PDA

View Full Version : Running custom kill switch

Chrome_thangs
05-05-2002, 11:41 PM
I was wondering if you found the ignition wire(black w/ yellow stripe) under that panel below the steering wheel could you splice a toggle switch to it for a kill switch?:eek:

winkie45
05-06-2002, 12:47 AM
a kill switch as in you can't start the car if the switch is one way, and you can when its the other way? if that's what your talking about, then yes, its possible. my alarm started smoking one day, and i opened it up and there was a fried chip in it. and my alarm had a starter kill relay, so i had two wires going from the ignition to the alarm, so i took those out and put them to a switch. i'm not sure exactly how to do it cuz i installed my alarm a long time ago, but i can find out how if you want.

Bobs89LXi
05-06-2002, 02:52 AM
I have found one of the best and easiest ways to keep punks from stealing your car if you don't have an alarm or a kill switch. All you have to do is remove the fuse for the ECU. It's very difficult to start the engine without the brain. A friend of mine has been doing it for years and it has prevented his car from being stolen three times. Each time he has found his car broken into and the ignition punched, but the car was still there. :D

Chrome_thangs
05-06-2002, 06:06 PM
Appreciate the help! Ya, that would be a big help Winkie45:super:

87DXHatch
05-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Will the ECU trick work with DX's? Any other crazy ways to keep DX's safe?

Bobs89LXi
05-08-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch
Will the ECU trick work with DX's? Any other crazy ways to keep DX's safe?

That's a good question. I know that it will work on any of the FI engines since the ECU runs both the injector solenoids and the igniton spark. I would assume that it would work on the carbed models as well.