PDA

View Full Version : Help! Dirty seat belts - How to clean?

TheWatcher
12-06-2005, 11:50 PM
I have dirty, smelly (mold??) seat belts. :(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid195/p0c2d45daa52f1ce8b01ee7f89f2dbffc/f127e3ea.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid195/p5cefd33388f0c2ebece908c75ce75de2/f127e39c.jpg

What is the best way to clean them? :dunno: I don't want to jeopardize the integrity of the seat belt, but I need to get them clean. :)

Plan A - I was thinking of using Folex (carpet spot remover) & a Meguiar's Interior Brush.

Plan B - If the Folex doesn't work, then maybe steam clean (maybe buy a Bissell Little Green Machine???). Use an ozone machine to deodorize (buy at Sharper Image???).

Plan C - Throw up my hands and take it to a detailer to clean and/or deodorize.

TIA.

Peace.

paso100
12-07-2005, 12:01 AM
I'd first try dishwashing soap and warm water w/ a soft tooth brush. If that doesn't do the trick... Product C28
http://www.prowax.com/cleaners.shtml#C-28

Cheeseburger
12-07-2005, 12:05 AM
i think that the steam cleaning will help out the most...

jman123
12-07-2005, 06:41 AM
OXYCLEAN!!!!!
It will remove all of those spots, plus all of the organic junk! AND NOT DAMAGE THE MATERIAL!
Just dip them in a bowl/tray of the solution, and use a smooth brush for penetration, and let sit for about 20 minutes - rinse thoroughly with warm water.

I've restored a bunch of fabric stuff this way, some with way more mold and crap that that. You probably want to buy some fabric mold resistant spray (fabric stores and hobby stores carry it).

gp02a0083
12-07-2005, 07:47 AM
id have to say oxyclean and steam cleaning to kill the mold, i did something similar wehn i re did my interior on my 442 belts looked clean near the top but looked like they were growin mold like that , give oxy clean a try and use the brush with it then steam it to kill the shit

frankie89
12-07-2005, 07:53 AM
PLAN D or if all else fails......just hit up the junkyard and replace your seatbelts with black ones..no stains and looks so much better..i did this with my coupe, i took them old dirty dingy tan ones and tossed them..i put in black seatbelts and they look nice..its well worth it and its easy to do..

TheWatcher
12-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate the help.

Update - I ordered the steam cleaner. :) (BTW - does the strikethrough code work???)

I'd like to steam clean the seat belts first (following Cheeseburger's suggestion, but I need to get a steam cleaner), next use a cleaner (possibly C-28, thanks for the tip paso100), followed by an anti-bacterial cleaner (to kill the mold), followed by drying them thoroughly in the hawaiian sun. The seat belts are currently outside the car (easier to clean). I agree that the mold (mildew, whatever it is) has to go, to prevent problems in the future.

I've read somewhere that Oxiclean contains a lot of bleach (sodium percarbonate???), so I'm gonna pass on the Oxiclean, since I don't want to weaken the seat belt material (thanks for the suggestion anyway jman123).

Does that sound like a good plan? Let me know.

TIA.

Peace.

blahblahblah
12-08-2005, 12:09 AM
lol...you might be able to rent one.. I would say just some carpet cleaner would work..Thats what I used on my belts..their black tho..

ex1z7
12-09-2005, 03:37 AM
oxyclean isn't bleach.. I've soaked alot of blue/red/black clothes and other materials in oxyclean and it doesn't hurt them at all ?

Tell us what ends up fixin' it all up so we know for future reference.. We should have a detailing sections like we have a swap section and suspension..

Cleaning is a much easier modification then swapping out suspension parts IMO ;)

TheWatcher
12-09-2005, 08:55 AM
oxyclean isn't bleach.. I've soaked alot of blue/red/black clothes and other materials in oxyclean and it doesn't hurt them at all ?
Tell us what ends up fixin' it all up so we know for future reference.. We should have a detailing sections like we have a swap section and suspension..
Cleaning is a much easier modification then swapping out suspension parts IMO ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OxiClean

Quote: "OxiClean is a cleaning product marketed through infomercials as a 'miracle cleanser', ostensibly a miracle 'oxygen' chemical. In reality, it is sodium percarbonate (C2H8Na4O12), a detergent and bleaching agent which produces hydrogen peroxide when dissolved in water."

Hope that clears it up.

BTW, I ordered the steam cleaner.

Peace.

logic
12-09-2005, 09:12 AM

Depends on how dirty it is!!!!!!!:lol:

ex1z7
12-09-2005, 02:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OxiClean
Quote: a detergent and bleaching agent

Fine, you win.. <tounge back in mouth>

Depends on how dirty it is!!!!!!!:lol:

True true, but theres a nice range of products out there that make cleaning an absolute breeze.. spray product, spray water, walk away, return to easily washable dirty car =)

Or something.

lostforawhile
12-09-2005, 03:06 PM
according to the factory owners manual I have,It says use a mild detergent and a soft brush,DO not use bleach or harsh cleaning solvents,it wil weaken the belts. after cleaning fully extend the belts and allow to dry.

TheWatcher
12-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies (except the newbie who was thread-crapping). :)

My steam cleaner is ordered, but coming UPS Ground (almost $50 shipping!) & won't be here till next weekend. In the meantime, I'm planning on doing some light cleaning w/ Folex on the weekend. So I probably won't start steam cleaning until next weekend. :(

The pics don't show how really filthy the seat belts are ... or the smell.

Thanks for having my back.

Peace.

Legend_master
12-11-2005, 08:44 PM
if they are ripped or even frued(s/p) in any way Honda will replace them for free. So take a razor blade and rub it across the edge of the seat belt then go to the dealership and have them fix it free of charge as soon as the parts come in.

NXRacer
12-12-2005, 11:24 AM
or you could just break the seatbelts somehow and have the dealer replace them for free. They're guaranteed for life with free replacement.

smufguy
12-12-2005, 01:27 PM
use color safe bleach and see if you can remove the stains and the mould. In the first place, how did they get there to begin with?

jman123
12-13-2005, 08:35 AM
if they are ripped or even frued(s/p) in any way Honda will replace them for free. So take a razor blade and rub it across the edge of the seat belt then go to the dealership and have them fix it free of charge as soon as the parts come in.

Wow...I did not know about the free replacement....what other parts does this apply to?

smufguy
12-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Wow...I did not know about the free replacement....what other parts does this apply to?

all primary safety equipment.

MrBen
12-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Personally I'd rip em and have Honda replace them :tongue: There's a huge difference between the new seat belts and the old... the main difference being the seat belts actually recoil and aren't stiff