PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein alternator guts?

FyreDaug
12-01-2005, 03:02 PM
There was about this before, and there were a couple threads I saw while looking for an answer, but not entirely giving me a final point, and that being whether or not the guts out of a different car (or gen accord) will work to get re-wound inside my 3g casing. I saw things about fabricating a 4g alt to work, but its damn cold out and I dont have time to dick around with the car much right now, so im considering getting an alt from a junker and getting an alt shop to rebuild it in my casing.

Alt jobs are a bitch on these cars, and I wont be able to drop the axle, so again im gonna have to do it from the top.

The alt is starting to go, and I think its the root of most of my problems (ignition and what not) so any ideas? I need more than 80A output I would say. Unless I could just get a high output one on ebay, but I donno if I trust em. They could just be OEM ones claiming to be higher output. My carputer system itself isnt very big, but at max volume off both amps AND the computer Im drawing close to 50A. And I wanna upgrade the sub amp soon, but thats gonna be impossible when im running this alt at near max.

conozo
12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
This will help your new alternator when you get one. Take your alternators amp rating times it by 40%, and this is an estimate of how much reserve you have for your sound system.
Example
alternator rated at 90amps
90 amps X 40% = 36 amps left for sound system
if your systems takes more than %40 percent i would recommend a capacitor to save your new alternator from dying when you get one.

I also wanted to ask if your hard drive ever gets frozen and doesnt work when its below freezing and what kind/how old is it. I have a desktop western digital in my car, and it seems to be working fine but it hasnt really been tested in freezing weather.

FyreDaug
12-01-2005, 05:58 PM
The WD's suck, having problems with them. Currently its 2x200, one is a WD the other is a maxtor.

I would recommend maxtor/seagate. Seagate has real good shock protection too./ Its like 10G's or something before it'll fuck up.

What you are saying is that with 90A I have an EXTRA 36A on top of that? Hows that work? It can only put out so much...

Either way, needing an alt.

conozo
12-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Sorry im not posting and answer about your origional question.

So our alternators are 65 amps. To see what you can use for your system you take %40 of the total 65 amps. So we have 26 amps for a sound system, carputer, anything you add yourself. The the rest 39 amps is for the car to function.
So if you have a system thats near or over 26 amps you need a capacitor so you wont blow your alternator.

I agree WD arent good, but its what i had and so i just slapped it in. But it appears to be a good one, because ive been using it for 4 months now with my hard suspension and it hasnt messed up or even had an error on it. But yea i would also recomend a seagate especially since they also have a 5 year warranty.

FyreDaug
12-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Im definately running more than 26A for the system. I dont believe in capacitors anyways, especially since the max from rms only goes up by 300W, cap wont help much. Itll just draw off the battery when the alt cant supply it.

Caps a joke.

Anyways, back to the question, what alternator guts can work? I hope to get this done monday, so help now would help thanks

Xulfiqar
12-03-2005, 04:52 AM
I have toyota alternator guts in my 3gee casing, it was rated at 75 or 80 amps I think, took me 1 hour including installation.

FyreDaug
12-03-2005, 11:36 AM
That doesnt help me much, where did you get it from? What car? Carb/Efi?

blahblahblah
12-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Read thu this.....
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=46733&highlight=alternator
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=21280&highlight=alt
this is the good one (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=34328&page=3&highlight=alternator)
Just get the Acura 91-95 legend alternator..Im getting one as soon as I can get to the yard...

Xulfiqar
12-04-2005, 01:45 PM
I got it off a toyota 2C turbodiesel engine, it had the 3 wire regulator connector, and the B terminal in the right spot, so it was pretty straightforward.

Bobby_Mac
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Just some food for thought here.
The 91-95 Acura Legend alternator is a Clock-Wise rotation alternator, the 3GEEZ use a CounterClockwise Engine. If u are going to use that alternator on a 3g it might be a good idea to track down a CCW rotor so you can properly cool the rectifier and regulator. Mind you it will work but the cooling of the alternator will not be as good. So the reliability of the alternator will be comprimised.

FyreDaug
12-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Its -40 what do I care? :)

smufguy
12-06-2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=30936 << thats my writeup for the 4g alternator. the belt to use with the alternaot is a Kelly Springfield 380K5 - 5PK965. and the 4g alt is 80amps as opposed to 65amp 3g alt.

POS carb
12-06-2005, 03:07 PM
when I got my alternator juiced up the guy changed the windings inside and the voltage regulator, he used the 3gee case. He had a whole bunch of different windings at his shop

Bobby_Mac
12-06-2005, 06:09 PM
those of u using a 4G alt if u can get ahold of a stator out of a chrysler nippondenso 90amp alt you can use it in the 4g casing to boost it up to 90 amps.
You don't need to swap rotors just need stator only