PDA

View Full Version : Wierd P\S Leak

bucket_man
11-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Hey,
I got my car and realised after a while the powersteering fluid was a bit low. So i went and filled it up and it leaked realitvly quickly (1 or 2 weeks) back down to the same spot and seems to have stopped. Is this possible or am i just making things up please?
Also: Someone told me that powersteering fluid is really high pressure and can cut through skin when there is a pin sized leak. Is this true or is he talking shiznat?

Thanks

jlros75
11-29-2005, 08:51 AM
For personal experience I had a leak at the power steering pulley seal twice and it did kind of the same thing that you described. You have to check were is the fluid coming out to pinpoint the problem. Start the car and put a piece of carboard under the engine, if lucky you'll find the leak easy. If not you will have to put the car on jack stands and look for your leak.:sad2:

bucket_man
11-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Ok, thanks. i did notice that the powersteering drive belt was all oily when i was trying to fix the air-con.

azazel_18_2
11-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Sounds like the pump is leaking. BE SURE TO USE POWER STEERING FLUID FORMULATED FOR HONDA'S. I made the stupid mistake of thinking the dealership was just trying to make money off me. I put regular power steering fluid in it and it ate my rack and pinnion seals and my pump seals at 119,000 miles!! Boy was I pissed. Just make sure the power steering fluid plainly states for Honda use.

bucket_man
11-29-2005, 03:42 PM
shit.. i was told to just buy auto tranmission fluid from the servo. I've half filled it with that shit once, but chances are that half of that shit has already leaked out. Is the genuine honda stuff hard to get?
The people before me most probably used the wrong stuff... Im not sure.

POS carb
11-29-2005, 04:19 PM
I don't think it'll cut your skin, plus you shouldn't be working on it while the engine is running (only time there is pressure)

Check the lines, they run down to the cooler in front of the radiator then back to the tranny/speedo cable hookup. Other than that the rack can be leaking and you'll see oil drops hanging from the boots

azazel_18_2
11-30-2005, 01:14 PM
You can get the Honda Power Steering Fluid at Walmart or any other parts store. There will be regular power steering fluid then there will be some that says "Will work in Honda/acura." Using anything else will cause seal problems.

russiankid
11-30-2005, 07:44 PM
yep it sounds like the pump, Honda Power Steering fluid can be purchased at any Honda dealership, most likely wal-mart or any other store wont have them, because this is a Honda brand, an Acura dealership may have some, it isnt to expensive, but it surely improves your steering