PDA

View Full Version : yet another starting problem!

bigpoppa88
08-17-2002, 01:12 PM
I've read all the archives about hard starting etc...but I'm still having problems, hope there's an answer out there. 1988 accord, carb, standard. When I start from cold (over night or on a cooler day) the engines starts fine for 3-4 seconds then starts running rich, tumbling with black exhaust if I try to drive to warm it up quicker, there is no power when I press on the gas. When it finally warms up 5-10 minutes it runns normal

THINGS I'VE CHANGED:
-The choke cover, even though the carb plate was closed properly when cold.

-Fuel filter (front and back)

-Coil

-plugs

-distributor & rotor

-PCV valve

sprayed every concievable cleaner in the carb and soaked the linkages.

cables are 6 months old.

I don't have a vacum gauge to check for air leaks but they all seem fin wit a visual inspection. Help please!

ACCORD EX
08-17-2002, 01:45 PM
car should warm up from 5 > 10 min to circulate the oil and the coolant ! mine does the same thing ! even my dads 95 peugeot ( first owner ) does that !

does your fast idle work ( meaning your rpm rises in cold mornings when you start it ? )

MIKE

1988starter
08-17-2002, 02:02 PM
My last carb car did that I just reved it a little after starting and then went on my merry way

shepherd79
08-17-2002, 05:09 PM
pick up chiltons manual, follow the manual to check sensors. check your O2 sensor.
you carb may be needs rebuilding. it is a good thing to do sometimes, the kit cost $29.97 from autozone.