PDA

View Full Version : somebody must like me....

b8er
12-04-2005, 02:34 PM
long read: beware

well some of you may have read it was my b-day a few days ago and we ended up having the party at my work. during the drive home from work my car was acting quite weird and i noticed hey its getting hot, pulled over to take a look at the motor to see if i could find out what it was and what did i find... yea the rad hoses were frozen, i went to sqeeze them and you can hear ice, like the insides of the hoses were frosted, imeditaly i knew i was a moron,

see about 3 months back i had an overheating problem, turn out my thermastat housing cracked for some un-knowen reason and anyways i would drive for a min. stop. but some water in the car, let it sit for 10 min and then continue and do it over again, it took me 3 hours to get home which unualy takes 20 min tops.

back to me being a moron, .... one i fixed the overheating problem when i got home i thought everything was cool and drove the car like always till last night. now im a moron because i never put an antifreeze in the motor once everything was fixed , it was full and didnt even cross my mind so i was freaking out that i may have cracked the block (water expands when it freezes) so here i am outside in my driveway at 10pm in -15 degree weather tyring to get my car to thaw, impossible i know.

so im looking over the car decided what i was gonna do and noticed what looked like a crack on the plastic part of the top rad hose, so i wiped it to make sure it wasnt just dirt or somthing and nope its a crack so i figureed sweet i gotta get the hose off to fix that some how. i go to pop the hose off and bam the whole thing breaks right of inside the rad hose, so now im just pissed and its getting colder so i decide i gotta pull the rad, luckly enought i have a brand new spare rad so im pulling it off and start to lose feeling in my fingers so i go into the shop and find a heater and stick it under the car , put a blanket over top of the motor under the hood and a bunch of blankest rolled up underneath the car and hope to god it holds some heat inside the engine bay.

jump to today...... wake up at 8:00, i wanna get as much time in on this thing as possible. finish pulling the rad, just had to pull of the bottom hose, swap in the new rad, pull some coolant into it, start the motor and start praying the blocks ok. i was looking around and everythings cool no leaks so i continue with the antifreeze and everythings going good, temp gauge is coming up, rads bubbeling, im starting to think im on the home strecth and its still fairly cold out so i hop inside the car to get a little heat blowin on my hands and whats that.... yup no heat, heatercore is foze, so i let the car run, through the heater on inside the car hoping to get some heat on the heartercore and throught everyhing and 10 min with the heater inside the heatercore thaws out and everythings perfect, fans come on, thermostat opens, heatehr blows air, god somebody must love me up there, aha, long story but i figure i had to tell you guys

moral of the story, always have antifreeze in our car

russiankid
12-04-2005, 02:44 PM
haha..yep

lostforawhile
12-04-2005, 02:46 PM
LUKE!use the prestone!

mkymonkey
12-04-2005, 02:53 PM
lol.....even though it was a long read...great story. its cool when there's a happy ending to every crappy car story. lol

b8er
12-04-2005, 07:25 PM
o yea it was definatly long, i probably should have said that before, sorry, ahaha, im so so happy that the cars ok,

whats with the LUKE comment? am i missing something

88eyeguy
12-04-2005, 07:36 PM
ahem...LUKE use the force!...ahem.
good read. you got lucky, man.
my work is done here.

lostforawhile
12-04-2005, 07:47 PM
o yea it was definatly long, i probably should have said that before, sorry, ahaha, im so so happy that the cars ok,
whats with the LUKE comment? am i missing somethingI'm sure if skywalker had frozen the radiator on his landspeeder ben knobe would have appeared out of no where and said use the prestone luke,not the force! it's freakin freezing out here. and why am i wearing a robe in the cold? :bowrofl: I wonder if those droids used antifreeze? I can just see r2d2 with a blown out freeze plug.

b8er
12-04-2005, 11:47 PM
ahh , i gotcha guys now, yea man did i feel like a complete retard, i was awarded the top mechanics award in my school for grade 12 and then i do this, i was flipping out trying to figure out what to do, but everythings good now, gonna flush the rad one more time cause i saw just a tad bit of browny stuff, inticating some rust so il flush it and see how it looks

lostforawhile
12-05-2005, 01:43 PM
glad your car is ok,keep an eye on your heater core so it doesn't develop a leak in the future.

b8er
12-06-2005, 12:05 AM
yea iv been keeping an eye on it, everything seems cool

3rdgenhatchDX
12-07-2005, 07:08 AM
:bowrofl:
so i go into the shop and find a heater and stick it under the car , put a blanket over top of the motor under the hood and a bunch of blankest rolled up underneath the car and hope to god it holds some heat inside the engine bay.

Awe! you tucked it in! :D

lostforawhile
12-07-2005, 08:07 PM
you should have also put some pics of half naked japanese girls up for it,that would have warmed it up,japanese car you know,:)

3rdgenhatchDX
12-12-2005, 06:36 AM
^^^ ahahhaha :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

Strahan
12-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Funny, I did the same thing myself. My head is cracked and I have a leaky thermostat. One of those things that I've been meaning to address but kept procrastinating. Every time I drive the car any appreciable distance I have to top off the radiator before I go. Me being the cheap bastard that I am I started using straight water. This was in October, when it was warm out (at least in south central PA). Around the beginning of December I went to go out somewhere, grabbed the water jug, popped the hood and tried to pour only to find the jug frozen. Realizing what must be going on in my engine I grabbed the upper rad hose and sure enough, it was solid. After a few expletives I hopping in my van instead and left. No garage so I had to wait until last Saturday when it hit 44 degrees, finally thawed enough to where I was reasonably sure the water pump impeller wasn't frozen solid so I had it flushed.
Needless to say, I won't be cheap with my coolant anymore :lol: Man it was so nice to be driving the Accord instead of the Caravan, hehe, I forgot what it's like to actually be able to accelerate and row the gears myself heh.

Ichiban
12-20-2005, 02:25 PM
a few years ago when i was in college and i was driving my chevy, my dad lent it to someone while i was away and failed to tell them about the leak in the rad, so i drove it all winter with both heads cracked. combustion pressure was leaking into the coolant system and after about a half hour of driving all the coolant would blow out through the rad cap and eventually the vent on the overflow. just follow the trail of green foam and you'd find a brown 3/4 ton pulled over with me pouring water into it. at one point i must have had 30 different jugs of coolant, water, gatorade etc to keep it alive.

another time i sold a spare EL 1602 honda motor to this guy with a blue 1g hatch. he lost a coolant line and wiped out that motor, and i eventually bought the car off of him for 200 dollars, cause i had another spare 1.6 out of my 2g... so i did the swap, and 50km later i lost yet another coolant line and wiped out that motor. it got so hot the valve cover gasket dribbled down the front of the block and the timing cover melted away like stringy pizza cheese.

This fall i pulled my toyota into 7-11 for some fuel when i heard a distinct "pop!....splash!" the waterpump seal failed as i was reaching for the gaspump. it actually vomited all of the coolant out the front of the truck. i went inside to get water and the attendant asked me if i put gas in my truck. i told her it didn't deserve any.
i ended up driving back to the shop using 20 second WOT bursts and coasting with the engine off to keep it cool.

i almost killed my boss's little dozer when the alternator bearings exploded and the fanbelt disappeared. turns out the fan belt is like a 4 hour job because you have to take off the pto pump which is bolted to the crank pulley and there's no room.

a week ago i was riding with my buddy in his chev pickup when the heater core died and filled the cab with steam. he was running straight water and plugging it in when he parked, so the water promptly froze on everything inside the truck, including us.

in conclusion, you probably don't want me anywhere near your coolant system!

speedpenguin
12-20-2005, 05:34 PM
goddamn...

lostforawhile
12-20-2005, 07:46 PM
I feel much better now!! YOU! stay away from my new heater core and radiator!!:bowrofl:

Ichiban
12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
yeah, the prestone people just love me...funny how i never see any cats or dogs around town anymore...

Strahan
12-21-2005, 12:53 PM
yeah, the prestone people just love me...funny how i never see any cats or dogs around town anymore...

:lol: