PDA

View Full Version : I have an electrical problem

Trick87Accord
12-05-2005, 09:02 AM
For some reason my car has been acting really weird its been not keeping the charge on the battery, me and my dad think its wire harrness but were not experts. Yesterday i was driving and it started to chug really bad, i couldn't figure out the reason, and when i would push my clutch in the RPM's would rise to about 3,000. Eventually i chugged my way home and then pulled in the drive way and it died on me. I put it on the battery charger and it drove fine but then on the way to school this morning it died no chug or anything just died My radio quits on me when im driving that is my indicator when something is going to go wrong. So please help me out on this one its been haunting me for some time it acts like shit for a month then it will be fine for awhile then it happens again. WHATS WRONG?:uh: :uh:

Blkblurr
12-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Your alternator is bad. Have you put a voltmeter on your battery when the engine is running? You should have about 13.6 volts. It could be your alternator belt as well. It may be loose. I guess it could be the wiring from the alt to the battery but my guess is it's not.

Hope this helps

Trick87Accord
12-07-2005, 11:41 AM
well i think that me and my dad my have found something that might be a problem later last week i was driving and i was changing from dims to high beams and i broke the handle thing not really clean off just made it so there is tons of play in it, now whenever i turn on my lights all the interior lights go really dim in the car and my dad thinks that maybe theres a wire touching another wire of something that is cusing a short do you think that could be possible?

shepherd79
12-07-2005, 01:48 PM
you may want to check the alternator. start the car and put the voltmeter to the battery. the voltage should be 14.4V or at least 13.5v if you are below that, you need a new alternator.

Honda-Master
12-10-2005, 12:38 AM
sounds to me like an alternator issue as well,,,,,,,,,if wires touch and there is a short it would the fuse for that particular system,,,, have the electrical system tested , battery, alternator and also for any possible electrical drain

Blkblurr
12-10-2005, 06:10 AM
The reason the interior lights dim is because the headlights take so much current that the battery voltage drops. No alternator to control voltage and recharge the system.

lostforawhile
12-27-2005, 02:54 PM
ya your alternator is gone,thats why your radio shuts off,constantly charging and draining the battery like that is also ruining the battery itself, thats why it won't hold a charge very long. that handle on the lights just goes to a switch mechanism inside the combo switch,I doubt anything is shorted,it's mostly mechanical. you need an alternator and probably a battery asap