PDA

View Full Version : ..why can't I use this axle?

Accordtheory
12-04-2005, 01:44 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_1_full.jpg Stock accord axle, 93 ls ys1 tranny. Clicks right in place. Are the lengths different between this and the b series axles, due to a slightly wider differential, or what? It looks to me like it will work. I guess I'll get a 90-93 driver's side axle. (I haven't tried to see if the accord driver's side axle will work in place of using the integra axle+intermediate shaft. They say the newer b series equal length design is to reduce torque steer, but my stock accord never had that, and it always burned both front tires evenly. Who knows.) http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/814000-814999/814838_2_full.jpg This is where I do my thing...here you can see my mig welder, auto darkening helmet and plasma cutter on the little cart I built for them, my nice quiet air compressor, engine hoist, engine stand, my ridiculously powerful and lightweight IR 1/2" titanium impact gun, some tools, and some other random shit, like my old a20a3 head.

SteveDX89
12-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Just because it will snap into the tranny means nothing. You have to get the motor in the car and the position in the car will determine what axle you can use. You're one of the 1st who regularly posts here that's doing this without the PRI kit. We won't have many answers here for you. Trial and error is your friend.

HondaBoy
12-04-2005, 03:25 PM
trial and error is a bitch :bowrofl:

SQ is the SQUAD
12-04-2005, 04:00 PM
too bad i dont have an inside area like this to qwork on my car, or els id be finished. prob wont touch it until next spring

masterkillalw
12-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Hey Squad. I fell u there bro. Getting quite cold out here too. I am still working on this harness. Here is the list to get my swap done.
Waiting for an e-mail on fuel pump.
Finish Wiring harness.
Install wiring harness.
Install fuel pump.
Get car to shop to get mounts made.
Install mounts.
ALL DONE!

Accordtheory
12-04-2005, 04:44 PM
it's not really an inside area, it's just just like a patio extension. I can't actually get my car back there, which Totally sucks. I had to pull the engine/tranny in my driveway, with the damn hoist fighting me the entire time by trying to roll down into the street..

I think the fact that the accord passenger side axle snaps into the tranny means a lot. You have an axle that has both the right ends and a damn close, if not perfect length. What would affect the required length would be engine positioning side to side and the width of the differential, I don't think either of those are going to be much different with the b series..hopefully. I'm going on a lot of theories and assumptions here.. we'll see what ends up working. I think the lengths of the driver and passenger side axles on the integra are the same, as measured from the wheel end to the tranny cv joint. (Not including the tranny spline length, which is different) I also suspect that the passenger side accord axle is the same overall length as the passenger side integra axle. And, I also suspect that the 90-93 and 94-01 integras all have the same outer splines, and that those are the same as the accord, and that the only difference between the integra 90-93 and 94+ is the style of the intermediate shaft, and the driver's side axle where it connects to that. I haven't figured out which intermediate shaft I like better. I already have the 90-93 style. If I decide to keep that style, when I get the driver's side 90-93 integra axle some of my questions will be answered..Hopefully it will be the same length to the inner cv joint as the passenger side axle, that length will be right, and it will have the right splines..

p.s. PRI can juggle these balls!
..sorry for the crudeness

masterkillalw
12-04-2005, 05:17 PM
After looking at the pictures a little better. What mounts are those?

Accordtheory
12-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Mounts that have to be cut up and re welded..they're for a b series into a crx. I''l post pics when I'm done with that..

masterkillalw
12-05-2005, 09:23 PM
was gonna say cuz those aren't stock...LOL...also an update. Since it snowed here. I have been set back for working outside. The wiring harness needs more parts for it to be finished. Hopefully problem solved by next week.

racetek82
12-22-2005, 11:35 AM
The accord axle fits on the passenger side. The driver side will not fit, due to the accord axle's large CV housing, and the B-series tranny/block being a smaller clearance area. The CV's cannot be swapped either, they use different splines and tripod styles.

I'm using a PRI axle on the driver side, and an accord axle on the passenger side now. They seem to be a little short, as I get some clicking and vibration during hard cornering, it may just be the angle though, since my car is lowered quite a bit. I'm going to try and bring the car down to TCI to get some new axles made to handle high hp. I'll let you guys know how things turn out. I'm still going to try an offer a mount kit for you guys, I've just been way to busy here at work to pull the mounts to copy.

Here's some pictures of my car from our recent Toys for Tots meet:
http://j1799.ukgeeks.co.uk/c799115.html

Accordtheory
12-22-2005, 03:03 PM
I just bought a set of axles for the 90-93 integra, I'll see how they compare to the stock passenger side accord one. I haven't picked them up yet..

Accordtheory
12-22-2005, 03:04 PM
This stupid Pouring rain is really starting to piss me off..

racetek82
12-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Where are you located in CA? You can come check out my swap if you're in the bay area.

Accordtheory
12-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Im in woodland, maybe like an hour, hour and a half away from the bay..but that still wouldn't tell me anything about the stock 90-93 axle fitment...

A20A1
12-22-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Oldschool swap did his without the kit, then ended up getting the kit after his upper ball joint left his car in shambles...

racetek82
12-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Just thought it might help you get some ideas for your swap, or if you need help with anything else.

What's the connection between the upper ball joint and not using the PRI kit?

Accordtheory
12-23-2005, 05:55 PM
What's the connection between the upper ball joint and not using the PRI kit?
No shit..moderators strike again...lol