PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump problems

fur_fenton
12-05-2005, 02:06 PM
hello, ive got a little problem thats getting annoying. since it has gotten cold out ive been having a hell of a time starting my car in the morning. I pump the gas, it fires and dies, does this three times and then nothing. I have to crank the engine over continuously for a long time, its like the carb isnt getting any fuel. I replaced both filters, and for the one in the engine compartment with a clear one.. when i turn the key to the on position shouldnt fuel be pumped into the carb for a second or two. but theres nothing, not until i crank the engine. its like all the fuel thats in the line drains back into the tank overnight. does anybody have any insight to whats causing this. My other accord has never had this problem and fires right up all the time. oh, and i replaced the fuel pump with one from a parts car already and it still does the same thing. thanks in advance

Kabuki
12-05-2005, 06:07 PM
hello, ive got a little problem thats getting annoying. since it has gotten cold out ive been having a hell of a time starting my car in the morning. I pump the gas, it fires and dies, does this three times and then nothing. I have to crank the engine over continuously for a long time, its like the carb isnt getting any fuel. I replaced both filters, and for the one in the engine compartment with a clear one.. when i turn the key to the on position shouldnt fuel be pumped into the carb for a second or two. but theres nothing, not until i crank the engine. its like all the fuel thats in the line drains back into the tank overnight. does anybody have any insight to whats causing this. My other accord has never had this problem and fires right up all the time. oh, and i replaced the fuel pump with one from a parts car already and it still does the same thing. thanks in advance

It's not the fuel pump. How many times are you pumping the accelerator? You can actually remove the air cleaner lid and see through the screen if there is any fuel in the carburetor. Frankly, it sounds like two different problems. First, it sounds like a cold start issue. Second, it sound like you flood the carburetor.

fur_fenton
12-05-2005, 10:28 PM
i usually pump the gas twice, it fires and runs for a second and dies. if i try and start it without stepping on the gas after this it wont fire at all, until i press it again, and it repeats itself. I know the carb isnt flooded, after i try and start it, all the gas is gone from the line, the fuel filter is empty and there isnt anything spraying into the carb. I can prime it and get it to work, and once its running it runs great. As for you saying i have cold start problems, is there anything you can recommend for me to do?

Kabuki
12-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Well, if you have no fuel, are you actually getting power to the pump? Sometimes bad ignition switches will act that way. When it starts and dies, are the dash lights on?

fur_fenton
12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
theres power getting to the pump once the engine is on, and i believe there us a short burst of power when i turn the key on, but it doesnt last more than a second. and yes, all the dash light do come on. i wonder if i just need a new pump.. thanks for all your help so far

Kabuki
12-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Okay, well... Sounds like you need a new pump... Get a good unit this time. Honda list is $139.

russiankid
12-07-2005, 02:33 PM
my bro had the same problem on his 89 LX a couple years back, it would do the same as yours, replaced the fuel filters, and same thing, it ended up being the plugs, they were 1. the wrong plugs, 2. they were gapped wrong, so try that, his car would start but after about 5 min of full throttle and starting it, and the idle wasnt steady it would jump from 800down to 600 and inbetween that, so check your plugs

lamontlamont
12-08-2005, 02:56 PM
first thing first. you should make sure you have clean plugs air filter rotor cap good ignition timing and even pcv valves and breather elements. you will be shocked at how many problems are caused by the need of a tune up.

Honda-Master
12-10-2005, 12:12 AM
yo Fur what year is your car??

fur_fenton
12-10-2005, 08:11 AM
the car is a 87.

Honda-Master
12-12-2005, 11:04 PM
remove the air cleaner make sure the choke is working properly ..when car dies ,spray some carb cleaner in the carb see if it starts right up again ,,do not use starting fluid ,,,if u find out it is the fuel pump replace the fuel pump relay as well...