PDA

View Full Version : Engine miss on carbed 89

jary
12-01-2005, 09:33 AM
I have a miss that I have not figured out yet that some of you may already know what the problem is. Every so often maybe 5-7 min.I here a click that seems to be comming from under the passenger side dashboard (may be ECU, not sure if ECU is in passenger floorboard like it is on my 4th gen) that sounds like a relay being turned on, as soon as I hear the click the car starts missing If i am in gear driving I can feel the lose of power , if I am idiling I have to put the tranny in nuteral and rev the motor to keep the car running. This will last for about 30 seceonds or so then it clears up then in about 5 minutes it will do the same thing again. Any ideals?

Kabuki
12-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I have a miss that I have not figured out yet that some of you may already know what the problem is. Every so often maybe 5-7 min.I here a click that seems to be comming from under the passenger side dashboard (may be ECU, not sure if ECU is in passenger floorboard like it is on my 4th gen) that sounds like a relay being turned on, as soon as I hear the click the car starts missing If i am in gear driving I can feel the lose of power , if I am idiling I have to put the tranny in nuteral and rev the motor to keep the car running. This will last for about 30 seceonds or so then it clears up then in about 5 minutes it will do the same thing again. Any ideals?

Sounds like one of a couple of things. Maybe the relay that powers the idle control solenoid? May also be random engagement of A/C compressor, without the idle boost? I'll check with the techs and see what they think. You'll need to have someone help you find the source of the noise when it's happening. That'll be the quickest way to narrow it down.

FyreDaug
12-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Well not much insight here, but it wont be an ecu problem, carbs dont have em

TheWatcher
12-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Well not much insight here, but it wont be an ecu problem, carbs dont have em
Agreed, not the ECU. But carbs do have an ECU under the driver's seat, it's just not the really sophisticated ECU that the EFI Accords have (it doesn't spit out codes).

I'm not an engine guy, but the minute I hear about missing, I think about the distributor and related items.

Peace.

FyreDaug
12-01-2005, 03:50 PM
When it misses can you see any difference in exhaust color? Or amount? Maybe its not so much missing as it is dumping too much fuel and making it run funny. I dont really know, but its somewhat possible...