PDA

View Full Version : stock stereo upgrades?

gsus
12-03-2005, 12:33 PM
hey fellas, i'm looking for stereo upgrade in my 89 accord lxi now, i just want a stock upgrade... i dont need anything fancy or whatever... just something clean and stock looking that people wont want to be breaking into my car for. i dont exactly live in the best neighborhood & have had people break in to my dads wagon for some petty change! so, i was wondering if any of the newer honda/acura cd players/radios fit in our cars? if so, are there any with mp3 playback? i really dont want to deal with aftermarket cuz i dont want to hazzle with removing the faceplate everytime i get out of the car?

any of you have any ideas?
thanks

ex1z7
12-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Well. you can get speakers that fit the dimensions of your stock slots, it takes a bit of poking sometimes to find decent ones in our size - but it's doable.. Then just put a speaker cover over them so they look stock again. Thats what I've always done.. saves the hassle of cleaning up broken glass on your seats.

And deck wise - I'd say save the going OEM honda parts and go aftermarket, but go like cd changer in your glovebox or something. or if you don't want to go that route get a subtle black deck without all the insane lights and shit so it looks stock-ish and place that in.

Or rig up a pull down plastic sliding screen ! That'd be cool, have something that covers your deck and radio so to the unseen eye it looks like your car is just dodgy and never came with decks.. Crooks tend to be morons so it can pass.. It's also a deterent they might think it's locked or hard to get up and don't want to fuss with the dramas..

My $0.02

gsus
12-03-2005, 04:19 PM
yeah a cheap looking stereo was another route i thought about... but i dont want to put so much $$$ in my beater car. i've delt with cheap cd players before & all they do is skip on me. maybe they've gotten better maybe they have not. although i do like your blank sliding screen idea. i'll probably give into a fairly cheap (under $100) mp3 cd player if i cant find a stock alternative. i might run my old 4ch 400w jensen amp to some speakers that i have yet too look at (i'll probably cheap out & get some jensens :D... beats my popped original 89 speakers!).

anyhow, if you guys know of a single din stock stereo with mp3 playback let me know

thanks

ex1z7
12-03-2005, 04:37 PM
You got a workin' tape deck, right? go buy an MP3 playing discman and pop it in the centre console, get a tape deck kit and bam - you got a cheap quick alternative ;) go get a sony discman or something that has g-shock or whatever it is so it wont skip..

gsus
12-03-2005, 04:41 PM
You got a workin' tape deck, right? go buy an MP3 playing discman and pop it in the centre console, get a tape deck kit and bam - you got a cheap quick alternative ;) go get a sony discman or something that has g-shock or whatever it is so it wont skip..

lol... i wish man.. everything in the car is completely stock. the stereo decides fades & balances on its own, the speakers are popped. so a small upgrade wouldnt hurt. i think the integra 94-01 cd player might work & expandable to cd changer control!

i'll keep this updated with what i end up doing :)

suvsareretarded
12-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Did honda ever produce a stock OEM deck that had a line in input? I don't ever use CDs anymore, but it'd be nice to find a stock looking deck iwth a lot of power and a line in for my ipod.

carotman
12-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Most of the Honda decks have an hidden line in from the rear CD changer connection. The connection for the stock EQ can work as a line in too.

russiankid
12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
in Japan they came with cd changers, but that was optional

HondaBoy
12-05-2005, 11:41 PM
i'd say go to a pawn shop and buy a used one. that's what i did when i first got my car. luckily for me i now can park it in my back yard driveway. but yeah i know what you mean about not wanting to spend much because people are shitty like that and will go for it if they see a nice HU. if you have a junk yard you can go to check them out and see if you can find a stock cd player HU out of a honda. i know like '94 and up i've been able to find like accords, civics, CR-Vs, stuff like that with the same size HU as the 3gee came with.

gsus
12-06-2005, 10:29 PM
i'd say go to a pawn shop and buy a used one. that's what i did when i first got my car. luckily for me i now can park it in my back yard driveway. but yeah i know what you mean about not wanting to spend much because people are shitty like that and will go for it if they see a nice HU. if you have a junk yard you can go to check them out and see if you can find a stock cd player HU out of a honda. i know like '94 and up i've been able to find like accords, civics, CR-Vs, stuff like that with the same size HU as the 3gee came with.

thanks for the info, but its cold as heck here in the chicago area! so i dont know if i want to hit up the junkyards right now lol. i'm probably gonna get a stock cd player from a 94+ integra. i'll have to check in on other hondas too though, cuz i thought the integras were the only ones that kept the single din cd players (well they actually have double dins but they have single din headunits)... but if i can find out if the newer special edition civic stock cd/mp3 player is a single din setup, i might get that if they are cheap.

charlesb2003
12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
in my first 3gee, i had a stock headunit from a 97 accord. plugs right in, and has the input for a cd-changer. use a honda to alpine adapter, and an m-bus to ai-net adapter, and get the alpine CHAS-634 6 disc mp3 cd changer and you're good to go.

gsus
12-13-2005, 09:16 AM
okay, guys i got a question... is there anyway to install a single din unit in the compartment below the stereo? cuz i found a pretty good deal on a double din setup from an integra. cassette player w/ cd player. although i would prefer the cd player, over this setup... i let my pops use this car during the summer (the accord is my winter car, my mr2 is my spring/sumer/fall car) & he plays more tapes then he does cd's, so i dont want to take the cassette player away from him. anybody know how difficult it would be to fit the cd single din unit somewhere else in the car?

charlesb2003
12-13-2005, 03:19 PM
if you can find the piece where the stock cd player or eq went... it replaces the tapeholder (or cupholder if it's an SE-i) and you could fit a single DIN unit in there.

gsus
12-14-2005, 10:17 AM
well i found a stock single integra cd player for $20 :).... so no more worries on the double din setup. my pops will just have to come to using CD more than tapes now http://mr2oc.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif. any of you guys know if there are any eq's that will fit under the little flap thing in the cassette holder housing? i need something to control the $25 400w 4ch amp that i bought.

gsus
01-13-2006, 12:04 AM
well i almost have everything to install my 4ch jensen amp... i just need those damn speakers that i ordered a month ago to come in.

anyhow, here is a pic of the 97 integra cd player installed in the stock location. plug & play :). i havent bolted the back in yet (so i'm not sure if it will bolt in he back like the stock unit did.), i'm waiting to install the 4ch before doing that.

enough talk here's a few pics
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/pd3d1e2726e2339d773d51680d625aa53/f099a1d9.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/p7109751b9244f799665464b34385eeed/f099a1f4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/p68964652884106b2f905a28ec94d6684/f099a1cb.jpg