PDA

View Full Version : Dampers (a.k.a. shocks) + What's Available

AZmike
11-30-2005, 11:00 AM
The damper’s main function is to stop the suspension from oscillating. They work in both the compression (bump) stroke and rebound (extension) stroke. Compression damping effectively adds to the springs rate, reducing how much the suspension compresses for a given bump. Higher compression settings make the ride noticeably rougher. Rebound damping dissipates the energy stored in the compressed spring, preventing the wheel from being pushed back so fast that the car continues to bounce after the bump.

Springs that are stiffer than stock require dampers that are stronger than stock. Switching the springs and leaving the old worn out dampers or simply replacing them with OEM equivalents will leave you with a bouncy, floaty ride. If you don’t have enough money for good shocks and springs and you want to improve how your car handles, just get quality dampers—they make a bigger difference. Just swapping springs will lower the car, but it will be so unsettled through anything but smooth, constant radius corners that you lose much of the handling benefit of the stiffer, shorter springs.

Shock v. Struts

Third generation Accords do not have struts. Strut suspension (MacPherson strut) uses only a lower control arm, a toe link (rear) or steering link (front), and the strut to locate and support the suspension. Our cars use upper control arms to locate the suspension and coilover shocks to support the car. The springs surround the shocks so it is a coilover configuration—coilover doesn’t mean threaded and adjustable.

Damper options for the third generation Accord:

Koni Specials
no longer made, but sometimes available used
Good for springs up to about 350 lb/in without revalving
Rebound adjustable; can be converted to external adjustable or rebuilt

Bilstien HD
Quality OEM replacements as purchased (not for use with stiffer springs without revalve)
Can be revalved with specified compression and rebound settings; instructions below
Non adjustable

Tokico
About 10% stiffer than stock
Many users with stiffer springs notice bounce, especially in the front

KYB GR-2
About 10% stiffer than stock according to KYB
Generally considered an OEM replacement

Everything else available is an OEM replacement.

Lowering much more than about 2” puts your shocks at the risk of being bottomed out frequently depending on the condition of your bumpstops. Shocks are designed to stop oscillation, not support the car. Bottoming them out can quickly destroy them. This damage is typically not covered under any warranty.

How to get Bilsteins revalved (from Jim):

If you purchase the shocks from www.shox.com, ask to speak to Darrell. Tell him you want Bilstein HD shocks for the 86-89 accord part numbers are B36-1135, B36-1136, and for the rears you'll need 2 B36-1089. Tell Darrell that you want them revalved by Bilstien and that you have the specs that Jack French at Bilstein needs. 100 for compression and 300 for rebound works well for H&R/Neuspeed. Stiffer springs willl probably work better with higher settings around 110 and 340. Factory Bilstein specs are 46 compression, 195 rebound. Speak with Jack French at Bilstein (1-800-537-1085) if you're unsure about what settings are likely to work well for you.

The price will be:
the cost of the shocks ~$370
the shipping to Bilstein
the revalve fee is $65 per shock $260
return shipping charges from Bilstein to you

If anyone already has the shocks or if they buy them off another vendor like eshocks.com you can send them to Bilstein yourself:
Krupp Bilstein of America
14102 Stowe Dr.
Poway, Ca 92064
Attn: Jack French

They will only work on your parts if you pay the revalve fee in advance or use a credit card. Turnaround time is about a month.

If you have anything to add or any questions post them below and I'll make changes as required.

smufguy
11-30-2005, 01:24 PM
also the KYB GR-2 shocks are available for the 86-88 accords. They are just like the Tokikos, they are only slightly stiffer than stocks and usually go well with Eibach 1" drop springs.

Right hand drive

Front: 341072
Rear: 341074

Left Hand Drive

Front: 341073
Rear: 341074

Lok
12-02-2005, 07:49 AM
KYB GR2 are 15% stiffer than stock, and realy good quality ( made in japan).
Many friends of me use them and they don't bounce at all ( with 35mm H&R springs) in crap Greek roads.
We had try and Bilstein-Eibach combination and is realy bad handling......
worst that stock at least in Greek roads. Also bilstein worn out very quickly...............the only good thing is that you can revalved them or serviced them to come back in original specs.

w261w261
12-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Mike, I have to disagree on your recommendations regarding revalved Bilsteins in combo with Eibach Pro-Kits (1" drop). I did install the Eibach/Bilstein 300/100 revalve, and my car still had some bounce, which was aggravating because of the money involved, even though it was close. I had another pair of Bilsteins, which I sent back to the factory and had Jack French revalve to 340/110. This I think is the ideal combo; the suspension compresses, and returns to even with no overbounce. There is no harshness either. To me, it's just right. I think this is the ideal Eibach 1"/Bilstein setup.

Also, Bilstein is now charging $65 each to revalve, not $55.

I do have the 300/100 Bilsteins sitting in my basement. I put them up for sale here, but no interest. Guess I'll put them on eBay. They're virtually brand new....I only had them on the car long enough to send off the other set to Bilstein for revalving.

Thanks for your work here.

Hal

AZmike
12-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've made a few revisions. I'll try to get in touch with KYB and get a definite answer.

AZmike
12-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Here's the entire response that I got from Troy Horn ([email protected]):

The GR-2 line is 10 to 15% firmer than oem product

cardoc33
12-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Very interesting. Just enough stiffer to feel a difference when replacing your tired old shocks. Nowhere near the performance levels we would like, thou.

L3G10N
09-10-2006, 05:13 PM
:rockon: Well it's true, we can now touch a better world for our cars!!! Just came back from a carshow and get out of there with a sponsor for my hatch. I'll be the first to get a custom suspension made for my car from this company.

I've spoke with 'em almost an hour telling 'em that into 86-89 accord, choice of good suspension was a hell. Told him I needed some great shock to be able to ride a coil-over on my hatch, being able drop as i wanted into show.

Well He told me they was able to do custom suspension for me from my OEM shock. I was like WTF? What will be the price of hell? Well, this is not the case. Will cost me a real decent price to get a full coil-over kit from the OEM suspension. Not just a damn sleeve over the shock. A REAL kit and i choose the preset of the shock myself. If they're not as good as i want? just go back and they will readjust the shock to a new preset into 48hours.

Ok, this is in Canada. Quebec. Montreal. They are willing to produce as much kit as I want. So, I asked him price for all of you. He told me the price will play around 150$CDN per shock. Shock will be custom and they are around 40% superior in damping.

Now, I am testing water with you all.

Here is the details about the shock.

About the Company:
They are the only hi-performance shock absorber manufacture in Canada to offer selective and custom damping pressures and is also the only manufacture to offer repairs for all brand names suspension manufactures in the market.

Due to the high demand of our customers for reinforced shock absorbers, the companie as engineered a unique technology that allows car owners and racing enthusiastic to adapt the desire damping pressure for his own car or race type.

As a manufacture of high performance shock absorbers since 1960 we have gain the know how from drivers in Europe, Spain, Latin America and now in Canada.

As for the choice of shock:

RANGE SR-40
• Sensi-road technology
• 40% superior damping
• Bi-tube system
• Double action

RANGE TR-60
• Semi-competition valving
• 60% superior damping
• Bi-tube system
• Double action

RANGE CR-80
• Racing valving
• 80% superior damping
• Bi-tube system
• Double action

CSA RANGE
Custom shock absorber
• Your choice of piston rod
• Lowering piston rod
• Your choice of damping
• Repairs of all brand names
• Choice of color
• Oil and gas change
• Manufacturing with your specs etc…

So here it is. Let me know what you are thinking.

Modo/Admin, Is This Thread in the right section? I wasn't sure if it was here or into the "To Sell" section.

carotman
09-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Well, that would be the correct section. However, can they make externaly adjustable shocks(damping and rebound)? It's great to have a nice selection of shocks but it sucks if you have to remove everything and send them back because it was a little too stiff or too smooth.

L3G10N
09-10-2006, 05:20 PM
for the moment, they do not to external adjustement, but it will come in a few weeks/months they told me.

smufguy
09-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Sounds very interesting. I would like to know more about this company and more details of their current products available and their reviews by current owners. Awsome on getting a sponsor and hopefully this would and could expand our aftermarket support in the years to come and possibly at affordable prices.

Hash_man_Se_i
09-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Very interesting... congrats on getting a sponsorship... but what company is this?. I'm going to keep my eye on this as I'm very interested to see the outcome.

AZmike
09-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Please keep us up to date. Statements like "40% superior damping" aren't very encouraging though.

Legend_master
09-11-2006, 12:10 PM
awsome find, this sounds good. I might pick up the kit for the rear.

MessyHonda
09-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Please keep us up to date. Statements like "40% superior damping" aren't very encouraging though.

hey its better than the tokicos that we can get online...tokicos are like 10-15% more stiff....40% would be good even with 2.25 inch drop springs.

guaynabo89
09-11-2006, 02:46 PM
sounds good great to see someone is opening doors for us.

If anyone is interested in another route Tein has a program where you send in your stock suspension and they make it into whatever you want. Supposed to be priced similar to their off the shelf items

Oldblueaccord
09-11-2006, 04:30 PM
If anyone is interested in another route Tein has a program where you send in your stock suspension and they make it into whatever you want. Supposed to be priced similar to their off the shelf items

That what I plan on doing I wish I could find a dealer around here to handle it is the problem.

L3G10N
09-11-2006, 04:39 PM

Well this is the same as me. Difference, is they are real close of me and i can be the reseller for all of you if you want some. I won't take a penny of this. You'll pay the exact price i'll get.

I'll post more info real soon.:rockon:

Oldblueaccord
09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Well this is the same as me. Difference, is they are real close of me and i can be the reseller for all of you if you want some. I won't take a penny of this. You'll pay the exact price i'll get.
I'll post more info real soon.:rockon:

Im interested in the spring rates they can offer etc more than anything. I have some numbers in my head based on other like cars like Acuras.

AZmike
09-12-2006, 11:20 AM
hey its better than the tokicos that we can get online...tokicos are like 10-15% more stiff....40% would be good even with 2.25 inch drop springs.

Ok, let's assume "40% superior damping" means 40% more damping than stock. Does that mean compresion or rebound damping? Low-speed or high-speed? Hopefully "40% superior damping" is just a general statement used for advertising and the numerical value is more for differentiating their products than anything else.

L3G10N
09-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Ok, let's assume "40% superior damping" means 40% more damping than stock. Does that mean compresion or rebound damping? Low-speed or high-speed? Hopefully "40% superior damping" is just a general statement used for advertising and the numerical value is more for differentiating their products than anything else.

40% more is for both compresion and rebound. I've sent all question directly to the guy who's responsible of my sponsor. More than 40% is for real racer. Not for street.

He started to work on my full body coil over kit AND he started producing a "sample" of the 40% kit for accord 86-89. Now I need someone to try it and give us comments.

I tought about carotman but i think his baby will sleep real soon....

L3G10N
09-13-2006, 08:08 PM
oh yeah, another point, We will have option to get 'em externaly adjustable but only for the damping. Door's not closed about rebound but for the moment, this is not an option for us.

Legend_master
09-13-2006, 08:13 PM
40% more is for both compresion and rebound. I've sent all question directly to the guy who's responsible of my sponsor. More than 40% is for real racer. Not for street.
He started to work on my full body coil over kit AND he started producing a "sample" of the 40% kit for accord 86-89. Now I need someone to try it and give us comments.
I tought about carotman but i think his baby will sleep real soon....

That is awesome man, I really need better rear suspension. I could test it out :eatarrow: . Seriously if he will sell it to me at cost I will be a "guinni (spelling) pig"

L3G10N
09-13-2006, 08:28 PM
as for now, is producing a FULL kit, i mean 4 shock since our big problem was the front. The kit will be mine soon to try. I need to bring it back after to tell him impression and comments to perfect the shock. He want to produce the best he can. But as I told, my car isn't running. So someone else need to try it out for me. And not just the rear. And i Need someone I can trust since the kit need to come back after and he need constant feedback to correct the kit.

L3G10N
09-13-2006, 08:29 PM
as for the production, we will do it by group. More we will be in one shot, less they will cost us!

EricW
09-13-2006, 08:47 PM
I hope this turns out since I love to have a set of externally adjustable shocks. Otherwise i may just have to send my konis in like guaynabo89 did.

Legend_master
09-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Well I would be willing to try out the whole kit (I will do all the installation and everything involved in tuning), but we would have to figure something out for the shipping (maybe split it down the middle or something, I dont know). I understand the hesitation to send them to someone you dont know, but I would be willing to work it to somehow. I just really want this to get going and I want to help in any way I can. Also will they be ride height adjustable or not?

L3G10N
09-14-2006, 05:30 PM
the kit wont be ride height adjustable

Oldblueaccord
09-14-2006, 05:47 PM
I might be interested as well. My cars stock suspension more or less.

The shipping state side might be a problem back and forth.

PM if you need me. Ill need more details about the shop and all which I dont mind keeping private.

Edit: Ill be in Upstate New York first week in October

L3G10N
09-14-2006, 05:57 PM
I'll speak with 'em to see what's possible about shipping and maybe get more than one kit to try.

Nothing is private, ask what you want and i'll answer with pleasure.

MessyHonda
09-14-2006, 06:20 PM
i would test it but i would have to take it off to ship it back so they can check what went right or wrong.....well first of all i would like to thank you since you are representing our old school accords....why cant you try them? you got a b20 right?

L3G10N
09-14-2006, 06:28 PM
i can't try 'em myself simply because the car still not running. I won't put the stock B20A in. The engine won't be ready before late winter i guess. I still have to convert the brakes for SEi and need to do the interior. But for this last part, i am waiting for the second sponsor(sonXplus/Pioneer). They offered me something but i am waiting the official paper. So I won't put the interior back untill i know what will happend with the audio.

L3G10N
09-14-2006, 06:29 PM
oh and another point, winter is knocking at our door. My car won't EVER ride in snow again.

L3G10N
09-19-2006, 07:13 AM
As I told you allz, i was fowarding all your questions. So here's all answers(this is a copy/paste from the email i just received)

Carotman:
For 2007 we will offer external adjustable shocks (damping only).

Smufguy & Hash man sei:
Selex manufactures all type of performance shock absorbers
Selex could drop suspensions
Selex could manufacture custom shock absorbers
Selex could calibrate and increase damping forces (damping and rebound) has per customers demand.
Selex could use customers shock absorbers and transform them with the damping and drop they want, including coilovers
Selex will repair all brand names companies coil over and standard shocks...replacing them by Selex technology.
Selex manufactures one shock absorber for each driver.
In another words if we do not have stock we could manufacture all types of shocks with customers old units.
Selex as been manufacturing shock absorbers since 1997 using a technology from Europe since 1960. Today we are the only company in Canada capable of offering services and manufacturing know how to our customers and drivers.

AZmike:
This range of damping SR40 allows the setting of the sporting springs of maximum 30mm and the shocks are equipped with 40% superior damping from OEM shock absorbers...the SR40 equipped with openable system that allows repairs and damping adjustments.For lowered springs exceeded 30mm you must use the TR60 range.
1. SENSI-ROAD TECHNOLOGY
2. 40% SUPERIOR DAMPING FROM OEM
3. BI-TUBE SYSTEM
4. DOUBLE ACTION SYSTEM
5. OPENABLE & REBUILDABLE

Legend Master:
Thanks for your comments.

MessyHonda:
Yes teh SELEX Range SR40 (40% ) is good for a 2.25 inch drop springs and remember that we could also drop from the piston rods....

Guaynabo89:
Thanks for your comments

Oldblueaccord:
For the year 2007 we will offer complete range of SELEX springs from 40kg/cm to 200kg/cm. This are coilover kits springs.

I will like to thank all the members that have shown interest in our products, look forward in developing some shock absorbers as per your request. I will like also to thank Dany Soucy for the support and the extraordinary professionalisms.

I invite all those people that could attend to the SCP (sport compact performance show) in Montreal 13/14/15 October 2006 .....Selex Tuning will be exposing our product and will be glad to answer more questions.

Best Regards and good luck on your projects.

Benito Abile
www.selextuning.com
t:514-322-3141

Well, feel free to ask anytime. I am in constant contact with him. As you can see, they will really produce a shock for us :rockon:

Legend_master
09-19-2006, 09:50 AM
As I told you allz, i was fowarding all your questions. So here's all answers(this is a copy/paste from the email i just received)
Carotman:
For 2007 we will offer external adjustable shocks (damping only).
Smufguy & Hash man sei:
Selex manufactures all type of performance shock absorbers
Selex could drop suspensions
Selex could manufacture custom shock absorbers
Selex could calibrate and increase damping forces (damping and rebound) has per customers demand.
Selex could use customers shock absorbers and transform them with the damping and drop they want, including coilovers
Selex will repair all brand names companies coil over and standard shocks...replacing them by Selex technology.
Selex manufactures one shock absorber for each driver.
In another words if we do not have stock we could manufacture all types of shocks with customers old units.
Selex as been manufacturing shock absorbers since 1997 using a technology from Europe since 1960. Today we are the only company in Canada capable of offering services and manufacturing know how to our customers and drivers.
AZmike:
This range of damping SR40 allows the setting of the sporting springs of maximum 30mm and the shocks are equipped with 40% superior damping from OEM shock absorbers...the SR40 equipped with openable system that allows repairs and damping adjustments.For lowered springs exceeded 30mm you must use the TR60 range.
1. SENSI-ROAD TECHNOLOGY
2. 40% SUPERIOR DAMPING FROM OEM
3. BI-TUBE SYSTEM
4. DOUBLE ACTION SYSTEM
5. OPENABLE & REBUILDABLE
Legend Master:
Thanks for your comments.
MessyHonda:
Yes teh SELEX Range SR40 (40% ) is good for a 2.25 inch drop springs and remember that we could also drop from the piston rods....
Guaynabo89:
Thanks for your comments
Oldblueaccord:
For the year 2007 we will offer complete range of SELEX springs from 40kg/cm to 200kg/cm. This are coilover kits springs.
I will like to thank all the members that have shown interest in our products, look forward in developing some shock absorbers as per your request. I will like also to thank Dany Soucy for the support and the extraordinary professionalisms.
I invite all those people that could attend to the SCP (sport compact performance show) in Montreal 13/14/15 October 2006 .....Selex Tuning will be exposing our product and will be glad to answer more questions.
Best Regards and good luck on your projects.
Benito Abile
www.selextuning.com
t:514-322-3141
Well, feel free to ask anytime. I am in constant contact with him. As you can see, they will really produce a shock for us :rockon:

Sounds like they know there stuff, I look forward to seeing what will happend with this.

EX-ileAccord
09-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Whats the total price for the kit? I might give it a try and im in canada so shipping might not be bad

L3G10N
09-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Price of the shock. Remeber, those price are in canadian dollars.

Type SR40 = $150.00/pcs with desired drop included and openable systems
Type TR60 = $175.00/pcs with.....
Type CR80 = $195.00/pcs with....

As for the full bodycoilover kit. Price will come later cause he want to work on the kit for the Hyundai Accent 2003 of my girlfriend....... well... my ex....... anyway

Legend_master
09-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Price of the shock. Remeber, those price are in canadian dollars.
Type SR40 = $150.00/pcs with desired drop included and openable systems
Type TR60 = $175.00/pcs with.....
Type CR80 = $195.00/pcs with....
As for the full bodycoilover kit. Price will come later cause he want to work on the kit for the Hyundai Accent 2003 of my girlfriend....... well... my ex....... anyway

Ok I am a little lost with the price is that for the whole kti or just the front? Also what is PCS and is that canadian prices.

L3G10N
09-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Price is in CDN money for sure. And by PCS, he means each shock.

Legend_master
09-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Price is in CDN money for sure. And by PCS, he means each shock.

So does that mean I could just buy the rears or do I have to buy the whole kit. Would it make it cheaper if I sent him one of my old struts and had him redo that. I have springs, I just need stiffer struts for the rear.

L3G10N
09-21-2006, 10:54 AM
yes u can buy the rear only. The point is that we want to have something for the front more than the rear. As for sending the old unit, i'll ask him. I am pretty sure you can get a discount but it won't be real big since old unit can be found in any junkyard for almost nothing.

As for the price, this is for only one set. We will have a better discount if we buy more in one shot. as a group buy.

BITESIZE
09-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Holy shit, I'm down for a set!

Legend_master
09-21-2006, 10:56 AM
yes u can buy the rear only. The point is that we want to have something for the front more than the rear. As for sending the old unit, i'll ask him. I am pretty sure you can get a discount but it won't be real big since old unit can be found in any junkyard for almost nothing.
As for the price, this is for only one set. We will have a better discount if we buy more in one shot. as a group buy.

Ok that all sounds great, I believe a group buy woudl be the best way to get this going. I am sure there are people out there looking to upgrade and the price is pretty reasonable.

MessyHonda
09-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Ok that all sounds great, I believe a group buy woudl be the best way to get this going. I am sure there are people out there looking to upgrade and the price is pretty reasonable.

150cnd=134.12uds so that is around 550+ shipping for the whole set...with that much i can buy 2 sets of tokicos for my 2 accords.

BITESIZE
09-21-2006, 11:03 AM
150cnd=134.12uds so that is around 550+ shipping for the whole set...with that much i can buy 2 sets of tokicos for my 2 accords.

Tokicos aren't the greatest buddy.:thumbdn:

MessyHonda
09-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Tokicos aren't the greatest buddy.:thumbdn:

best we can get tho... unless you mod some other type like civic shocks

gfrg88
09-22-2006, 05:56 AM

yeah but its just an OEM replacement.....id love to get a whole set of those, i think its a reasonable offer :thumbup:

Legend_master
09-22-2006, 06:44 AM

That is why this thread was made. So what point are you trying to get across? We are saying that the tokicos are cheap, because they are not very good for performance. That is why you pay 150 a strut for these.

L3G10N
09-22-2006, 04:20 PM
we can talk around 135$us each! But thos shock wont EVER make your car bouncy! With those, you'll be able to drop your car 2.25" and keep the car stiff as hell! The shock is not like you want? you can make em adjusted for real cheap! Even almost nothing! And things are done in 24hours! What do you want better than this?

And 135$us is the price without a group buy! Remember this! I talk with 'em and they are ready to start the groupbuy for a group of 10!

carotman
09-23-2006, 07:39 AM
There are nice developpements made on this thread so far. Legion we need to talk :D

L3G10N
09-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Some others details.

1 Year warranty if used on road.
No warranty if used for race BUT Selex will repair 'em for real cheap.

Now about the external rebound adjustment.
What all brand don't tell you is when you got a shock with external rebound adjustment, you are only playing between 5 an 10kg of pression in the rebound when you adjust the compression. That's why Selex won't produce external rebound adjustment. At least, if you really don't want your rebound, they can adjust it if you ask for.

L3G10N
09-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Oh, one other point, if you want to buy some, i am your reseller now :)

mkymonkey
09-26-2006, 06:00 PM
so its 135 a shock? meaning 540 for a full set of four?

BITESIZE
09-26-2006, 06:02 PM
so its 135 a shock? meaning 540 for a full set of four?

I'd have to say a big ol':thumbdn: to $540 a set. Most of our 3geez aren't even worth that.:rant:

Legend_master
09-26-2006, 06:09 PM
I'd have to say a big ol':thumbdn: to $540 a set. Most of our 3geez aren't even worth that.:rant:

I am not saying :thumbdn: untill I see the performance gains from this. I mean people drop all kind of money into old car not even worth that amount. If we want aftermarket stuff, we should be happy with a $540 performance suspension kit (check out the price of performance shocks and springs for most other cars). Ok a question I have about the setup, because I just want to clarify. The shocks come with springs right? if so, can we change out those springs with any spring we want?

L3G10N
09-26-2006, 06:12 PM
shock is not coming with coil. This is ONLY for a full body coil over kit.

As for the price, this price is if you buy it OUTSIDE of a group buy.

Best thing is to plan a group buy of 10

L3G10N
09-28-2006, 12:52 PM
do I write this bad???

We are talking about a set of STRUT. Same as if you bought a Tokico, or a GR2 but WITHOUT bounce.

For the coil over kit, this will be more expensive and won't be produce until next year.

Legend_master
09-28-2006, 12:55 PM
do I write this bad???
We are talking about a set of STRUT. Same as if you bought a Tokico, or a GR2 but WITHOUT bounce.
For the coil over kit, this will be more expensive and won't be produce until next year.

The problem is that somewhere in the begining of the thread it was stated that they will come with springs, but they are not ride height adjustable. You should edit the first post to say that they are just performance struts and nothing else.

L3G10N
09-28-2006, 12:59 PM
In no post i wrote that. I wrote the price and it was wrote "with desired drop" this is for the Rod. To prevent bottoming the shock.

L3G10N
10-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Well it's finally true! Selex got the first set produced!!!
Suspension Accord 86-89 40%
I'll get 'em this friday and Carotman will try 'em! :rockon:

frantik
10-10-2006, 08:00 PM
^ cool :thumbup:

possibly interested in a rear set, though not till after the 1st of the year :\

Legend_master
10-12-2006, 04:50 AM
awsome man keep us up to date :rockon:

L3G10N
10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
well how much would it be if we start a group buy? i mean if its worth it im sure in. and just to make sure...this is what you mean right?

http://www.parts4vws.com/images/parts/hr29865-4.jpg

well my bad, yes you can get a set of full coil-over kit too. Not just simple shock.:rockon:

Oldblueaccord
10-13-2006, 06:29 PM
well my bad, yes you can get a set of full coil-over kit too. Not just simple shock.:rockon:

Yeah be kinda hard to design a shock without the spring with it in my mind anyway. Looks likes its coming along keep us posted. I'd be interested if they can handle spring rates like 600 frnt 400 rear in that area.

L3G10N
10-13-2006, 06:33 PM
well, as i said, they DON'T sell springs. The ONLY spring they sell is the spring for a full coil-over kit. and they sell it AS A KIT, not separated.

carotman
10-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Hmmm. I want a full coilover set :p

Jasonf860
10-13-2006, 07:01 PM
I saw prices for just the strut but I didn't see prices on the full coilovers. these will basically be a matched set with the damping rate matched to the springs correct? i was going to replace my Tokico's in the spring w/another set and change springs to something different like H&R's but a matched set would be a better option if the price isn't outrageous!

L3G10N
10-13-2006, 07:05 PM
well, you're right, and price for the coil-over set won't see light too soon too. We will try the 40% first. in fact, Carotman will for me. AFTER this, when all test will be done, he will produce the coil-over set.

Jasonf860
10-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Ok, one last question. Say I give them the specs on the springs i want to use, based on what I've read, seems they can match the valving and dampning to my choice in spring, essentially making it a matched set. Sound about right?

Oldblueaccord
10-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Ok, one last question. Say I give them the specs on the springs i want to use, based on what I've read, seems they can match the valving and dampning to my choice in spring, essentially making it a matched set. Sound about right?

Thats what i would think is the way it works but I dunno really whats this is about still. I mean most companies use eibach springs and just paint or repowder coat them. This places been in business for 20 years doing suspension but they dont mess with springs ???? I m just not understanding.
And this whole 40% number wth is that. I mean Im eating a Reeses candy bar thats 30% bigger but they been saying that since I was a kid and the candy bar aint 13" long or anything. to much marketing bliz and no hard numbers for my taste. Good Luck.

L3G10N
10-15-2006, 03:35 AM
they now have a new website

http://www.selextuning.com

smufguy
01-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Time to clean this up or get rid of it. I never could get a straight answer about whats available.
wp

From what I know, only the following are available still. As far as the quantity available, thats something that will vary upon vendors. the following exert is from Shox.com, place where i got my konis. These guys are usually good about updating their site, worth a shot to call them.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2640/shoxye7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

87DXACCORD
01-31-2009, 07:13 AM
okay from what ive been reading the 3rd gen accord has shocks not struts? Or could it go both ways? i work at a parts store and i show struts in the computer front and rear, but I i also show shocks (gr2 kyb), so im kinda confused here. i think i need new ones my car floats like a feather in the wind at highway speeds? any thoughts?

2drSE-i
01-31-2009, 07:22 AM
people call them struts and shocks. The point the author of this thread makes is that struts are really only in Macpherson Strut vehicles. If they list struts for us, they mean shocks.

87DXACCORD
01-31-2009, 09:17 AM
ok i understand now thanks...

phillie
04-03-2009, 09:43 AM
So whatever happen with this selex company. Did you guys get a group buy together?

boost addict
04-12-2009, 09:13 PM
So whatever happen with this selex company. Did you guys get a group buy together?

I'm wondering the same thing, seems the discussion just sort of died off.

1987AccordLx-i
01-07-2010, 11:12 PM
can the KYB GR-2's be re valved?

mykwikcoupe
01-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I'm wondering the same thing, seems the discussion just sort of died off.

no their wasnt any interest in it so I dropped it. If you do want to order something they will make it for you. The savings from the group buy was minimal at best anyways. I want to say it was 20-50 off per set of 4. Not really worth the hasle or dealing with 20 members to save 50 bucks. They have great customer service and would recommend that if someone was interested call them on the phone and talk to someone.

To my knowledge the KYB are not revalvable. I dont remember ever reading a thread that says they can be. I would think a email to the customer service rep would be best. Id stay away from dealers unless they are a direct company.

hammer3rd
11-22-2011, 06:24 PM
They are actually coil overs. Just not adjustable.

Gemini2003
04-30-2014, 03:13 PM
It's been a few years to say the least. Is the information contained on the first pages of this thread still accurate? looking into properly lowering my car project in the near.

Legend_master
04-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Koni shocks are near impossible to find (unless purchased second hand)
Bilstien shocks are vary rare (can still be revalved)
Tokico are becoming rare (not sure if they are in production)
Kyb shocks are hit or miss (and suck)

Those are all the options for bolt in stock height struts that are stiffer then stock.

Pretty sure Gabriel, and Monroe are still make crappy OE replacement available.

AccordB20A
05-01-2014, 01:48 AM
pretty much sums it up. my bilsteins were new so i guess they are new old stock. but for some reason they didnt come with a pair of rears so i have the konis in the rear. i can get them rebuilt over here which is awesome.

With the bilsteins i believe they can "make some to fit" but if will cost you dollars

JuiceRib
03-12-2015, 01:49 AM
So I just spend a long time getting excited, and un-excited about this. Lol. Basically if i want to drop my car 2" I will have to spend more than $700 to make it a smooth, stiff, non-overly-bouncey ride?
I've had my 86hatch since 2010, Just now feeling comfortable enough with it to throw some $$$$ into it. Still old stock bertha as for now.

niles
03-12-2015, 01:01 PM
I bought Megan Racing coilovers and KYB GR2 shocks, and my ride feels way better than the original shocks and springs.

It cost me less than $300. I also did a write up on it.

I am selling a lowering kit (no shocks) in the trading post

noidea24
02-24-2018, 10:53 PM
https://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/faqs/what-is-the-difference-between-the-kyb-gr-2-and-the-excel-g-products/

So according to this the kyb Excel G's are the same thing as the old gr2's. I got my local auto parts store to price match and got a pair for the rears at $60 a piece. Not terrible. I'll be picking them up Wednesday.

Oldblueaccord
06-23-2020, 06:05 PM
Trying to updates this:

Ksport still seems to be the only company that makes direct fit adjustable coil overs for our car.

https://ksportusa.com/product/honda-accord-kontrol-pro-coilovers-chd240-kp/

https://ksportusa.com/product/honda-accord-asphalt-rally-spec-ar-coilovers-chd240-ar/

https://ksportusa.com/product/honda-accord-version-rr-road-race-coilovers-chd240-rr/

https://ksportusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/ksport-version-rr-racing-coilovers-aluminum-no-camber.jpg

Yellow speed racing.

https://yellowspeedracingusa.com/collections/dynamic-pro-sport-coilovers/products/copy-of-dynamic-pro-sport-coilovers-2015-2019-subaru-wrx-sti

yeah the pictures wrong for our car and the link says Subaru but they list the years for our car. Be worth a call to them. Made in Taiwan.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1750/2425/products/40751267_1933711240264887_5818954102167568384_o_d0 [email protected]?v=1551932851

From this thread here Progress Tech 92-2000 civics should work with modifications.
https://www.3geez.com/forum/suspension-wheels-tires-brakes/141137-progress-cs2-coil-overs-86-lxi.html

I am not sure where the heights come in at compared to stock but I would figure one inch lower just to start with. about 700$ They do list different spring rates which is nice.

https://www.progressauto.com/product/77.1003-92-00-civic-94-01-integra-series-ii-coil-over-kit

Dr_Snooz
06-23-2020, 07:10 PM
And they're not that hideous orange and black color scheme that the KSports use. Nice find!

stat1K
06-24-2020, 02:38 PM
And they're not that hideous orange and black color scheme that the KSports use. Nice find!

damn i bet you hate Halloween too huh?

Dr_Snooz
06-24-2020, 08:46 PM
LOL. The colors are okay, I guess. But they tend to clash with every other color scheme but black and orange. Put that under your car and it's going to draw attention to itself. Unless you paint over it first. Why didn't they choose something more neutral?

Oldblueaccord
10-27-2020, 12:29 PM
https://www.3geez.com/forum/suspension-wheels-tires-brakes/111197-niles-coilover-thread.html

This was a good informative thread. Not sure this stuff is available anymore.

ShiRen
10-27-2020, 12:53 PM
I would recommend against it, I just used some for my 4g civic springs in the rear, the coilover sleeves do not fit the struts well. There are pointy set screws that clamp the strut body at the bottom of the sleeves and you can't tighten them if you put them down below the seat, so I used one of the nuts to set the sleeve on the seat, the nut can't go passed the set screws. Then they use o rings to center the sleeve of the strut body. Man I did not think about using Eibach springs though, I might have to go to that if cut stock rears are too soft.

For the front my civic springs are spot on and they do not need sleeves and you get the benefit of a progressive spring. Stock top hats have not been an issue. The springs I am using are Skunk2 519-05-1650.

If you want full body coilovers they still make cheap ones for these cars YSP coils (https://www.carid.com/yellow-speed-racing/2-4-x-2-4-dynamic-pro-sport-front-and-rear-lowering-coilover-kit-mpn-ys01-hd-dps001-1.html?singleid=2409782602&url=6555696) though I know you guys were picking up ksports for that much a couple years ago. I haven't actually heard anything negative about YSR either.

Oldblueaccord
10-27-2020, 12:57 PM
Thanks ill add YSP to the list.

ShiRen
10-27-2020, 01:07 PM
There is also D2 racing coils, which I think are a subsidiary of Buddy Club, but they are more expensive and no better than ksports from what Ive seen.

Oldblueaccord
10-27-2020, 01:10 PM
yeah I just need to redo this whole thread and get rid of the shill posters in the middle. The silex deal was a bust.

ShiRen
10-27-2020, 01:45 PM
I noticed back in July m_alonzo920 on Instagram got Koni yellows for all 4 wheels with progressive Eibachs up front. I'm going to try to see what he used, supposedly Ground Control hooked him up. I assume he is in the fb group too, but I won't touch that site with a 10' pole.

As his car sits

Oldblueaccord
10-27-2020, 03:44 PM
I tried Ground control 2 times in less than a years time... once they said "we can try" the second time they just plain hung up on me. Im not saying there not a product out there for our car made by them just kinda hard to purchase it when they plain hang up on you, and yes I tried E mail several times.

ShiRen
10-28-2020, 04:00 AM
Thats sad honestly. I'm not saying you have to go through GC but Konis are still available somehow. I'm wondering if they where for a civic

Oldblueaccord
10-28-2020, 12:17 PM
Oh I got one way way sadder then that. AMR suspension.

Spent more than a year with that joker. Sent him and entire strut spring setup (4) front and rear and he just about had me for 1500$. Flashed a picture of the so called finished product....and did his yearly disappearing act. Only reason he didnt get me on the money is his trashy web site the visa part doesnt work.

Between him and clutchnet I swore off West coast vendors. I had some kinda parts fiasco with an International parts place in Cali at the same time took 8 months to get that fixed up. Over it.

If I cant physically drive to a vendor or shop I dont used them. guess I rather get fucked in person than long distance.

ShiRen
10-30-2020, 01:03 PM
He did get back to me, he is converted to EF suspension. I guess that is a decent route to go, but its a little too low if you want performance, unfortunately you can't adjust the rear roll center to drop the car as low as JTCC Civics. I don't know if he is using washers on the rear lower strut mount either, he is running Eibach rear springs and I am assuming Skunk2 front springs like me. So EF/EG/EK/Integra struts are an option, but what do you do about the 2 stud top hats? I hope nobody is drilling through their strut towers... I know I wouldn't want my strut to go through the hood.

I also asked a Japanese guy what suspension he is running, but I might just be flexing my Nipponese skills

Oldblueaccord
10-30-2020, 01:10 PM
K sports top hats fit really well front and rear. I was impressed with that. I dont know if they would sell them alone or not.

its hard for me to quantify whats the best setup since I know 95% of the people "just want there car lowered" where as I want " a car that handles better". I dont believe those two things necessarily go together.

ShiRen
10-30-2020, 02:03 PM
I would really like to know how the YSRs hold up to the Ksports, but I would rather just buy a reputable brand from the get go. Not many people are on ksports either though and you haven't had the best luck. I kind of expect a rougher ride as long as it doesn't upset the steering its ok.

Oldblueaccord
11-01-2020, 08:38 AM
I would guess all these sub 1500$ coilovers are about the same. There all made in Taiwan probably all in the same factory but definitely the same design and adjustment. The 36 way adjustment is a marketing gimmick. Yeah they adjust something but what and repeatability are the question.

I also would guess there more or less "one size fits all" since most of those car you mention are the same suspension design,60/40 weight balance, and pretty close over all weight. I ferret ed this out with K sport when there not interested in re valving my rear shocks,just send me another one. Thats not a fix for anything.

When I called Motion they told me send me your set up and we will make you something,re valving is on them. That tells me its not a one size fits all set up with them but obviously you pay for it up front.

ShiRen
11-02-2020, 06:00 AM
The only adjustable shocks I have ever had were QA1 single adjustables, which did not have very many clicks, but the rebound setting was pretty pronounced. The coilovers for this car are all only rebound adjustable, how precise the clicks are I have no idea. Whenever I set up my brothers Koni yellows in his Miata I could get about 3 turns out of 3 shocks, but only 2.5 out of one of them... I assume if I just set them in the middle they'll be pretty close, and his car feels great on the stock springs. I would assume these coilovers would be valved a little too light since their default springs are a tad too light, 600/400 would be ok if you had the car stripped down to 2100lbs or less with you in it, but its not extremely critical, still I would hope the valving would work for a car that would be sitting on 600/400 springs and that setting would be in the middle, a good coilover would probably be suitable for at least 750/500lb springs, which is more in this cars range stock. The only thing you can really do is buy them, put your preferred springs in them, and then go over some bumps and turn the knob until the car doesn't continue to bounce when you level out to flat ground, all the bump tuning you have is with your springs.

The absolute best coilovers you could buy for this car are https://shop-fortune-auto.com/collections/510-series-coilovers/products/honda-civic-ef-1987-1991-510-series-coilovers but as you can see, they are for an EF. You would almost have to buy Ksports or YSRs and swap the top hats on them, it would be absolutely insane to buy these nice coilovers and then cut your strut towers. These are probably the only coilover that can be upgraded to dual adjustable to dial in the bump setting, so you should really be able to run a more aggressive, or more appropriate spring.