PDA

View Full Version : wierd headlight problem.

dj mackee
12-02-2005, 10:05 PM
i noticed my left headlight was out. i checked the bulb and the connection. seemed ok. then i tried my high beams and it worked. so basically my left headlights have high beams only while my right side works perfectly fine. what should i do?

Mac
12-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Sounds like your low beam is burnt out. You can check fuse #7 in the under the dash fuse panel. If the fuse is good, change the headlight.

lostforawhile
12-03-2005, 08:03 AM
there is a seperate fuse for the low beam and the high beam on the left,and the right,in other words four fuses. if it's not just the bulb blown,which it sounds like, and not the fuse,check the wires between the headlight housing and the body, where they flex, they will break in time from the headlight movement. if they are broke you can get a standard headlight plug with wires from any auto parts store,just splice the new one in as close to the body as you can. this is a common problem on all cars with pop up lights and easy to fix.

dj mackee
12-03-2005, 08:54 AM
i checked the fuse #7 and it is blown out. so does this mean i just need to replace that fuse? or do i have to get a new bulb because the high beams work.

lostforawhile
12-03-2005, 09:11 AM
unplug the connector from the back of the light, replace the fuse,and turn the lights on.if the fuse blows again you probably have a short in the little piece of wire that connects the headlight to the body,if it doesn't blow,it's just a bad headlight bulb. the high beam element in the headlight is seperate from the low beam element and it probably just shorted when it blew. each element has a seperate fuse for safety,in other words if one element blows out,it doesn't take out the other light while you are going down the freeway at night. left low beam has a fuse right low beam has a fuse,left high beam has a fuse right highbeam has a fuse.

dj mackee
12-03-2005, 09:16 AM
so i will have to get new bulbs no matter what?

lostforawhile
12-03-2005, 09:35 AM
if the fuse for that side blows with the light unplugged then you have other problems,if it doesn't blow you have a bad bulb,you are supposed to replace them in pairs,for equal brightness.

Mac
12-03-2005, 09:39 AM
so i will have to get new bulbs no matter what?

Change the fuse and see what happens. The headlight might still be good.

dj mackee
12-03-2005, 02:12 PM
replaced the fuse and the headlights are still good. thanks dudes