PDA

View Full Version : testing MSD Blaster 2 coil

maka_RTH
12-08-2005, 10:15 AM
does anybody know how? i know how to test the stock coil., but i don't know how or if you can test this. the reason i ask is cuz my car isn't starting. it's getting fuel, and spark, but at times the spark doesn't seem as strong as it could be. it was running just fine, then it kinda misfired a few times, then died. i checked it out, wasn't getting spark, and realized that the blue wire from the ignitor had become disconnected from the coil. i fixed that, and now i get spark (also have new plugs and cap and rotor). the thing is, it still won't start. it will almost start every once in a while, but it won't stay running. the plugs are wet when i pull them out. starter fluid doesn't help at all. and, i don't want to have to go buy a $50 coil just to see if that's the problem, mostly because i don't have that kind of money right now. any ideas? does anybody know how to test it?

maka_RTH
12-08-2005, 03:49 PM
does anybody have any ideas on how to get my car started? it was running just fine, i'd never had a problem starting it, even if it sat for more than a month. and then, the other day, i was driving, and it seemed like it was misfiring or something, cuz a secondary loss of power, and then it just died. i couldn't get it started. the blue wire from the ignitor came off the coil, so i fixed that, and now i have spark, i have fuel at the rail, and i'm sure inside the cylinders too, cuz the spark plugs are wet, but it won't start. any ideas? i need to get this started..

Strugglebucket
12-08-2005, 08:55 PM
did you check all your fuses?

maka_RTH
12-09-2005, 02:14 PM
yes, all the fuses are good..

Strugglebucket
12-09-2005, 02:32 PM
i'd try hooking up a spare coil first and see if that solves the problem.

maka_RTH
12-10-2005, 03:56 PM
i'm pretty sure it's not the coil now. i replaced the cap and rotor with new ones (even though the ones i had were fairly decent shape) and the spark is consistently strong now. also, i checked my timing.., and it's still advanced the 2 degrees i had it set at. i dunno if retarding it might make it easier to start.., i haven't tried that. so, timing is good, spark is strong, plugs are wet meaning i'm getting fuel. also, i dunno if it maybe got kinda flooded or whatever, but i've disconnected the main relay (to shut off the fuel pump) and cranked it over to try and air out the cylinders. including doing that with the plugs out, so there's like no resistance and tons of air to flow through it. after doing that, it almost starts a lil better, but it still won't start. any ideas on why it might not be starting? any at all?

Oldblueaccord
12-10-2005, 07:16 PM
i'm pretty sure it's not the coil now. i replaced the cap and rotor with new ones (even though the ones i had were fairly decent shape) and the spark is consistently strong now. also, i checked my timing.., and it's still advanced the 2 degrees i had it set at. i dunno if retarding it might make it easier to start.., i haven't tried that. so, timing is good, spark is strong, plugs are wet meaning i'm getting fuel. also, i dunno if it maybe got kinda flooded or whatever, but i've disconnected the main relay (to shut off the fuel pump) and cranked it over to try and air out the cylinders. including doing that with the plugs out, so there's like no resistance and tons of air to flow through it. after doing that, it almost starts a lil better, but it still won't start. any ideas on why it might not be starting? any at all?

How do you check your timing without the car running ?

You can use a meter to check the resistance of coils > i dunno what the specs are but the MSD site shuld help. I thinks its the neg side to the primary is the inportant one. Also not sure what distrib. you have but you can meter out the ignitor as well.

Also do a search on the TW sensor. Seems there been a few here reporting terrible flooding at idle and it was a bad sensor.

wp

maka_RTH
12-11-2005, 12:30 AM
i can check the timing while turning it over. even if it's not running, it still sparks and the timing light still works. i did check the resistance on the primary coil, 0.9-1k ohms.., and the website said that it's supposed to be 0.7k. so, i bought a new one, and checked it's resistance, it was also 0.9-1k, so, my coil should be fine. when i have the plugs out and grounded to the frame, each with their own respective wire, they get a good strong spark. and, i'll do a search on the TW sensor.

Strugglebucket
12-12-2005, 04:29 PM
is your fuel pressure regulator working properly? only thing i can think of is you must be getting too much fuel somehow.

maka_RTH
12-12-2005, 05:25 PM
i think i am getting too much fuel. when i unplug the main relay, and crank it over, it sounds more like it wants to start then. but, when i plug it back in, it goes right back to just cranking. how do i test the regulator? and also, it's wierd that it would randomly go at the same time a wire comes loose..