the ends are good so I lubed up the cable and put it back. It works like it should, it rotates 1 way for backing up and the other for going forwards and its speed-related so no problems with the new cable.

However, the speedo itself isnt functioning right, as I back out of my garage to test it out I can hear it click, and when I drive forward it clicks alot and the speedo is really jumpy and its inaccurate.

Background:
While I was making my new overlays I was occasionally putting it in and testing it, checking out what it looks like. Then finally when I had it all completed, the speedo wouldnt work. The cable busted inside. So I drove around without a speedo for a bit, then I decided to try to fix the old one, by jamming the frayed ends in and seeing if it would spin. It would work for a couple seconds sometimes, then stop. But when I was testing it before with the overlay on it worked fine, and I havent changed anything (besides finishing the overlays for the tach/etc)

So whats the deal? My speedo couldnt be broken, because I can hook up a drill and spin the back of the speedo (as the cable would) and it doesnt click, it goes up to about 50kmh (speed of the drill).... .arg!

A20A1
11-28-2005, 10:57 AM
it might not be in all the way... did you put the clip back in place... also make sure you're not crimping the cable anywhere.

drill to the back of the speedo.... :(

FyreDaug
11-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Turns out the plsatic piece that turns the odo was broken, 2 places, I tried to frankenstein from my parts car, but no luck. Apprantely there are quite a few changes from 86-87. Damnit, auto wrecker here Icome