PDA

View Full Version : shifted into park while the front wheel was moving

lamontlamont
12-08-2005, 02:31 PM
i had my car jacked up and i shifted from park to neutral. i then switched from neutral to park but what i didnt know was that the wheel that was jacked off the ground was moving. when i shifted into park i heard this clicking like somebody put a plastic fork into the spokes of a bicycle. the wheel eventually stopped after about 8 seconds. my question is, could this possibly effect my 1,2,3 or over drive gears? if i eventually lose my parking i dont care but i am conserned about the other gears. keep in mind the wheel was off of the ground and only one wheel was moving and the engine was doing about 2000rmp. next day i changed my transfluid just incase some metal was in the transmission but i didnt see any metal the fluid was very clean as i recently changed it about a month and a half ago. i used honda atf.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-08-2005, 04:20 PM
When you select park, the transmission is physically locked up through the use of a paddle that engages inside. What you heard was the paddle skipping on its indentations in the gear until it slowed down enough to engage completely. No damage done unless you can now move the car in the Park mode. Hope this helps.

lamontlamont
12-08-2005, 04:32 PM
thanks a lot, that is a relief i thought maybe i shortened the life of my tranny.

FyreDaug
12-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Well it is POSSIBLE that you shortened its life, as you did cause it to do something it shouldnt have, but this is just to spook you, it wont be a noticable differencec, but be careful, its much worse when the car is on the ground and moving. Either way, you should be safe.

lamontlamont
12-09-2005, 02:39 PM
i dont care if i shortened the life of the parking i was just concerned that it could cause problems with shifting and getting into or out of gear.

87AccordsterLx
12-11-2005, 10:24 PM
That wouldn't have effected your driving gears if that is what you are worried about.

VTEC_Inside
12-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Heck, I put my dads '90 Accord in park once while still rolling down the street at 5-10kph. Long story. That made some interesting noises, but there were no lasting noticeable effects.

Doing it with the wheels in the air would have put far less stress on it than I did. I'd say you're 100% fine. Still makes sense to use the parking brake on grades though.