PDA

View Full Version : three g mini shrine

lostforawhile
12-09-2005, 05:14 PM
hey i have an idea,I know a lot of people on here are getting rid of three gs they care a lot about, i'm going to start a mini shrine im my shop for the cars that have died. if anyone is going to have to get rid of their cars and wants to send me a little piece and a picture,nothing big,just something to remember your car,i'll put it up in my shop. it just makes me sad when we lose another one. just email me first. :sadwave:

Y3G
12-09-2005, 06:11 PM
http://c.myspace.com/Groups/00008/09/05/8015090_l.jpg
here you go bro
the o.g yellow 3rd gen

lostforawhile
12-09-2005, 06:28 PM
all right as soon as i get my printer going here that'll be the first on the wall

w261w261
12-09-2005, 07:20 PM
I think that's a very nice, even romantic, idea. And it's true that the 3G's are losing ground. I'm not sure about the members of this site, but in the regular world, they're getting to be less and less visible. In that world, they've become beaters with little maintenance, and driven til they drop. Because they're such basically good cars, they can take a lot before they go terminal, but eventually they'll join the 2G as virtually extinct. In our world, they'll hang around longer because we make what are really non-economic decisions about spending money to keep them going. And we have to live with the unpleasant fact that at any time, what would be a minor fender-bender in a newer car will total ours out. How many people here have collision or comprehensive insurance (sound of few hands being raised). This past summer, I had a brush with a truck, and collected the very max I could get without the vehicle ending up with a salvage title. The total was $1,450.00, and the only reason I got that much was the adjuster was a car guy, and could see my ride was pristine. I mostly keep the comprehensive insurance on it because that's the only way I can get glass insurance, and I've already had one claim for my $600 bronze-tinted available-only-from-Honda Se-i windshield. I drive my car quite a bit (20k per year), and it has 170k on it now, so I expect there to be expenses. But if it was just a question of money, I couldn't justify the bucks I've put into it. Just in the past year, there's been all new bushings front and rear, 4 new control arms, one new driveshaft, new water pump, timing belt, hoses, belts, calipers rear, Brembo rotors, Eibach/Bilsteins (the Bilsteins 3x as I refined the damping), new clutch/rear seal, muffler, cat, thermostat, plug wires/plugs, leather repair to driver's seat, window switches, window controller, rear wheel bearings/rear ball joints. With the exception of the shocks/springs/rotors, everything that was replaced was done so because the old stuff was gone or was about to go (I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance, being a pilot will do that to you). I don't want to even begin to run a total on it. And I haven't had to get into the motor at all...yet. Now I'm fortunate that I can afford to indulge my affection for my Se-i, but that's what it's come down to now with these cars. You want to make an economic decision on them? Drive them til they drop or need a big repair, then get a 5G and move on. I also have a 6G ('98) and every time I get back in my '89 I feel like I'm home. But home costs a lot, either in time or money, and we do it because we want to. But our ranks thin a little every month. A shrine is a great idea. Maybe with a photo every so often as it grows. But there is light at the end of the tunnel...in only 8 years we can get classic plates (at least in CT), and get stated value insurance.

lostforawhile
12-10-2005, 11:32 PM
we may have to do one on here,stupid crackheads broke into my shop and destroyed it. we have spent the last 7 hours hauling what was not stolen out of there . so at the moment I have no shop to put the pictures in. years putting my junk just the way i want it and now i had to clear out everything. you should be able to shoot crackheads on site, :sad2:

speedpenguin
12-11-2005, 06:04 AM
i'm really sorry to hear about that, man. i hope insurance covers that.
nice idea w/ the shrine, too. our cars need to be venerated so we can get a little bit of cult status outside of this immediate community.
and yeah, i've definitely spent more than three times what this car is worth just this past fall. not to mention the money i've just spent last week on front suspension and brake repair (CV boot, balljoint, two rotors, and a set of pads, still need to buy a caliper)
it'll be nice for my 3G to have a place to be remembered if it ever bites the dust, although hopefully that won't be for a long time.

lostforawhile
12-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I think these cars will develop a cult status outside of the community,i used to restore and race 81 to 83 civics,back then no one cared about them, now every time i see one there are a bunch of people around it. mine being custom,it develops a fair amount of intrest at car shows even being entered as a project. I think one thing we all need to do is get more involved in the car show scene with these cars. if you have some of the nice custom jobs at the car shows and cruise ins,people start asking questions about them. many cruise ins used to be traditional hot rods and antiques,but older imports are making inroads there. also at the car shows people get tired of looking at the civic with the same body kit and bolt ons as the last one. if we have some custom accords there,it gives them an alternative and something different. besides people who own one might look at it and say i'm going to do that to my car too. these cars are affordable to people unlike many of the classics which are priced out of range of most of the general public. I believe I saw one on the honda at speed special,the fact that old honda are geting air time and their own special is a good sign.