PDA

View Full Version : Climbing idle

v3rs3
12-07-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm not big on carburated cars. So I have no clue, but when I start my Accord the idle starts at 2k. I drive it a bit and I come to a stop sign and it's near 3k. Now the car has been running fine, it is missing the exhaust after the cat, going to get it this weekend. Anyone have any ideas? It also has a little shimmy going like 5 mph and pulls the left a bit. I'm going to check that out tomorrow at work though.

3rdgenhatchDX
12-07-2005, 07:25 AM
DOOD! YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC CHOKE, WHY DON'T YOU JUST DO A SEARCH OR READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL, OR ASK SOME OLD FART AT THE LOCAL NAPA!?!!?!??!?!?!?!? Yeah but really tap your pedal and the idle will go down your car's fine, welcome to 3geez.com

P.s. ever let your car warm up in the morning?
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/3rdgenhatchdx/My%20car%20pix/db4bcd36.jpg
thats what mine looks like when its not ready to go yet. just tap the pedal, and you can go...

russiankid
12-07-2005, 02:36 PM
thats normal, its because its warming up, thats how the idle is when the engine is cold, if u start it and let it warm up the idle wont be at 3k, try this, start the car, revs to 2k...let it run for about 10-20secs, the rpm's will go to 3k, so its normal, i just tap the throttle and it goes down

A20A1
12-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Hmm, if the car is fully warm... and that would entail that your coolant system was full and the thermostat, etc were working properly. And the car doesn't idle down, it would be a fast idle problem... but it could also be a vacuum leak, causing the vacuum idle diaphragm on the passenger side of the car to raise the idle.

Remember when adjusting idle speed to only do it when the car is fully warm.