PDA

View Full Version : The Honda Lives again....kinda

kaltenacht
12-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Whatsup everyone? Its been a while since I've made a post on here... So I've got a problem. Well two. In order to understand the problem I guess youll need a little background info. So these past few months I've been battleing to get the timing fixed on the old Accord. Turns out the previous owner didnt know what they were doing... What happened was the timing jumped on the car and the belt came off and broke through the old timing cover. So instead of fixing it they used tin foil and blue silicone to patch the timing cover back together and to fix the harmonic balancer. Well of course I found that out, only after the harmonic balancer quit turning and thus killed all of the belts as well as the timing belt... So with that said, I bought all the neccessary parts to fix the timing, new belt, new cover, new tensior, new water pump, and after a month of the belt coming off the crankshaft belt guide... (ya i forgot it, whoops). SO, me and my brother got it all back together finally and turned it over... Two things immediatly came up. The car now idles high... Around 3000 rpms in park... Then around 2500 in drive... Second, I've narrowed it down to either the alt belt or the water pump or the alternator itself, but when its running you get the rubbing/high pitched squealing sound. So what do you all think? I know this was kinda a long post, but I am at a loss as to what to do...

cardoc33
12-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Tighten your drive belts and look for a vacuum hose off.

Oldblueaccord
12-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Whatsup everyone? Its been a while since I've made a post on here... So I've got a problem. Well two. In order to understand the problem I guess youll need a little background info. So these past few months I've been battleing to get the timing fixed on the old Accord. Turns out the previous owner didnt know what they were doing... What happened was the timing jumped on the car and the belt came off and broke through the old timing cover. So instead of fixing it they used tin foil and blue silicone to patch the timing cover back together and to fix the harmonic balancer. Well of course I found that out, only after the harmonic balancer quit turning and thus killed all of the belts as well as the timing belt... So with that said, I bought all the neccessary parts to fix the timing, new belt, new cover, new tensior, new water pump, and after a month of the belt coming off the crankshaft belt guide... (ya i forgot it, whoops). SO, me and my brother got it all back together finally and turned it over... Two things immediatly came up. The car now idles high... Around 3000 rpms in park... Then around 2500 in drive... Second, I've narrowed it down to either the alt belt or the water pump or the alternator itself, but when its running you get the rubbing/high pitched squealing sound. So what do you all think? I know this was kinda a long post, but I am at a loss as to what to do...

timing. check it or get it checked, then set the idle. Might have to set the idle several times to get it right. Who knows what the other clowns did but figure they messed with everything they shouldn't have.

I know its a PIA make sure your at TDC to start with also.

wp

Honda-Master
12-10-2005, 12:52 AM
on the older accords if a vacc hose is off it will make engine run rough and idle lower .. so it is not a vacc leak..,,,make sure accell cable did not get kinked, chk timing make sure it is not too advanced , and as it was suggested prior chk the idle speed ,,,,,,,as for the squealing noise make sure all the belts are tight ... if they are, remove 1 belt at a time to pinpoint noise ...i know that the alt and water pump are the same belt ,,,spin pulley by hand and see if one is louder than normal

kaltenacht
12-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies... I am really wantin to get this thing back on the road, its a real bummer to keep running into this crap. But ill check out this stuff and Ill get back to ya.

kaltenacht
12-12-2005, 11:27 AM
K well I've done some more work on this thing and I've narrowed it down... One its not the belts because I realized that it was making the noise BEFORE i added the belts... Two it is not any of the vacuum lines... Its not the alt. as I originally had thought... Three its possible it might be the timing belt that I put on it...

I ran the car some more and this is what happened. Once the car reaches operating temperature the high idle reduces a bit i think it went to a little above 2000 rpm whereas it was originally at 3000. Two it has developed an overheating problem. I checked all the hoses and the new water pump I put on and it is def NOT leaking any coolant however the exhaust is emitting somewhat of a sweet smell to it. Also the coolant seems to be disappearing. This is leading me to believe that maybe some of the coolant is leaking into the cylinders... How possible is this? Am I way off here or does this sound plausible at all?

Let me know what you all think, its starting to look like Im going to need a new engine…

Mac
12-12-2005, 06:02 PM
It could be a blown head gasket. Check the oil and see if there is coolant mixed in. Also check the coolant for oil.

kaltenacht
12-12-2005, 09:03 PM
I thought it might be the head gasket as well. Me and my brother are going to do a compression test on all the cylinders soon to check the levels and im going to drain the oil to check for antifreeze...

Cant Stop
12-13-2005, 07:43 PM
ya just remember the oil may not be contaminated even with a bad gasket or worse a warped head i had a car that would blow a smoke screen of coolant but the oil looked good ,the heads were toast but it ran good!

Cant Stop
12-13-2005, 07:47 PM
a disconnected vacum line can cause the car to run a fast idle i left the brake booster off after doing the black box removal and it was idling at 4,000 rpm why i dont know but i have friends as witnesses after putting it back on it settled down.
also sweet exhaust is definitely a sign coolant is being burned thru your exhaust, oil may not show it though.

88Accord-DX
12-13-2005, 07:57 PM
I agree on a previous post. I had coolant that kept disappearing, but had no leaks on hoses anywhere. I came to the conclution that my head gasket had a small leak going into the cylinders, but wasn't significant to really tell from smell or nothing.
Then again, my car got hot one time, which problems always happens afterwards. I'm at the point just to rebuild the whole damn engine & be done with it. :cool:

Edit- There isn't a harmonic balancer on 86-89 Accords. Mostly "big block" engines have them.