PDA

View Full Version : Broken Bolts and Studs

HondaBoy
12-05-2005, 11:35 PM
ok, well on things i've taken off my engine, i've noticed that the bolts and studs like to break off easily. has anyone else had this happen often? its always on original parts though, so i could guess that would happen. recently i noticed the exhaust manifold's bolts were comming loose, some were missing, and still are! i barely tried to tighten one of them and the damn stud broke right off! i believe they are replaceable, looks like it in the parts discription. so i'm hoping so. i'd probley say i'll wait to get new exhaust studs and bolts that go there on the head. anyway, just seems wierd that the bolts break off easily. hopefully thats not going to be the case on my internals. if so i can easily get another motor put in, just not so easy finding a quality doner.

StressSolutions
12-06-2005, 05:36 AM
Yeah, well I set to taking off/taking down that nice plastic piece that shields the engine from the road nasties...I broke 3 of those little bolts. I would have thought that those would have been in and out enough to stay fresh. Exhaust bolts are a different story....but I'm missing a couple nuts from the manifold as well.

jigga89SEi
12-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Remember your workin on 16-19+ year old cars... N alot of the bolts/nuts/studs have never been removed...

But if u got a couple engines like me ( n all my suspensioin) that've been taken apart n put back together numerous times u don't have to worry about that...

Most of ur engine bay bolts can be found at ur local hardware store... Just be sure to get metric as not to strip the threads...
I believe most of the bolts are 8x125 or 10x125.. somethin like that...

AccordEpicenter
12-06-2005, 04:11 PM
honda bolts are of much higher quality than can be typically had at the hardware store, believe it or not.

bobafett
12-06-2005, 05:42 PM
yeah most OE hardware is a lot stronger than common store bought hardware. i bought the best metric bolts i could find at our hardware store (which has a really good selection) and i bent/busted the hell out of them when trying to install the alternator tensioner on my 240. :( the thing just spun and spun until the head snapped right off.

HondaBoy
12-06-2005, 06:10 PM
yeah, actually i was going to order some genuine honda bolts and fasteners and whatnot when it comes time to do so since i've had good luck with them. they always fit and are perfectly sized in length and everything. i had broken 2 of the 3 bolts on the oil filter base like a month back, had to order new bolts. those of which arent sold individually, they only sold 10 at a time being that they are packaged like that. no biggie, i guess i atleast have extras for whatever else may need them.