PDA

View Full Version : new toy

lostforawhile
12-03-2005, 09:55 AM
well i finally got my xm radio put in,this is the roady 2, it's a very small unit that can be configured to eithier play through your radio with no wiring attached to it, or it has an audio output that can be connected to a radio with rca inputs. the new antenna is extremly small and can go almost anywhere. the way i mounted mine was to use the overhead seatbelt reminder housing from an lxi i believe,it takes a few brackets made,but it will mount right up where the overhead rearview mirror goes. I just use a glue on winshield mirror from another car. i've had it on there for years,you can get one from almost any car and the mountings kits are available at all auto parts stores for a few dollars. the unit will just fit between the sunvisors,it's a litle close but acceptable,and easy to read from the drivers seat. the roady unit has a cigarette lighter plug which you can't remove because it's a power supply,but i just got an inline cigarette lighter jack,and plugged it into it,then taped them together. this is just hidden over the headliner. the lighter jack is hardwired into the car. i had installed a fiberglass piece in the rear roof section to hide the antenna,but this didn't work right so i had to mount it on the outside. it's so small it's really unobtrusive. not anything like the first generation antennas. it also acts like a small broadcast antenna so the fm modulated signal can reach your radio antenna.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/xmradio001.jpg http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/xmradio004.jpg

lostforawhile
12-03-2005, 06:18 PM
i'm going to go out now and try to get a better picture,for a note you can often get these for under fifty bucks,I got mine on sale for 30 at best buy because the box flap was torn a little bit

Cheeseburger
12-03-2005, 06:31 PM
cool

lostforawhile
12-03-2005, 06:50 PM
ok better pics,I know you can't read the display but it says 80's various jam:) this is like a three g time machine
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/xmradio2001.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/xmradio2002.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/xmradio2003.jpg

lostforawhile
12-04-2005, 07:41 PM
if anyone is interested in knowing how to install one of these with one of the overhead seatbelt chime thingys let me know and i'll try and do a how to. these roady 2s seem to be very popular right now and they fit nice over head in ourcars.

FyreDaug
12-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Its not in the way of your mirror sight or you visor flip down range at all? Looks nice. I want xm on the carputer :)

Cheeseburger
12-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Its not in the way of your mirror sight or you visor flip down range at all? Looks nice. I want xm on the carputer :)

lol...@ carputer :slap:

lostforawhile
12-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Its not in the way of your mirror sight or you visor flip down range at all? Looks nice. I want xm on the carputer :)the visors barely touch it but only when u unclip them they don't hit when u flip them down. my mirror is attached to the windshield so it doesn't get in the way.

3rdgenhatchDX
01-04-2006, 07:12 AM
K so i just bought a roady 2 from circuit city for $10... Look to see if yours are because i say their worth it... Tim pm and lemme know if you could make me some brackets also! I'll trade you some vinyl for it :D

lostforawhile
01-04-2006, 09:06 AM
you must have bought it without all the brackets and stuff does it have the power suply and antenna? i have the other brackets for mine you can have if you want,how do you want to mount it up? this is a roady 2.

Hash_man_Se_i
01-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Good stuff, I can;t wait to get my XM in my car.

3rdgenhatchDX
01-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Mine came with this:

Power supply (cig lighter)
Antenna
Wire coil
Tape adapter
Roady2
2 face plates 3 total blue red black
swivel mount
back mount piece (plastic that clips to it for mounting)
3 velcro pieces

lostforawhile
01-05-2006, 03:51 PM
well what kind of mounting did you want me to make for you? if you have all the adaptors i'll make you one, but i need some info on what you want.

3rdgenhatchDX
01-06-2006, 06:20 AM
I want exactly what you've got up between the visors... where the seat belt thing went... that'd be fine :D

lostforawhile
01-06-2006, 08:39 AM
that would be fine but i need you to find me one of those seat belt chime thingys,does your car have one? it needs to be modified a lot to make it work so the chime wouldn't work anymore. unplugging the chime doesn't affect anything else does it? and do you want to keep your over head mirror or do you want to convert to a windshield miror? thats important on how i make it

88accordhb
01-06-2006, 01:46 PM
geez, tim, that's oldschool

lostforawhile
01-07-2006, 02:01 PM
na old school would be an 8 track changer in there. I used to have one it would select between three different 8 tracks. not in this car,dear god no,it weighed so much the dash would colapse.

3rdgenhatchDX
01-07-2006, 03:14 PM
yeah i've got one...