PDA

View Full Version : advice on what to do with a dead car

86DXdude
11-28-2005, 11:06 AM
So last week I was on my way to the shop for replacement of a tie rod and lower control arm when my 86 DX had a hiccup and stalled after taking off from a stop sign. I was still moving so I popped the clutch and the engine re-started but stalled a couple of seconds later. It wouldn't start again although the started would crank. I was really puzzled. So, I had the car towed to a friend's place and today I got word that two of my cylinders don't have compression and that it would be $1K to fix that.

So I'm asking you guys to help me figure this out. It's not like my timing belt broke, so I could not have banged anything to cause loss of pressure. The gaskets on the car have been seeping through a little but nothing major. And up until recently I'd have a hiccup here or there when going up a hill which I thought was possibly due to the distributor cap/rotor (which were changed last week) or spark plugs but nothing else with the engine.

Please help me guys. If the mechanic is just being lazy and trying to get me to get rid of the car instead of working on it, what should I ask them? Unfortunately, I don't have $$ to move on to another car and if it was going to cost me less than $1K I'd rather fix it. Thanks.

POS carb
11-28-2005, 12:16 PM
if your car just stalls and you all of a sudden don't ahve pressure in 2 cyl, that sounds like a timing belt to me!

or your crankshaft broke? I doubt that

SteveDX89
11-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Perhaps the head gasket blew between 2 cylinders. That would result in no compression as the cylinder's contents goes back and forth between them.

86DXdude
11-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Nope, the mechanic confirmed that the timing belt is fine. He said they just did a compression test (through the spark plug holes) and that there was no way of knowing what happened without taking the head/gasket/etc apart... since it is probably the piston rings that have wasted the sides around the pistons. He basically told me to look for a used engine if I really want to keep the car. But then it will be a good $400+ on the engine plus $1100 to put it in according to him. Any more suggestions? Anyone know a good place in CT area for used engines?

jman123
11-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Look for a shade tree mechanic, or a mechanic who does work on the side (most do)!
I found one who is actually is a Honda Dealer mechanic...he did my tranny swap for $400 + $300 for the tranny from jy.

If the body is fine and no other big issues, fix 'er up!

If you decide to get rid of it...there are lots of places that will take and tow your car for free - some are non-for-profits who will give you a receipt for tax deduction.

86DXdude
12-01-2005, 06:59 AM
if it were only that easy to find one. :sad2: I moved to CT in July and have not been able to find one yet. Anyone from Southern CT know one?

My other option would be to get rid of the car but there are plenty of good parts in it still. How many of you guys would be interested in parts from it? Give me a holler and I'll check on what it'd cost to send them. I even have decent Polk rear speakers and front tweater setup and a Sony CD player.

jman123
12-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Go to Craigslist.com and find a town close to you.
Look under services, automotive...lots of mechanics post their contact info.
You can also use it to post asking for a mechanic to contact you.

Its free classifieds, so if you decide to sell anything...that's a great place to do it...I've sold lots of stuff on my local one...all free listings!!!! Gotta love that!

gp02a0083
12-01-2005, 12:44 PM
there is a way to tell if the head gasket went , my father uses some kinda dye indicator and it reacts with the air/ fuel and it turns a certian color , dunno if theres a kit for it or he just knows what chemical it is but thats if its the head gasket , then again it gould be the rings or possable even the valves