PDA

View Full Version : Mix and match meter consoles! Possible??

JDMB20A
12-02-2005, 10:23 AM
I have an 1986 JDM CA3 accord and the rpm meter is dead. i am planning to replace the whole set of meter inclusive of the speed meter, fuel meter, heat meter and so on. Is the wiring for the 86/87 and 88/89 the same? can the 88/89 meter be used on the 86 accord? and by the way...is there any chance a 4th generation accord (CB) meter be used in the 86 accord? or are there any other alternative meter console that would fit into a 3G accord without major modification? thank you in advance!

carotman
12-02-2005, 04:54 PM
yeah you can use any meter you want if you replace the whole thing. If not, stick between the 2 brands of meters (Denso and Nippon Seiki).

Make sure you get one from another CA3 Accord or the REdline won't be correct on the RPM. The CA3 has it's redline at 6500 while the CA5 has it at 6250.

JDMB20A
01-17-2006, 08:23 AM
i replaced the whole set with an NS meter. Problems: the red light beside the check engine light, and when i put my handbrake on, the auto cruise light would light up instead of the handbrake light! and the RPM meter is dead! this was the main reason i changed the whole meter! please help! thank you!

carotman
01-18-2006, 07:20 AM
Hmmm weird enough. In north america, all the meters have the same wiring harness so swapping them is easy,

If you still have no RPM on the new gauges, I suspect the blue wire at the back of the gauges to be the problem. The blue wire comes from the distributor and connects to the gauge cluster. Reinstall your old gauges then try to splice a wire from the distributor to the back of the gauge. If the blue wire is the problem you'll know right away.

JDMB20A
01-20-2006, 10:31 AM
thanks man! yea its the damn blue wire! btw CA5 meter doesnt work well with CA3 3rd gen! i got a CA3 meter to match it perfectly! with the CA5 meter, the auto cruise light came up when i pull the handbrake! anyways, its working well now! thanks again!